Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: 2008 clutch chatter

bcensouth

Corvette
2008 silver coupe
My clutch has a low rpm chatter that my dealer says is normal. I have about 4000 mi. and it's not getting any better with wear. Anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions.

I did have the clutch chatter, when my 2006 was new. It went away after a few thousand miles.

Take your Corvette to another dealer/certified technician.
If you are in the State of Michigan, take your Corvette to Tom Adams at Matthews-Hargreaves Chevrolet. 2000 E 12 Mile Rd. Royal Oak, Mi 48067 (248 398 8800)

HI there,
While the pressure plate and the flywheel are always flat, its the frictional disc that is wavy, becuse of the design.
Its not a perfectly flat piece and requires bedding in before it will be a smooth operating clutch.
This is due mainly to the HIGH temperature capability of the frictional material that requires HEAT to flatten out and bed in correctly.
Allthebest, c4c5

I agree, my '07 clutch was ruff for the first few thousand miles. I've got 8k on her now and it’s nice and smooth.
Hecox

My clutch has a low rpm chatter that my dealer says is normal. I have about 4000 mi. and it's not getting any better with wear. Anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions.

Thanks for a quick response. I'm taking it back to the dealer next week..........Kerback, Atlantic City, NJ.

Thanks for a quick response. I'm taking it back to the dealer next week..........Kerback, Atlantic City, NJ.

Follow up.......Kerbeck installed a new flywheel and clutch assembly under warranty. Problem solved, drives like a different car.

Follow up.......Kerbeck installed a new flywheel and clutch assembly under warranty. Problem solved, drives like a different car.

Just retrieved my '05 6 spd. Z51 from the dealer to diagnose a noise (chatter) at low rpm (idle) and low speed. This is particularly noticeable when backing out of the driveway.

According to a GM tech. memo PIP 3896 dated 8-28-07 "this is a normal characteristic....and no repairs should not be attempted."

Anyone else have a similar concern and response from their dealer? Any suggestions? I'm considering getting a 2nd opinion.

BTW: I have an extended warranty which I hope didn't affect the diagnosis!!;shrug

I drove a couple of manuals before buying my auto and they did have a slight chatter when accelerating with low rpm. With more throttle it tends to eliminate the problem. Not normal but seems to be the way it is.

Just retrieved my '05 6 spd. Z51 from the dealer to diagnose a noise (chatter) at low rpm (idle) and low speed. This is particularly noticeable when backing out of the driveway.

According to a GM tech. memo PIP 3896 dated 8-28-07 "this is a normal characteristic....and no repairs should not be attempted."

Anyone else have a similar concern and response from their dealer? Any suggestions? I'm considering getting a 2nd opinion.

BTW: I have an extended warranty which I hope didn't affect the diagnosis!!;shrug

Take it to another dealer. make sure a qualified corvette tech checks it out. Good Luck

Chatter

Read my post on my Chatter pro. it's in the differential and you need a additive. I'm not kidding about this.:)

Thanks! I've added your recommendation to the list of questions for a different dealer. Another was to check the axle nuts torque while cold. Will update after the appointment next week.

Chatter

I'm almost positive that this is your problem. Some people have had to have it added twice but once they get it right it's a beautiful thing; good luck.
Ron

Is it kind of a squeeky noise? Mine makes this noise on the 1st start of the day and then goes away until everything cools down again.

Hello Jimmyz,

I wouldn't describe my noise as a squeak, but rather a heavy, low frequency clunk, like 2 large pieces of metal hitting each other each time the engine lunged, most noticeably while backing up. It seemed to fade away as the car warmed up, and now that the differential fluid has been changed, it has completely disappeared.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom