Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

2003 ABS, Traction Control and Steering Wheel Lock Need Service

Gnettinger

Corvette
2003 Special Anniversary
I have a 2003 with less than 19,000 miles. Have a battery disconnect because the car sits for months at a time. It started to show Service ABS. After driving for a while it disappeared. Then it started showing Service ABS and Service Traction Control. Again after driving for some time both alerts went away. But they keep coming back. I took it to the Chevy dealer and they could not determine the cause. Now it is also showing Service Steering Column Lock. I thought these might be due to sensors that are getting dirty/dusty due to the car sitting so long but they don't seem to be clearing any longer. Any suggestions on what I might need to do to remedy these alerts? Aside from these alerts the car runs perfectly.

Well, first off, welcome aboard. :w Been a long time since I had my C5, but as I recall this is a common problem, but I don't remember the solution. I'll do some searching to see if I can find that for you.

This should be of some help.

Thank you Tom. I did go through the codes and found C1214 H C to be the only one that won't reset. Will look into either having the EBCM repaired or replaced. Found a link on the forum to help with this. Appreciate you taking time to respond. My corvettes; 1987, 2002 and bought the 2003 within 11 months of having the new 2002. May end up selling the 2003, rarely driving it any more.

Hope you can figure it out!

I have a 2003 with less than 19,000 miles. Have a battery disconnect because the car sits for months at a time. It started to show Service ABS. After driving for a while it disappeared. Then it started showing Service ABS and Service Traction Control. Again after driving for some time both alerts went away. But they keep coming back. I took it to the Chevy dealer and they could not determine the cause. Now it is also showing Service Steering Column Lock. I thought these might be due to sensors that are getting dirty/dusty due to the car sitting so long but they don't seem to be clearing any longer. Any suggestions on what I might need to do to remedy these alerts? Aside from these alerts the car runs perfectly.
Get a battery tender. Keeps system active, will also extend the life of your battery.

Got it fixed. Removed the EBCM, resoldered the relay, reinstalled - FIXED. Appreciate the help from the forum, saved me a ton of money.
Regarding a battery tender, I have gone through 2 of the Battery Tender Plus (has a green face). Twice I had my battery short out when I went to start up after leaving a store - very frustrating. Also had one of the tenders smoke in the garage. Found the simple quarter turn battery disconnect to be much better. Even if I let the car set for 4 months, give the disconnect a quarter turn and the car starts right up. No more battery failures, no more $200 batteries to buy.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom