Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! 2005 C6 Column Lock Motor

mike.bomba.az

Corvette
2005 C6
As many of you know, the 2005 C6 manual trans sold in the US have a column lock motor. This motor is no better and in many ways may be worse than the design used in the C5 family. The Column Lock Bypass built for the C5 cannot be directly used in the C6 due to different connectors and designs in the Column Lock mechanism. Those that have taken one off see a ribbon connector going into the Column Lock mechanism. Many have thought this means the system is now digital in nature. I have disassembled one recently, and the internal components in the Column Lock mechanism are very similar to the C5. I am posting a pdf that documents what I have found so far and what I am planning to do to bypass the column lock mechanism. If you have tried everything else recommended (new battery, battery tender, replaced Column Lock mechanism only to have the new one leave you stranded, the solution I am working on may be an option.
Any good vette techs, please look over what I am planning and let me know if you see any issues. Thanks.....

Attachments

• C6 CLB.pdf
    45.5 KB · Views: 396
I have ordered the raw material. It will take about 10 days until I have time to put it all together and test it. All I am doing in this solution is replacing a single pole double throw (SPDT) microswitch with an equivalent latching relay. I am reusing much of the earlier C5 CLB design efforts (same relay part, same diode layout). I am only making changes necessary to have the relay emulate the way the microswitch works.

When I disassembled the column lock, I found the screw mechanism was made of plastic and was binding. The plastic screw was binding in the plastic block. This is obviously a manufacturing defect and is likely the reason so many of these systems fail. If the screw was a fraction smaller, it would not have this problem.

GM needs to do more in depth QC on these parts. They are getting inferior products from their suppliers.

HI there,

The column lock system is controlled by its own dedicated module for 2005, and it is IN NO WAY working the same way as the c5 column lock system.

2005 Column lock system were pretty trouble free. I have had a few that had reverse switch issues, but no actuators or control modules. Batteries are NOT as prevalent but still have replaced a few.

The key is the data and the truth is that the column lock control module monitors a more discrete signal instead of the normal 12v feedback switch of the old c5 design.

Allthebest, c4c5

Our 2005 C6 has 20K miles and the Column Lock mechanism has failed twice. After the second failure, I took apart the mechanism and I am sure it was poorly fabricated. The plastic block and screw mechanism was binding in the block. I cleaned and relubricated it, and it still was binding. After very close inspection, I could see part of the screw threads were wider at the part that was binding. I do not know if there is a common problem. All I know is 2 mechanisms before 20K is unacceptable.

I have a 2005, manual trans and have had numerous times have been unable to "start" it!
Upon pushing the start button, when it starts, there is a sound that sounds like a small electrical motor(under dash)
engaging, when it won't start, there is no sound.
Is this somehow related?

This could be the cause. On my vette the dash info display clearly states "Service Column Lock". If yours does not, then I do not know if this is the cause. Check your battery voltage. This could be the cause.

-----------------------------

I have updated the design for the 2005 C6 MT6 Column Lock Bypass. I received the required relay yesterday, and after a few hours, had it installed and tested in my 2005 C6. Earlier I had taken the column lock mechanism apart and reassembled the steering column, so all I had to do last night was some soldering and fitting the solution in a project box and finding a place under the dash to attach the project box.

It works... Lock and unlock behaves as expected. I had to use the key fob to reset the alarm when I connected the battery the last time (car thought it had been tampered with). Just press unlock twice fast.

Good luck to anyone that wants to try this. I offer no guarantee or waranty. But if the Column Lock Mechanism is already broke, this is a $30 fix (plus labor) and you never need to worry about being stranded again.

Attachments

• C6_CLB (final).pdf
    64 KB · Views: 263
I have a 2005, manual trans and have had numerous times have been unable to "start" it!
Upon pushing the start button, when it starts, there is a sound that sounds like a small electrical motor(under dash)
engaging, when it won't start, there is no sound.
Is this somehow related?

HI there,

I would certainly think more so interference.

Please place the key fob in your pocket in the glove box with the buttons facing the passenger door and see if this works.

Allthebest, c4c5

I'm having the same problem...

Hello,
I'm new to the forum and joined primarly because I'm looking for a solution to this exact problem! I have a 2005 C6 convertable with the manual 6 speed transmission. I've been stranded twice with the dreaded "Service Column Lock" message. I've read some post that have helped identify the problem but still no solutions... until now?
I have noticed that the car fails to start on hot days, interior temp over 103^F, do you think the plastic worm gear actually swells in the heat compounding the binding that happens? Is there any way to just "cut" the worm gear so that it fools the car into thinking it has successfully disengaged?
I have ordered another steering lock module from the dealer and they are going to install it Friday to the tune of $900... to me that's a lot of money for something the "might" fix my problem!!!!
Thanks for the posts, misery loves company!

Randy

:beer

It is possible heat is a factor. I did not see anyway to cut the worm gear. The microswitch needs to cycle from on to off to on or the computer thinks the car is being tampered with. The solution I build comes as close as possible to mimic this behavior. Since I retained the electric motor from the old column lock and placed it in project box, it was important to firmly mount the motor.

So far the solution has worked flawlessly.

:happyanim:

larger temperature changes seem to play a role

My CLM problems started this summer. I first noticed it when I parked it outside in the sun and it got over approx 100F. The car would not start.
The first time I needed to wait until it cooled down AND I needed to charge the battery (voltage was probbaly a bit too low)
Next few times I found out it is just about having it cool down for a few hours until the evening.
Then it would start without a problem.

I had it at the dealership and they replaced the CLM (had only pay for labor)
I have it now back three weeks and the problem started again last week when parking outside and temps dropped to approx 45-55F.
Luckily so far it needed only 2-3 ignition pushes and the car starts again.

I will bring it back to the dealer to have them work on it again. I hope GM finally gets the message to work on this.
Drop it off every few weeks and have them replace my CLM under warranty...

Had two vettes before, but looks like this could be my last one. Cars that don't start reliably are not fun anymore.
:_rock

I started getting the "Service Column Lock" Message late last year, always when it was hot and the car had been sitting in the sun. After opening the doors and letting the car cool down it will start again.

I took the car to two different dealers, each one several times, but it never happened to them and they said they say they need to see it happen. (The first dealer kept putting miles on the car after I told them it only happens when it sits in the sun, I won't go back to that dealer again.)

I have now resolved to fix it myself, and started by taking the "Column Lock" Mechanism apart and adding a fiber washer between the gear and housing (in case the gear was swelling in the heat and locking it up), unfortunately that did not fix the problem. The next thing I tried was relocating the "Steering Column Lock Module" from where it was mounted up high in the dash to a place lower in the dash in an effort to protect it from the hot dash surface. I have left the car out in the sun a couple of days now and so far it has not failed, time will tell.

Sorry for being late to the party, but does this problem affect automatic '05's or just the manuals? I have the telescoping column.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom