Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

2002 Z28 Fun (What was the Proper Response?)

Allthumbs

Corvette
1981 white coupe
I have had my C3 for 5 months or so now. The other day I pulled up to a red light where directly ahead of me and pointed in my direction sat a 2002 Camaro (these things have what ? 300+ HP ?).

Anway, He had been sitting there for awhile but... when I stopped at the light the engine revving (on his part) began and he peeled out seemingly flooring the car down a mile or so of straight road and probably in the end of his show of force exceeding the 45mph speed limit by 65mph !

The question to my fellow CAC C3's is this.. What should have been the appropriate response to this ?

My response was to simply smile and say to myself that I am driving a 25 year old car that might have had the most HP of any domestic vehicle made for its year (ie. Hey buddy, too bad that is not an '81 Camaro !) and to feel proud that the mere sight of my "81 made this driver jealous with Shark Envy ! No, I did not Waive !:)

Any thoughts.. feedback .. similar experiences !

Tom

:w

you probably did the right thing . and yes as for the shark vette envy thing Steve

good way to handle.

But I don't recall 81 vette's being HP monster,I mean what 190hp.

"... The question to my fellow CAC C3's is this.. What should have been the appropriate response to this ?.... My response was to simply smile and say to myself that I am driving a 25 year old car .... and to feel proud that the mere sight of my "81 made this driver jealous with Shark Envy ! No, I did not Waive !

Tom,

I would have done the same as you.

I've experience that kind of show-boating mostly from the sport imports folks... rarely from other V-8s. Actually other vintage cars wave to one another in my area. In fact, just this afternoon I was driving my Camaro (we had awesome weather today), and I crossed paths with a 1969-ish Chevelle -- I got a big wave from the guy... and I can think of a couple of other similar instances while driving my Vette - one with an orange 69 Z-28, and the other with a Nova with a huge hood scoop. Both times, these guys came up from behind me, and when they were next to me - gave me a thumbs up. I focus on the camaraderie I've received from fellow vintage car owners - since those positives farther outweigh the silliness of the others.

You have a C3, man... the most recognizable American Classic car! So you can expect some people will envy you (c'mon you've seen the guys at stoplights who readjust their mirrors to check out your shark, the double-takes, the pointing, etc).

So, the next time some joker (esp. in a sport import ) starts revving, etc., just remember he's just trying to flex his "muscles". Just give em a wave!... You'll probably confuse the heck out of him!!

Wouldn't confuse me at all. I actually still wave at every Vette that I see passing (you can ask my wife) no matter what year. I still have yet to get a wave back, but I have never had anyone give me an ugly look or peel out or anything for waving. I've had a good run with a 90 before, but still no wave. And yes the weather was beautiful today, to bad we have a nasty storm coming through tonight.

I'd say definitely the appropriate response. That Z would have kicked your butt, assuming your car is stock. It is interesting though that everyone wants to challenge you just because you own a Vette. BTW, I sold an 81 Z28 to get my Vette last year, and I'm sure your 81 would have taken my 81.

Just smile and wave smile and wave.....My mom and da have a 2002 Z28 Convertible with 3500 miles and Ill tell you what a ride......C3's and Camaros co-exist in my family....:D

I have had my C3 for 5 months or so now. The other day I pulled up to a red light where directly ahead of me and pointed in my direction sat a 2002 Camaro (these things have what ? 300+ HP ?).

Anway, He had been sitting there for awhile but... when I stopped at the light the engine revving (on his part) began and he peeled out seemingly flooring the car down a mile or so of straight road and probably in the end of his show of force exceeding the 45mph speed limit by 65mph !

The question to my fellow CAC C3's is this.. What should have been the appropriate response to this ?

My response was to simply smile and say to myself that I am driving a 25 year old car that might have had the most HP of any domestic vehicle made for its year (ie. Hey buddy, too bad that is not an '81 Camaro !) and to feel proud that the mere sight of my "81 made this driver jealous with Shark Envy ! No, I did not Waive !:)

Any thoughts.. feedback .. similar experiences !

Tom

Please don't judge all Camaro owners because of one jerk. If you had raced him and he won and told a friend don't you think their first remark would be "It's 21 years older than yours!" He will find out in 2023 when he's sitting at the lights and a new vette pulls up;) . Vettes are appreciated by all but some don't know how to react except to try to "Beat a vette". Laugh it off and congratulations on the beauty you have there. EVERYONE WANTS A VETTE so he viewed you with envy!

The 2002 Z28 has a 5.7L LS1 V8 with 310HP @ 5200 RPM and 340 lb-ft torque @ 4000 RPM. The SS puts out 325 HP (Forced air induction). Sure it's fun, I love having mine but no disrespect intended but it ISN'T A VETTE! I got a great deal for my money but couldn't afford another $30,000+ for a vette when I bought my Z28. Good thing is they are all Chevy and a blast to own and drive:lou

Safe cruising
Doug

PS: I get it all the time too with old beaters and Civics with 4" diameter fart cans. Not worth wasting the gas or getting a ticket for. When I'm cruising at 60 and floor it and watch that needle fly I don't need any other proof of what I have.

Actually Doug, my W drives a 2000 Camaro conv with a 3.8L 6cyl engine... that has the same HP as mine... 190 HP. :L That modern technology ! The vettes a little lighter though so maybe a little quicker ?.

Thanks everyone for your replies. It has been quite awhile since I have owned a car someone would have any interest in let alone blow down the road for show when they see it !.. and yes.. it is a "cruiser" and I would have been toast !:upthumbs 325 HP ? Yikes !

Tom :w

Tom , don't forget your Vette is rated at net HP . Thats HP after the alternator and all the accessories, not the engine rating. In the early 70s in one years time HP fell dramatically and there were no mechanical changes.
People will argue this to the moon but I would like to see your stock engine on a dyno.

I too just let them pass, I have a Corvette not a racecar.

Hi Nutz ! Yes.. that would start quite a debate I would think :D ! The last car I owned that anyone would ever try to race etc.. was a '75 Camaro and I seem to recall it had a 145 Hp rating.. I "restored" it '81 when I was in college.. it was so rusty !

I also managed to drop the air cleaner housing wingnut into the carb.. hence my name on this site ! That was also the last car I ever received a ticket of any kind in... and that was..knock gently on fiberglass.. 1986.. so yep.. no racing !:L

Tom

Tom,

You won by simply not racing. It's like when I (un)intentionally cut someone off (and I'm not in the vette). I wave at them as if I was acknowledging them letting me cut in. I figure it's gotta drive 'em even more nuts if I get them thinking that I think they let me in. If the object is to humiliate the other guy, you win by rejecting him.

Leave your shark as a street cruiser. There ain't gonna be many vehicles that you'll win any races against. And if you do, it's gonna be against cars that aren't even worthy of parking next to you.

"Yo, you a'ight, man..." :upthumbs :D

I own both a 97 Z28 and a 82 Vette, yes the 2002 Z28 would have had you (My wife and i tried it out once, no contest, even with the 97 with "only 285hp), i am surprised he tried you in the first place. Usually Camaro's and Vettes share the road quitly nicely, waving and acknowledging the same parents.. ;)

When i get a wanna race offer, i let them jump, ruin their tires, if they feel like it and laugh friendly and wave at them. I will leave it up to others to show them who's boss. I am not going to waste my rubber and gas on a wanna-be.. :)

-Stefan

PS: And yes, some of those "challengers" will have me easy and i wont give them the story to tell

Good guys drive white.Also please remember Vetts are living breatin'things with feelings.Possibly your Vett felt it didn't want to lower it's standards.Still think you did the right thing.

Thanks Guys !:upthumbs

I guess the bottom line consensus is...

I am driving (on nice days ) a fairly well preserved example of American Automobile History... I will neither worry about what other car owners do in its presence nor abuse it but instead maintain it as best I can and let others burn rubber and gas in its honor !!:D

Tom:w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom