Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

2003 Magnetic Selective Ride Control Bounce

B

Blade

Anyone else have this feeling on their 2003 50th with the Magnetic Selective Ride Control package:

On 55+ MPH driving, when I hit bumps in the road the car will sometimes start bouncing like a car with worn shocks for a few seconds, then settles down to great driving again. Ride control switched to the Tour selection. Is this normal on the Magnetic Selective Ride Control package or time to take her into the dealer.

:Steer

HI there,
I would suggest that you check for codes in the DIC for your RTD system.
Does the rear, or front bounce???? Does the car bounce the same with the car in sport??????
Please keep us posted, c4c5:hb

NC 50anny, I think that you are talking about taking the car to the dealer. The codes will tell you where the problem you have is occurring; however, you are still looking at a trip to the dealer for a fix. Please post the results - I have the F55 option on my Coupe, so I am more than merely curious about the outcome.

NC 50anny
I've logged about 1500 miles on my Coupe and I live in a rural area where finding roads without bumps is hard to do. I use the touring mode alot and haven't had any trouble yet. Maybe a trip back to the dealer wouldn't be a bad idea.

Sounds to me like the dealer left the shock stuffers in.

The MSRC cars are shipped with a foam block in the shock. They should be removed by the dealer during prep. I hear the many dealers are only removing the front pair or rear pair but not all 4.

Get under the car and look at the shocks. If you find a yellow plastic strip hanging out of the dust boot, you still have the shock stuffers in place. Take it back to the dealer and have them remove them.

There is more information about this on the 50th Registry site.

Let us know what you find!

NC 50anny said:
Anyone else have this feeling on their 2003 50th with the Magnetic Selective Ride Control package:

On 55+ MPH driving, when I hit bumps in the road the car will sometimes start bouncing like a car with worn shocks for a few seconds, then settles down to great driving again. Ride control switched to the Tour selection. Is this normal on the Magnetic Selective Ride Control package or time to take her into the dealer.

UPDATE: Thanks for Tuna's Tip, none of the Shock Stuffers were ever removed during dealer prep. :mad

She's going to a different dealer to have them removed and become a new customer.

What a bone head (the delivering dealer)! When the car leaves the factory, there is a sheet that goes with it to remind the dealer to remove the blocks in the Pre-Delivery Inspection. Good dealers give you the sheet with the service technician's autograph attesting to the fact that they removed the blocks. (At least mine did as part of the delivery process.) You definitely want to take your business elsewhere.

Separately, I am glad that the blocks were the source of the problem. (Instead of with the F55 suspension components.)

UPDATE: Thanks for Tuna's Tip, none of the Shock Stuffers were ever removed during dealer prep.

You're welcome.

It's hard to believe that after 10 months, dealers are still letting their vehicle prep guys and gals do this. It ruins the customer/dealer relationship. Not to mention the driving experience lost.

Once the shock stuffers are removed, you should not have any more problems and the ride with be very sweet.

NC 50anny,
Stuffers out now?
How is the ride now?

Just picked-up the Vette from my new dealer. Stuffers removed, she rides like silk! Will take her into the NC mountains this weekend for some high-performance cruising! :cool

Both dealers I worked with on getting an AE had no understanding about the car. When I was looking into purchasing, both gave me incorrect information. Best one was about the Museum Delivery Charge: "...Oh that is for collectors that would like the car wrapped-up and delivered to their private collection"!
:duh

Any suggestions on who I should send my "Hell Raising" comments to about these problem? :hb

Any suggestions on who I should send my "Hell Raising" comments to about these problem?

Not a one. Wish I did but it seems like your problem with dealers is everywhere.
Take care.

NC 50anny said:
Just picked-up the Vette from my new dealer. Stuffers removed, she rides like silk! Will take her into the NC mountains this weekend for some high-performance cruising! :cool

Both dealers I worked with on getting an AE had no understanding about the car. When I was looking into purchasing, both gave me incorrect information. Best one was about the Museum Delivery Charge: "...Oh that is for collectors that would like the car wrapped-up and delivered to their private collection"!
:duh

Any suggestions on who I should send my "Hell Raising" comments to about these problem? :hb

Got a similar response about museum delivery when ordering my 00. They told me it would come wrapped in plastic in a closed container so it would be delivered scratch and dent free. I told the dealer forget it because if it wasn't perfect I would refuse delivery anyway. They just make it up as they go along. Funny stuff.

I had the same issue. Jacked it up myself and removed the chocks. I saved them to deliver to the dealer when I go for service. The Dealer has great service, it is the prep folks that don't get it. No biggie.
Ken

Tuna you are so the man. If I had an Anny that wasn't prepped correctly just not sure how I would react. We have some pretty good dealers here in Atlanta area, but unfortunately it's typical.

My '96 rumbles down the road like a hay wagon without shocks compared to that one. I love it.

tlong said:
Tuna you are so the man. If I had an Anny that wasn't prepped correctly just not sure how I would react. We have some pretty good dealers here in Atlanta area, but unfortunately it's typical.

My '96 rumbles down the road like a hay wagon without shocks compared to that one. I love it.
Thanks.

You would think that the dealers would read the stuff stuck on the car and be more knowledgeable about what they are delivering. The new car buyer should not be required to be an expert on their new car in order to ensure that it is prepped correctly.

I took museum delivery on my Annie and it was well worth it. The people at the NCM know Vettes and know how to do it right. It was a great experience. At the time, I didn't even know there was such a thing as a shock stuffer. I'm glad I didn't have to know. Joining the 50th Registry has helped a bunch also.

I understand that GM quit putting the shock stuffers in the MagRide shocks now just to prevent this problem from continuing - probably couldn't beat the dealers over the head enough for it to sink in.

Later,

I remember reading a post about a pre-production 2003 F55 Corvette given to the media for evaluation. Several writers had already driven the car with them still in place. I doubt those reviews were positive about the F55 ride quality.

The writer evaluating the car was talking to a customer who had a car on order. He mentioned the shipping blocks and he and the writer crawled under and removed the stuffers.

Also - Some replacement shocks were installed and the tech left these stuffers in place.

:beer

I have been having trouble with my MSR also. Not just at higher speeds but in general. I have had it in to the dealer 3 times now. I had trouble with it from the start. In fact, I have to take it in again this week. It feels like I'm riding in a truck. If you have any thoughts on how to really get it handled let me know. My email address is corvettejan@hotmail.com. Good luck on yours. Jan

janbush said:
I have been having trouble with my MSR also. Not just at higher speeds but in general. I have had it in to the dealer 3 times now. I had trouble with it from the start. In fact, I have to take it in again this week. It feels like I'm riding in a truck. If you have any thoughts on how to really get it handled let me know. My email address is corvettejan@hotmail.com. Good luck on yours. Jan
Do you and your dealer really know if the shock stuffers have been removed???

Put the car on a lift and look under the rubber boot on each shock. If there is a hard foam block stuck up in there (they should have a yellow tail attached), remove them.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom