Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! 2003 hard steering

hub_cap

Corvette
2003 50th AE Convert, Auto, '04 Z06 CE #174
59th AE has started being hard to steer, fluid is at half full mark, no sign of leaking.

The first thing to do is top off the power steering fluid and see if that improves the situation with the heavy feel of the steering; changing it out wouldn't be a bad idea either. Continuing to let the pump run with insufficient fluid could result in damage to it.

I personally don't know of any leakage problems with the C5 power steering system, but I'm sure if there are any someone will come along to so state. Clearly the fluid is going somewhere; it could be that the source of the leak (perhaps the reservoir itself) won't be revealed until there's more fluid in the system?

59th AE has started being hard to steer, fluid is at half full mark, no sign of leaking.

Make sure that your tire pressures are correct, and that your tires are in good condition.

Hard to steer can have many meanings, do you mean more effort required than normal to turn the steering wheel?

Inspect all power steering hoses. Replace as necessary.

If the steering fluid has never been changed, first thing I'd do is flush the system and refill to the full mark with fresh fluid. Bleed the system according to the Service Manual. Then road test. Drive the car a while to warm the fluid then compare the current steering feel with what it was before.

If, after flushing and refilling, if steering effort is still high, you may need to replace the pump and or the rack.

Inspect all power steering hoses. Replace as necessary.

If the steering fluid has never been changed, first thing I'd do is flush the system and refill to the full mark with fresh fluid. Bleed the system according to the Service Manual. Then road test. Drive the car a while to warm the fluid then compare the current steering feel with what it was before.

If, after flushing and refilling, if steering effort is still high, you may need to replace the pump and or the rack.

Thanks as,always, Hib. Fluid never changed with 55k on the car. Time to do it.
Fred Hale

Although (IMO and GM's) the fluid does need changed; due to heat, P/S fluid can vaporize, it doesn't evaporate. So being half down catches my attention..

First, I would do as Tim suggested or check for leaks. Then as LLC5 suggested, check tire pressures as low tire pressures increase heat and as a result vaporization.

My P/S fluid was low and I looked; guess what there was a leak. My baby now has a Rare Parts Rack and Pinion. It is superior to stock Fortunately for my wallet, my daughter's s/o is a master tech and I used his dealership discount...

Almost overnight, the rack on my 2001 started leaking....like gushing out. I had to have the entire rack replaced. Never knew there was a problem until is was literally running out. Even then it steered OK, just could keep fluid in the system.

Drained fluid

Sucked out fluid with hypo needle, filled the fresh fluid, we see if this works before next step.
Thanks for the input and suggestions.

You have to flush the system, not just drain the reserviour. You want to get the old fluid out of the pump, the lines and the rack.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom