Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

2004 Coupe Passenger Door Window Problem

spiral gray

Corvette
2004 Spiral Gray Metallic
The passenger window is making a scratching noise when lowering or raising the window. The window goes up and down without a problem and I do not see any scratching on the glass. Can anyone tell me what is causing this scratching noise.

Thanks, Spiral Gray

It may not be scratching the glass or it is and you can't see it yet. I would stop using the window until you go into the door and figure out what is going on. Just Goggle on how to get into the door. I think I have a link on my laptop but not here on my desktop. Let us know if you need further help.

One thing to try and it won't hurt anything, with my old Volvo back in 2000 it developed what I thought was a motor that was on the way out so the glass would hardly go up or down. Heck the car was almost new at that point.

Going on a ski trip and I hit it with some Rain-X and it really helped. Later I did the inside with the Rain-X no fog and the outside again with the Rain-X regular stuff and slicked the rubber seal with a nice wipe of it when the window was down. That was back in 2000 and when it comes out of service this week, I'll hit it again. Twice a year and it's fine.

I hope you are as lucky.

Take a credit card and insert it between the wiper and the window and run it back and forth to clean any debris from the lip. Do both inside and out and see if it help.

I tried the suggestions, but still have the noise. The window goes up and down without problem, but is there a guide that runs on a track that could be making the noise. Any help is appreciated. Thanks, Spiral Gray

My guess is one of the plastic pulleys on the regulator is broken and let the cable slip off and it's sawing the spindle the pulley is on in two!:thumb

Keep using it and you'll find out for sure when the window falls down on the coldest day of the year with 6 inches of freezing rain!~!! :D

It may not be scratching the glass or it is and you can't see it yet. I would stop using the window until you go into the door and figure out what is going on. Just Goggle on how to get into the door. I think I have a link on my laptop but not here on my desktop. Let us know if you need further help.

Why are you so reluctant to take the door panel off and actually SEE what is going on? If you need guidance on doing that then just ask.

Here is a link with a lot of info on removal:

How to remove door panel?? - Corvette Forum

Well the easy fix didn't happen so here's a look at what comes next. Like Junk said it can be that pully or it can be dirt in the tracks or even a bent or broken part you'll never find without taking it apart.

Attachments

• 04door.jpg
    04door.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 113
Thanks, guys. I was hoping for an easy fix, but as suggested, time to take the door panel off and see what's going on. Likely need to replace ten regulator and associated parts. Thanks for the help. Spiral Gray

Thanks, guys. I was hoping for an easy fix, but as suggested, time to take the door panel off and see what's going on. Likely need to replace ten regulator and associated parts. Thanks for the help. Spiral Gray

OK, now you are on the road to success. I have the FSM so if you need any help that was not in the links I sent you please let me/us know. There are many other Goggle hits on fixing door issues, I just sent you one. Mr. Sam

Thanks for all of the help. Nothing broken, just debris/dirt in the tracks. Blew it out with compressed air and all works fine.

This is good news. Glad it was an easy fix!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom