Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

2001 Throwing P0103 code and idle dropping to under 500, sometimes

Pete W

Corvette
2001 Arctic White Coupe
Hey guys,
I have been doing some searching here and I am not really sure if I am headed in the right direction, or not.

First off, I have a 2001 C5 with 75k miles. It has been modified by East Coast Performance in NJ with their N/A cam package. It comes with a comes with a cam, performance springs,titanium retainers, ported throttle body, ported oil pump, 160 therm, double roller timing chain, etc, with a full dyno tune. It also has a Vara intake, AAR long tube headers (who makes these can't find info), and a full Borla exhaust. The car made 400 RWHP on a Dynopack dyno. Here is the issue now. I have the car for a week. It runs great and is a blast to drive, but coming up to stop signs it sometimes will go under 500 RPM but will then catch itself and get back up to ~1000 RPM range. It will also do this at start up some times. If I shut down, and restart, it fixes itself. I also noticed that the car smells rich sometimes. It hasn't been doing it consistently, but I would like to fix this before it becomes a problem.

I pulled the wire off the MAF and the idle would die down. It returned to normal when I hooked it up. I am not sure if this is a good test, though, since my problem is intermittent. I am thinking that either the connection is dirty, or maybe it is a bad MAF. I noticed all the parts places are carrying rebuilt MAF's, so it must be common. Any help with my issue would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hey guys,
I have been doing some searching here and I am not really sure if I am headed in the right direction, or not.

First off, I have a 2001 C5 with 75k miles. It has been modified by East Coast Performance in NJ with their N/A cam package. It comes with a comes with a cam, performance springs,titanium retainers, ported throttle body, ported oil pump, 160 therm, double roller timing chain, etc, with a full dyno tune. It also has a Vara intake, AAR long tube headers (who makes these can't find info), and a full Borla exhaust. The car made 400 RWHP on a Dynopack dyno. Here is the issue now. I have the car for a week. It runs great and is a blast to drive, but coming up to stop signs it sometimes will go under 500 RPM but will then catch itself and get back up to ~1000 RPM range. It will also do this at start up some times. If I shut down, and restart, it fixes itself. I also noticed that the car smells rich sometimes. It hasn't been doing it consistently, but I would like to fix this before it becomes a problem.

I pulled the wire off the MAF and the idle would die down. It returned to normal when I hooked it up. I am not sure if this is a good test, though, since my problem is intermittent. I am thinking that either the connection is dirty, or maybe it is a bad MAF. I noticed all the parts places are carrying rebuilt MAF's, so it must be common. Any help with my issue would be appreciated. Thanks.
Im a purdy much Stock production man and it's been my experience with Cold Air intakes that they throw MAF codes!:thumb:thumb:thumb Usally the problem is a over oiled air filter sucking it into the MAF sensor!!:thumb Get a can of sensor safe Air Intake and Throttle Body cleaner and clean the MAF and check out your air filter,it's probly been over oiled!!:thumb:thumb:thumb

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom