Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

2007 Corvette

MCMLVII

Corvette
BLACK 57, blu 15 vert
An objective for the 2007 Corvette engine is to achieve 550 hp with provide 30 mpg.

MCMLVII said:
An objective for the 2007 Corvette engine is to achieve 550 hp with provide 30 mpg.

As a 'base-line, what is the current maximum hp offered and mph delivered in new/current Vettes... how far do they have to go?

Maybe they will just put in a 20 speed tranny.

MCMLVII said:
the CAFE milage for the 400 HP 05 C-6 is 28 MPG i can not see how a 150 more HP is going to get 2 more MPG:confused

We sell tooling to a guy who builds blocks and cams for GM. This is where we heard of the HP & MPG objective.

Someone out there seems confident that they can pull it off.

Unlikely leap in HP/gas mileage

It seems highly unlikely that the C6 could accommodate a 550 HP base engine, assuming the same dimensions of the engine compartment. Is a great leap in technology anticipated? How can a 550 HP engine achieve 30mpg, without some quantum leap in technology? And in 2 years?
I'm betting perhaps 425 HP (at most) by 2007, with mileage holding steady.

Guess what, it can be done! it would take a good computer and variable valve timing ( read computer controlled timing) This is the future of tomorrows engines.

Satchel said:
It seems highly unlikely that the C6 could accommodate a 550 HP base engine, assuming the same dimensions of the engine compartment. Is a great leap in technology anticipated? How can a 550 HP engine achieve 30mpg, without some quantum leap in technology? And in 2 years?
I'm betting perhaps 425 HP (at most) by 2007, with mileage holding steady.
Never underestimate the resourcefulness of General Motors Powertrain. :eek:

motorman said:
the CAFE milage for the 400 HP 05 C-6 is 28 MPG i can not see how a 150 more HP is going to get 2 more MPG:confused
Direct gas injection improves MPG and maybe they will reconsider DoD.

It wasn't many years ago when 405 HP/400 lbs ft TQ coupled with 30 MPG was unheard of. Three more years and all the engineering work that goes on behind the scenes that the public doesn't see or hear of could yield some very good powertrain results. Just because the C6 is out, doesn't mean the slide rules have been put away, I'll bet these things have been in the works since late in the C4 lifetime, they just need to wait for technology to catch up, work out the bugs, and prep the public for what is coming.

vettepilot

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom