Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

2005 Base Coupe - Throttle Body Replacement Questions

billybaloneey

Corvette
2005 Silver Coupe
My dealer is telling me that I need the throttle body replaced on my 05 base coupe, due to a P0223 code. They want $1000...to replace and "re-flash" the ECM.

I have several issues:
$1000 sounded kinda expensive...so I did some checking and found a GM original throttle body for about $500.

I did a couple of searches on Google for "throttle body replacement"...and it seems kinda straight forward and simple....but one of the posts I read regarded the possibility of having to do a "idle re-learn"...but in the same post thread someone said all that had to be done was disconnect the battery for a while and once re-connected the ECM would take care of the "idle re-learn"

So my questions are:
1) is the throttle body replacement as straight forward as it seems?
2) is there a ECM re-flash necessary after replacing the throttle body?

I did notice quite a few posts regarding the cleaning of the existing throttle body...does anyone have any experience of having a P0223 code that was cleared by simple cleaning of the throttle body?

billy, that does sound a bit high to me, but I'm no expert. Not sure that the TB has to be replaced, here's what I found

OBD II Fault Code
  • OBD II P0223
Fault Code Definition
Code P0223 is triggered when the voltage output from the Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor/Switch to the PCM is too high.

The Throttle Position Sensor/Switch is located on the Throttle Body of the Intake Manifold and the Pedal Position Sensor/Switch is located on the Accelerator Pedal. These sensors provide precise input from the driver's foot in terms of how much power is needed—and how urgently—from the engine.
As the Throttle Position Sensor is rotated from its base resting position to full acceleration, it sends a decreasing voltage signal to the Powertrain Control Module (PCM). This decreasing or increasing voltage signal is used by the PCM to manage the Air Fuel Ratio and Spark Timing of the engine as well as other emissions system components.
Symptoms

• Check Engine Light will illuminate
  • In many cases, no abnormal symptoms may be noticed
  • In some cases, the engine may be hard starting
  • In some cases, the engine may hesitate during acceleration
Common Problems That Trigger the P0223 Code

• Defective Throttle or Pedal Position Sensor or Switch
  • Torn or jammed floor mats
  • Chafed or corroded Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor, wiring, or connections
Common Misdiagnoses

• Throttle or Pedal Position Sensor is replaced when the real problem is a poor connection or chafed wiring
  • Pedal Position Sensor is replaced when the real problem is torn or damaged floor mats

Hopefully someone will chime in here that knows more about it than I.

If the throttle body needs replacement, it's as easy as you suspect. I don't know why you would need a re-flash. Disconnecting the battery will default setting to the original factory specs, not a bad thing. If your car seems to be running OK, I'd get a second opinion. Your local chain part store will pull any codes free, and I think that would be a good idea.

For MY05, P0223 is, as we know, a fault code which sets when the throttle position sensors are not in agreement, specifically, it sets when TP 2 signal voltage is out of range.

The solution to P0223 is one or more of several actions.

1) Replace the Throttle Body
2) Replace the ECM
3) Repair one or more problems in the TB wiring.

A scan tester, a DMM and a test light are required to properly diagnose this code.

Replacing the Throttle Body is a simple operation and does not require reflashing the ECM.

Replacing the ECM does require reprogramming.

As for the cost...$1000.00 is not an unreasonable charge to replace the TB and replace and reprogram the ECM, however, it's way high if just the TB needs replacement and the ECM is ok.

Did the dealer say that both need replacement?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom