Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

2004 Commemorative Z06 (RPO Z16) and Hood Ripple Effect

Rob

Site Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Corvette
1990 Corvette ZR-1
In Corvettes at Carlisle this weekend there was some discussion about a very slight/subtle ripple effect seen in some of the carbon fiber hoods on the new Commemorative Edition Z06s.

This is NORMAL and not any kind of a defect. Not all Commemorative Edition Z06s exhibit this anomaly, but it is a result of the manufacturing process.

I looked at 4 Z16 Z06s today and spent considerable time examining the hoods in various shades of natural lighting. I could not detect any kind of ripple effect in the finish. In fact, I think the hood looks awesome with the new LeMans Blue Metallic paint and the special decals.

Very interesting. I've read on other forums that quality issues with the CF hood are causing delays in production and delivery. Do you know anything about it? I have a vested interest as I have a Z16 on order that TPW was pushed back over a month with no apparent explanation.
Thanks

• Admin
chunkydee said:
Very interesting. I've read on other forums that quality issues with the CF hood are causing delays in production and delivery. Do you know anything about it? I have a vested interest as I have a Z16 on order that TPW was pushed back over a month with no apparent explanation.
Thanks
On Saturday, Dave Hill mentioned briefly that they were experiencing production problems with the Z16 and that they were doing the best they could to alleviate the problems. He didn't go into details about what those problems are, however, I wouldn't be surprised if the production problems are either with the hood or the wheels since those are the two most unique items to the Z16, other than the decals.

Dave had said many times that the chromed Z06 wheels are actually a bear to manufacture because of the tight corners and edges of the wheel design and the chroming process. As a result, it takes more time and more care to manufacture the chromed Z06 wheels and there is more room for error - in other words, if a wheel comes out with too many defects in the finish, they might decide to just scrap the wheel rather than try to invest the time to conduct repairs and refinish.

The carbon fiber hood is a manual process consisting of laying several layers of carbon fiber down in a mold. Based upon how Dave described the process this morning, I almost pictured it like how the fiberglass body panels were manufactured back in 1953 for the first Corvettes. That's probably wrong, but that's how I had pictured it.

Thanks for the quick and informative reply. Wonder why Hill and/or GM isn't saying what exactly the production issues are. Makes one suspicious, doesn't it? Also, the wheels are polished not chromed. Keep us posted if your able to glean more info. I'll stay tuned.

HI there,
I can supplement Rob here.
These 2 points are very true, as there are very few places that can produce carbon fibre panels to engineering tolernaces. However, your process thinking of the laying of the layers on the hood are correct, and accurate.
We were there together in the engineering tent, and another thing that was pointed out.
Availability of parts, the shocks are slow coming in from Germany for the Z, which will also slow production.
There is only 1 place which is making the wheels to this point, and the polishing process takes much longer than the 5 spokes of the past.
So, with all that in mind, I would simply be patient.
These are still the best c5 yet.
Allthebest, c4c5:hb

• Admin
chunkydee said:
Thanks for the quick and informative reply. Wonder why Hill and/or GM isn't saying what exactly the production issues are. Makes one suspicious, doesn't it? Also, the wheels are polished not chromed. Keep us posted if your able to glean more info. I'll stay tuned.
Actually, I could be wrong then. I could swear the wheels were chromed because the luster is that intense on them. Now that I'm sitting here thinking about what the wheels looked like - damn, that is one hell of a polishing job!

As for Dave Hill not saying what the production problems were - honestly, he seemed to state that they were experiencing slight production problems, in passing. He moved on to another subject and nobody inquired about them during the Q&A session. If you listened to him talk about the wheels and the hood construction, you could basically determine that chances are, those two items were probably responsible. That's just assumption on my part.

Rob said:
Actually, I could be wrong then. I could swear the wheels were chromed because the luster is that intense on them. Now that I'm sitting here thinking about what the wheels looked like - damn, that is one hell of a polishing job!

As for Dave Hill not saying what the production problems were - honestly, he seemed to state that they were experiencing slight production problems, in passing. He moved on to another subject and nobody inquired about them during the Q&A session. If you listened to him talk about the wheels and the hood construction, you could basically determine that chances are, those two items were probably responsible. That's just assumption on my part.

They are polished. And I heard him say that Chevy was having problems also. And it was real nice to meet ya Rob. I'm going to come to one of the Va. meets just to let ya have a little taste of Z06!! :_rock :_rock
Also, my CCA and Tony's is having our annual Vette drags and show day at Capital Raceway in Crofton, Md. Sunday, september 7th. Here's a flyer:
http://www.capitolraceway.com/flyers/9-7-03CorvetteDay.jpg and yes that is my Z06 on front and no that is tire smoke from the car in front of me. ;shrug

• Admin
msiska said:
They are polished. And I heard him say that Chevy was having problems also. And it was real nice to meet ya Rob. I'm going to come to one of the Va. meets just to let ya have a little taste of Z06!! :_rock :_rock
Also, my CCA and Tony's is having our annual Vette drags and show day at Capital Raceway in Crofton, Md. Sunday, september 7th. Here's a flyer:
http://www.capitolraceway.com/flyers/9-7-03CorvetteDay.jpg and yes that is my Z06 on front and no that is tire smoke from the car in front of me. ;shrug
Mike,

It was great to meet you too! I'm looking forward to that ride in the Z. Unfortunately, I won't be able to attend the Corvette Day event as I'll be at the New Jersey Shore attempting to relax and "unplug" for a bit. ;)

Thanks guys. I appreciate the information and I appreciate having this resource. If I hear anything more I'll be sure to post it. In meantime, we're waiting patiently, we know it'll be worth it. Later.

I've read elsewhere that the hold stems from problems with the decals' adhesion and hood finish.

Mine looks ok to me.:)

2699super_duper_car_tires.jpg

rear tires...

Nice pic .. saw your others .. can't wait to shoot mine in OR

Your rear tires - did you change them out? They really look awesome. Power to the pavement sized.

Derald

Hey,
New to the forum, but thought I'd throw my 0.2 cents in as well. I have a Z16 and have inquired into the production problems, they seem to stem from the hood finish. I spoke with a couple people who toured Bowling Green in November, One was told the Z16 production was stopped at that time, it has since restarted. The other actually saw a stack of CF hoods wil chualk markings highlighting defects.
I believe all this has been worked out and they are building them again. The C6 will be built at the same time as the C5 for a period of time, I believe C5 production will end in July and C6 production will begin in April. So both generations may be side by side on the line.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom