Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

$26 vette paint job?

Would you paint your vette with a roller?

• I would totally do this!

Votes: 15 15.2%
  • Absolutely NOT!

Votes: 73 73.7%
  • I am too chicken... but I would encourage someone else to do it!

Votes: 11 11.1%

• Total voters
I painted all of a 70 GMC 3/4 ton pickup with rattle cans.Wasnt super shiney,but it lasted quite awhile.It did start fading,& wearing off in some spots so I touched it up with more spray cans. It was a work truck,& appearance wasnt top priority,but I didnt have to worry about any rust issues,& it looked fine unless you took a magnifying glass to it

Just a few thoughts:
Painting any car on the cheap must have a few compromises, but the application method must match the paint.
If you were to use a roller(or brush) you cannot use a laquer or automotive spray paint. It dries too fast. You must use an enamel that is designed for a roller(or brush) so that the paint can flow and dry smooth snd shiny. Also it takes about a week to "dry". It may be dry to the touch but not cured.
Spray cans (name brands) are actually quite good. The problem is that shortcuts in preparation are noticed big time - particularly wax removal. Also most people try to paint too much area with too little paint. that will give you the dry look. stay in small areas and use many light coats until you get a good finish. note that some of the newer spray paints require a follow up clear coat.
Would I spray paint my Vette?? Probably not the whole thing, but (maybe ) a touchup.

I saw an article on doing flames with a roller in a Rod magazine and I just finished up painting most of my barn with one. My YT has the frame and bed done with Rustoleum brushed on and it has held up well over the years.
don't think I would try it on a car but I have used rattle cans to do small areas.

Most people don't want flames on their barn:W

I use to paint cars as a hobby.. I started from using cheap paint, after a couple of cars I went to a high end paint, and a better gun.. I caught on pretty fast.. now I just stick to painting morotcycles and get paid for it.. but in the long run I can tell you do it right the first time, the paint wont last, it will chip easy, fade, ect.. pay real close attention to prep work.
when you get enough practice your paint jobs will look like they dont even need to be color sanded. (but do it anyway)

DSC07386.jpg

DSC07637.jpg

There was a guy on the Corvette Forum who did his Corvette in bright yellow with a roller a few years ago and he periodically updates and says that it has held up well.
The pictures he posts seem to support his claim, and they are closeups and yellow does not hide flaws very well and I couldn't see any.
He did say that he did a great deal of final sanding as the paint he used was quite hard.
I would not do this on my 68 but I can see that if someone needs a paint job until they are ready to spend the big bucks, this might be an alternative.
Kurt

I would think why bother,since its fiberglass? A regular steel car I say why not,as it will hold down any rust issues,until the decent paint job is affordable

Those results were pretty amazing for the method of application. Back in high school I painted my old 56 Chevy BelAire with rattle cans. It wasn't the prettiest paint job but it did cover up the bare metal and worn paint. Today I have some OK spray guns and a decent compressor, so I would probably give it a spray job before a roller job.

I dont see how it matters ........
a decent Vette isnt standing still long enough for anyone to know.:boogie

Those results were pretty amazing for the method of application. Back in high school I painted my old 56 Chevy BelAire with rattle cans. It wasn't the prettiest paint job but it did cover up the bare metal and worn paint. Today I have some OK spray guns and a decent compressor, so I would probably give it a spray job before a roller job.
I painted my last '70 GMC 3/4 ton pickup with rattle cans.Looked nice for quite awhile.Never had a shiny finish,but you'd never have known it was canned paint,until finally after some time the paint came off in spots.Just touched it up now & then.

I'm thinkin' come spring the Cherokee will be all one color. Not the three shades of red with the clear comming off!

As crude as this method may sound, this is the way luxury cars were painted in the early 1900s. Back in the 60s, when I was a kid, I lived next door to a "Restoration Shop" that specialized in pre20s Caddys. In order to do the equivelent of a NCRS resto on these old Caddys this was the way they were painted. Sometimes using 12 coats (hand sanded between each coat). As far as the paint falling off, it is all about the prep work, no different than if the paint was sprayed. Me personally, I don't like sanding that much so I try to spray the paint as smooth as I can. The Rustoleum paint is a very tough paint. It would actually be a better paint than the brittle lacquers that was THE paint to have in the 70s. The urethanes used today are extremely tough paints but if not applied properly are no better than a child's Tempra paint used for finger painting in kindergarten.This is a very feasible option but in my opinion too labor intensive and time consuming. Just my opinion.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom