Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

News: 2015 Corvette Z06 Details Leaked!

Maybe when they start making them in China like the CTS they will be less expensive. Also we won't have to bail them out again.

The CTS is made in China? Does GM know about this? Maybe you can name your source so they"ll know. They think it's assembled at the Grand River plant in Michigan, where the ATS is also assembled.

Last edited:
Performance numbers

And after reading that Nissans GT-R can go 0-60 in 2.6 sec's besides it's track perf l am glad
the Z has the ponies

ZR1 could be 750 HP - just guessing. :w

Lol. I've been here since 09 as well and probably don't have many more posts than that. I'll see the count once I post this I guess. :L

and 10 it is! woot!

I find it interesting that the torque numbers is higher than the HP, not the case in a LS9 (ZR1).....more reason to believe this is just hype :eyerole

Hp Wars

When is this going to end? My guess until it becomes unsafe!

I simply will not own one when they are not made in USA, regardless of the price. Also, I am very pleased that GM was bailed out. It was a good move for our government. Look at them go now. :pat

Just to play devil's advocate...

I'm sure all the GM bond holders and stock holders who were wiped out would not share that belief.

Also, the Federal Government took a huge loss on the GM stock it sold.

The reason you can "look at them go now" is all that debt, pension obligations and health care costs were shed when stock became worthless and the bonds were not paid.

While I agree that the "new" GM in many ways is a much more healthy company, I also remember there were hundreds of thousands of investors and bond holders who suffered huge losses, not to mention we tax payers.

Come on Hib, it's just a "ZO6" not a "ZR1." :D

GM has to leave a little room to grow in 2016.

:thumb

My belief is that the C7, at least in the form it is now (front engine, rear drive), will not have two "Z-models".

Additionally, intel I developed a while back had me thinking the supercharged version of the LT1 in the C7 Z06 was going to make about 650hp.

Finally, there is something fishy about that fake web page in the screen shot Rob posted. For one thing, as soon as I saw Rob's post this morning, I keyed in that URL and it didn't exist. Now, it's possible Chevrolet's marketing folks were just f**king with us...won't be the first time.

But, if that "momentary" web page listed the actual numbers, it's strange to have a high-performance engine with peak power lower than it's peak torque number. The only way that can happen is if the power rating is taken at a point on the power curve below peak power or the engine has a very odd torque curve which peaks then drops off quickly, such as 650 lbs ft torque at 4000 rpm and only 510 lbs ft at 6400. That would make a peak power of 620. That would be uncharacteristic of a Roots supercharged engine which usually have torque curves which are flat as pancakes. For reference, the LS9 in C6 was 608-lbs/ft@3800 rpm and 638-hp@6500 rpm.

I'll be very surprised if GM takes a step back with the LT4 making 650-lbs/ft at 3800-4000 rpm and 620-hp@6500 rpm which would be exactly the opposite of what they did with the LT1.

We shall learn the straight story in about a week.

I have heard that the difference between a rumor and a fact is about 7 days. :w

I'm sure all the GM bond holders and stock holders who were wiped out would not share that belief.

The reason you can "look at them go now" is all that debt, pension obligations and health care costs were shed when stock became worthless and the bonds were not paid.

While I agree that the "new" GM in many ways is a much more healthy company, I also remember there were hundreds of thousands of investors and bond holders who suffered huge losses, not to mention we tax payers.

I cannot argue against your points. I just think the alternative would have been worse if not as bad. I still stand by my opinion as I would assume you will do as well.

USA 1st. :pat

If GM went out of business back then, bond holders and stockholders would have gotten little or, more likely, nothing. Who would buy the product names or mostly outdated factories in the rust belt? To be reminded of the value of old Detroit production facilities, please tour Kenosha, South Bend, greater Detoit, St Louis and dozens of other sites. The cars on-hand would have been sold below cost, as were Saturns, Olds and Pontiacs before them. The cost of liquidation (LEGAL FEES, advertising, accountants, advertising, facility upkeep for the 1-2 years to complete the project, etc.) could have easily been greater than the proceeds. Add the cost to the states and the Feds, of a couple years of unemployment for up to a half million workers at GM and suppliers, and the bail out makes more sense. The workers kept their jobs, but gave back work rules, pension contributions, etc. In the end, it might have been fair all the way around.

And you wouldn't have your 2012 Z, and this forum would be pretty quiet without the C7 to talk about.

I think the bail out was the best of three or four lousy options, but most minds are long past being changed in this era of discord. The bailout was authorized by GWB and carried out by BO, so partisan politics as a factor in the bailout is bogus.

Last edited:
If GM went out of business back then, bond holders and stockholders would have gotten little or, more likely, nothing. Who would buy the product names or mostly outdated factories in the rust belt? To be reminded of the value of old Detroit production facilities, please tour Kenosha, South Bend, greater Detoit, St Louis and dozens of other sites. The cars on-hand would have been sold below cost, as were Saturns, Olds and Pontiacs before them. The cost of liquidation (LEGAL FEES, advertising, accountants, advertising, facility upkeep for the 1-2 years to complete the project, etc.) could have easily been greater than the proceeds. Add the cost to the states and the Feds, of a couple years of unemployment for up to a half million workers at GM and suppliers, and the bail out makes more sense. The workers kept their jobs, but gave back work rules, pension contributions, etc. In the end, it might have been fair all the way around.

And you wouldn't have your 2012 Z, and this forum would be pretty quiet without the C7 to talk about.

I think the bail out was the best of three or four lousy options, but most minds are long past being changed in this era of discord. The bailout was authorized by GWB and carried out by BO, so partisan politics as a factor in the bailout is bogus.

:thumb You said it much better than I could. Thanks. :pat USA 1st.

Didn't Tadge Juechter recently hint that the current ZR1 would be the last one?

No. He did not.

Recently, Juechter was asked in an interview to discuss more details of the upcomming 2015 Z06. He demurred but was pressed several more times by the interviewer. Finally he said, "If we don’t get sales back up, there won’t be a next one." Following that exchange, a GM Communications representative who was present decided to end the interview.

I think it's safe to say that Juechter's comments were not about any future ZR1 model, specifically, but were made to address the general idea that if Corvette sales were not to improve beyond what they were in the late C6 era, there would be no business case to develop another new Corvette product beyond the C7 Z06.

Having done formal interviews with Tadge Juechter several of times and spoken to him informally many times in the 20 or so years he's been with Corvette, I'll speculate that Tadge may have been miffed by the interviewer's continued attempts to get him to comment on future product in spite of polite refusals and, out of frustration, made that statement without carefully considering his choice of words.

No. He did not.

Recently, Juechter was asked in an interview to discuss more details of the upcomming 2015 Z06. He demurred but was pressed several more times by the interviewer. Finally he said, "If we don’t get sales back up, there won’t be a next one." Following that exchange, a GM Communications representative who was present decided to end the interview.

I think it's safe to say that Juechter's comments were not about any future ZR1 model, specifically, but were made to address the general idea that if Corvette sales were not to improve beyond what they were in the late C6 era, there would be no business case to develop another new Corvette product beyond the C7 Z06.

Having done formal interviews with Tadge Juechter several of times and spoken to him informally many times in the 20 or so years he's been with Corvette, I'll speculate that Tadge may have been miffed by the interviewer's continued attempts to get him to comment on future product in spite of polite refusals and, out of frustration, made that statement without carefully considering his choice of words.

Thanks for the clarification.

At the end of the day, the addition or continuation of any model is a business decision made in real-time. Tadge or Harlan have little to do with the go or no go for the new ZR1. The decision to fund that model, or any model, will be made on mahogany row by the CEO and Board. The sales of the base, the Z06, and the market will dictate final decision. Tadge has to be ready with the developed concept, producible product. Chevy brass has to make a case to go ahead. There is a lot of new faces at the top of GM, and many are Vette friendly, but who knows what that means?

Last edited:

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom