Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

200MPH club members please

boldtx

Corvette
Soon
Currently I have a 91 Z07 mostly stock with 41000 miles. Starting this winter my plan was to start modifying my L98 for more power and top speed. I have competed in the Sandhills Open Road challenge for the last 3 years and would like to someday make that 200mph pass in the mile. I know my L98 will never make it there so I have started to rethink my idea of pouring money into my old motor when it will never get there. So here is my question where should I start? It will need to be done in stages as I am not rich by any means. I would like to keep the car fairly reliable it is not my daily driver but I would like to take it out for a cruise yet be able to race it when needed.

Here's a good place to start. :D

GMC2005080137035_PV.jpg

http://gm.wieck.com/forms/gm/previewpage?025615

Agreed

Yeah unfortunately my wife does not like my car habit that much already. So coming home with an $80,000 ride would probably get me killed.

As much as I would like to get one and make my build much easier it however is not an option. Money will not allow me to make the easy choice. Plus I like the idea of having a 200mph C4 it is something that not everyone else has. I know making it a 200mph car won't be cheap either.

here let me help you since not all of us can afford a brand new Z06 and some of us actually like the C4 body style :eyerole

472_675_ultra.jpg

Dart Tall Deck Iron Eagle 4Bolt HP Block with Raised Cam & Splayed Steel Billet Caps
Callies 4340 4.250 Stroke Internally Balanced Crank
Eagle 4340 H-Beam 6.125 Steel Rods w/ARP Bolts
JE 10.5-1 Custom Forged Aluminum Pistons
Brodix 11X Aluminum Heads w/CNC Chambers
Dart CNC Ported Intake Manifold
Ultra Street Big Dawg Polished Aluminum Valve Covers
1.6 Ratio Aluminum Roller Rockers
Moroso Street/Strip Oil Pan, Oil Pump & Pick Up
Chrome Timing Cover w/ Tavia Pointer
HP Harmonic Balancer
Internally Balanced
Professionally Blueprinted and Assembled
Every Engine Dyno Tested w/Dyno Sheet Provided

http://www.ultrastreet.net/472_675_engine.asp

Add a heavy ported mini ram and 58 mm TB and you'll blast ANY Z06 out of the water and hit your 200 mph run for less than 20k

and if that don't cut it add a 150 shot to it ;)

Thank you for the info Mad-Mic that is what I am looking for. As far as running in the Silver State Classic no I have not. Lately I have been hearing horror stories. Not enough spotters at each turn so your car is not always in someones line of sight. I love racing but if something goes wrong I want to know someone can seem me.

I appreciate the concern guys. The car will have a full rollcage before this speed will ever be attempted trust me safety first

Achieving 200 mph is one thing, doing it within the distance of one mile is a whole other deal.

Agreed I know it obviously won't be easy. My goal is to start with a good baseline motor such as the one Mad-Mic suggested and build from there. I know it will take time and money to be sucessful to meet my goal. Any other suggestions on different motor makers that people are familiar with.

Mad-Mic do you have any experience with the company you suggested they look reputable. Would the fitment of the motor be a pain for my engine bay.

Another idea would be to look at turbo charging. I believe Callaway had some success with that, even with a L-98.

Mad-Mic do you have any experience with the company you suggested they look reputable. Would the fitment of the motor be a pain for my engine bay.

several people run the 434 setup they offer. fitment is nearly stock. the cam journals are raised up to get the throw around. So with that said I am thinking it is the same for the 472.

434 from Shafiroff makes upwards of 625 crank hp and 580 crank torque with 94 grade gasoline (small shot of cam 2) lower HP ratings run on 91 octane.

the 434 runs 10.1x's at 130+ mph in the 1/4 mile so a 1 mile run should be no problem to make another 70 mph as long as the gearing is right.

This motor also runs well with the standard 3.07 gear set for auto's due to the lower RPM range as most race (purpose) built motors. 6k limit is it. (rpm range)

200 mph

Another idea would be to look at turbo charging. I believe Callaway had some success with that, even with a L-98.
Check out www.ststurbos.com Remote mounted twin turbos for about 7 grand.Unfortunately they do not have a direct bolt on kit for the c4,but they do sell a generic kit that other c4 owners have retro-fitted to their cars.You can do-it!

You could always try to duplicate the Callaway Sledgehammer :D
Top speed: 254mph
Driver: John Lingenfelter

Does the 200 MPH have to be on the ground? I've been Mach 1.6 in the air.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom