Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

2014 C7 Beautiful Poll

2014 Corvette Stingray C7 poll

• I love the new 2014 Stingray

Votes: 54 38.0%
  • The new design is awesome once the shock wears off

Votes: 15 10.6%
  • I really like some elements of the new Stingray but dislike others

Votes: 27 19.0%
  • My impression of the new design is mixed; some good, some bad

Votes: 16 11.3%
  • Overall I'm disappointed in the new Stingray but still like some elements

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • What were they thinking?

Votes: 20 14.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I really saw it Jan 17 in Detroit and I really like it in person better than any pix (and I'm an old guy). See me smile:

2013-01-17-11.24.34w.jpg

The taillights are one of my favorite parts:

2013-01-17 11.20.37w.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
To summarize the results of the poll, more than double the number of people who voted loved the design than hated it. Even in the less polarized opinions, the positive strongly outweighed the negative... and this among a group of folks who have a propensity to be conservative when it comes to all things Corvette.

Let's hope the sales number, both domestically and world-wide, reflect this broad approval. GM would use a home run hit!!

-Mac

Thanks for setting up the poll. :w

I really like the photos of the convertible from the Geneva show.

Thanks for setting up the poll. :w

I really like the photos of the convertible from the Geneva show.
I am glad to help! :)

-Mac

Poll, and Recovering the C7

Most loved or liked, but a lot didn't like or "what were they thinking" hated. The two mid options were basically the same - liked some, didn't like other elements. This local, brief poll shows a real split impression of the new car.
Some personal observations:
The Chevy guys stated they really wanted to break away with the new Vette and I can understand that. This result though was a little too much. This car positively SCREAMS ATTACK!!! Is that truly necessary?
The overall proportion is still there, nice. I'm not into the doorstop/wedge shape, but this thing is built to attack so it has to cleave wind pretty good. o.k. I did not think that they would replace the "bubble-hatch" back with side-glass design but they did and I'm good with it, looks pretty slick actually.
But then we get into design elements. This car is clearly overdone, with more lines and creases than Kieth Richards.
1. Get rid of the frown front facia! Do something with that, it won't take much to make it look good again. Mid-years 'evil grin' would look good but can't just carbon copy it. 2. Front end lines - remove ALL except the three coming off the hoodvent toward the back. That means the three in front of the hoodvent and onto the facia, and both two additional and unnecessary side lines beside the hoodvent. Clean this up! 3. Front fenders - simple: remove them, start over. Whatever fender vent design that would replace it, along with anything else attempted in this recovery would have to meet-up with what's there now at the front of the doors. 4. Tail lights. Unreal that they used all-inclusive inserts instead of each light with it's own area, like the c6. Well, replace the black "drag queen dripping mascara" (as described previously) frames with those in body color! Include the vents in body color - we're trying to make them disappear... Then, clip off the upper-outer edges of each tail light. CAREFULLY and with GREAT PRECISION, reassemble back into the facia. The lights would have a non-symetrically hexagonal shape but look like they belong, the rest would hopefully blend in with the bodycolor and the juvenile fantasy image would be eliminated. This is about the least expensive recovery I can think of for the lights.

Ah yes... did I read that the ragtop will have yet more lines behind the cab?...

I'll continue this as guys respond here and, hopefully, whiffs of resolution will waft their way to GM and the standard production car will appear more credible worldwide, as intended.

Thanks for your patience... :beer

As the Brits would say "That Lambo looks absolutely bonkers. It's brilliant!!" (feel free to insert cheesy accent) :thumb

-Mac

It's relatively peaceful looking, imo. ;)

Compare it to the new Lamborghini Veneno.

Of course, the Lambo is just a tad out of most people's price range.

PHOTOS: Lamborghini's New $3.9 Million Veneno Supercar | TIME.com

Dude, that is exactly why I HATE Lamborghinis! I've seen better looking beercans after I've stepped on them and missed crushing them down evenly! Lambos are so deserving of humiliating smackdowns at the hands of Z06's and ZR's, always enjoyable to watch online, week after week...

Cheers >>>

This car positively SCREAMS ATTACK!!! Is that truly necessary?
For the people that like it, then truly "yes". For everyone else, there's 60 others years of vettes to choose from.
This car is clearly overdone, with more lines and creases than Kieth Richards.
1. Get rid of the frown front facia! Do something with that, it won't take much to make it look good again. Mid-years 'evil grin' would look good but can't just carbon copy it. 2. Front end lines - remove ALL except the three coming off the hoodvent toward the back. That means the three in front of the hoodvent and onto the facia, and both two additional and unnecessary side lines beside the hoodvent. Clean this up! 3. Front fenders - simple: remove them, start over. Whatever fender vent design that would replace it, along with anything else attempted in this recovery would have to meet-up with what's there now at the front of the doors.
....Thanks for your patience... :beer
As I read it, every single one of those lines, creases, inlets, outlets, etc is 100% intentional to the absolute highest function of the car. Might I recommend reading Rob's interview with the engineering staff. It's very interesting and I believe will explain directly or otherwise why everything is as it is. You will hopefully come away understanding that you wanting to change or remove anything not aesthetically pleasing to your eye would be overall detrimental to the current car. All the items you mention aren't there "because that would look really cool!" It's simply a bonus if it does.

Corvette Action Center | Research Center | C7 Corvette | 2014 Corvette Center | Something Wicked This Way Comes:  the 2014 C7 Corvette Stingray is Unveiled: Page 4 of 11

Now, not to say that just because it's functional means it has to be pleasing to the eye. But in this case, "Function over fashion" which is one of the items the Corvette needs to stay relevant to anyone under the age of 50.
:beer

For the people that like it, then truly "yes". For everyone else, there's 60 others years of vettes to choose from.

As I read it, every single one of those lines, creases, inlets, outlets, etc is 100% intentional to the absolute highest function of the car. Might I recommend reading Rob's interview with the engineering staff. It's very interesting and I believe will explain directly or otherwise why everything is as it is. You will hopefully come away understanding that you wanting to change or remove anything not aesthetically pleasing to your eye would be overall detrimental to the current car. All the items you mention aren't there "because that would look really cool!" It's simply a bonus if it does.

Corvette Action Center | Research Center | C7 Corvette | 2014 Corvette Center | Something Wicked This Way Comes:* the 2014 C7 Corvette Stingray is Unveiled: Page 4 of 11

Now, not to say that just because it's functional means it has to be pleasing to the eye. But in this case, "Function over fashion" which is one of the items the Corvette needs to stay relevant to anyone under the age of 50.
:beer

I don't think the clean-up I suggested would keep the car from doing a 7 minute Nordschleife lap time. I read the multiple reviews and statements, official and otherwise. I did not mention the vents behind the doors among other items and since they're functional, they're fine, but all the lines and the gashes in the fenders? I'm sure the car will go on as is but certain that the tail lights will "embrace change"...

Looking for specs now!!!

Nope...

Certainly improvements to the interior but the styling looks borrowed and unrefined. Start with making all the vents Body-Colored but I just don't like the rear. I bet they do a make over within 4 model years.

Certainly improvements to the interior but the styling looks borrowed and unrefined. Start with making all the vents Body-Colored but I just don't like the rear. I bet they do a make over within 4 model years.

I agree - on the body color vents only. I can't see borrowed styling elements, but we all see different things. Body colored vents would make them less prominent, which would be a good thing.

Last edited:
I'm still stoked, but...

I know many people here have already seen the C-7 up close and personal. I have not, so any opinion I have is based on pictures, film clips and whatever subliminal stuff I have been fed by the media and The General. That said, I think this car is going to blow away most people when they see it on the road. Don't forget, there are going to be countless variations in colors and options, to say nothing of "The Aftermarket" (MidAmerica, Corvette Central, Zip, Ecklers, etc.) And, if some styling (and the conversation has been overwhelmingly about styling) or functional element looks derivative or borrowed, I think you have to give a nod to automotive evolution. Saying the Corvette looks like a Ferrari is a bad thing "how"? If you think Ferraris are ugly, I don't think there's much to discuss here. Try looking at the window sticker instead. Or the more relevant numbers, like 0 to 60. With LeMans only a few weeks away, keep an eye on what the C-6.R does with the competition and then factor in the next generation.
I drive a C-5, and I love it. But I don't hear much about generational bias. Sometimes it sounds like a new generation makes some people feel challenged, and they react by defensively rejecting it. I don't think that's warranted or fair. The only other options call for making the same car indefinitely - which only seems to work for Cobras - or ending production altogether. All I'm saying is, let's just actually see this car blow by us at highway speeds and then form an opinion.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom