Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

$26 vette paint job?

Would you paint your vette with a roller?

• I would totally do this!

Votes: 15 15.2%
  • Absolutely NOT!

Votes: 73 73.7%
  • I am too chicken... but I would encourage someone else to do it!

Votes: 11 11.1%

• Total voters
P

Piet

What do you think?

http://spokanehotrod.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!ACBE4D187B0DFB3E!253.entry

Before
coat_1b.JPG
coat1b.JPG

After
finish4.JPG
finish5.JPG

The original story I saw on this was on a Mopar forum where a guy painted his 68 Charger with Tremclad and a foam roller. (Google "$50 Paint Job")

Stunning at how well it turned out. That being said, expect to spend many hours wetsanding and buff/polishing.

But for the novice.. and interesting option.

I was stationed at Fort Devens Massachusetts in 1970 and one of the guys there painted his Ford econoline van Day_Glo orange with a roller. Didn't look NEAR as good as this Vette.
Andy

Uh... no. The $26 job is a quick fix. Cheap. IMHO it will not last very long -- certainly not my way of doing things.

I've actually had success using aerosol paint (see front nose of my Camaro) - but only for touch-ups! I got the color-coded paint online. I started with a dusting and then applied numerous coats. After wet sanding with 2000 grit sandpaper, and then a cut and buff with rubbing and polishing compound, it shined up with a mirror-like finish, no orange peel, fish-eyes, etc... and it's held up well (about a year now).

In case anyone is looking for code-matching paint, I got mine online at: automotivetouchup.com. It's held up nicely.

Wait till it starts to bubble and peel right off!!!
make you wonder what he has done to it for a quick fix!!:eek:hnoes:eek:hnoes

Wait till it starts to bubble and peel right off!!!
make you wonder what he has done to it for a quick fix!!:eek:hnoes:eek:hnoes

Well, at least it will never rust.... (Rustoleum)

:L

Seriously- I think the man hours were way above the return on investment and paint durability won't be what he expects. It looked like he did a good job on prep. Too bad it was the wrong paint formula.

Now, if you could use a roller with true automotive paint... that would be an interesting story.

I just hope it was a $26 Corvette!

I saw an article on doing flames with a roller in a Rod magazine and I just finished up painting most of my barn with one. My YT has the frame and bed done with Rustoleum brushed on and it has held up well over the years.
don't think I would try it on a car but I have used rattle cans to do small areas.

We used to paint our brake drums with Day Glo in the early 70's. Looked cool with deep dish chrome rims.

Man did I just date myself.......

I saw an article on doing flames with a roller in a Rod magazine and I just finished up painting most of my barn with one. My YT has the frame and bed done with Rustoleum brushed on and it has held up well over the years.
don't think I would try it on a car but I have used rattle cans to do small areas.

that I could understand....

nobody is going to know the difference but on a fiberglass body???????

I was thinking of doing my 88 in indoor/outdoor green grass carpet, Hey at least you won't have to cut it.:upthumbs And I'll try not to date myself, but my birthday was yesterday 10/12/51..............Man, If I knew I was going to live this long, I would have taking better care of myself:beer Have Fun..........

This guy must be related to bubba. the paint wont last if it doesnt peal off it'll certainly fade within a few weeks maybe days.

I know a guy that painted his van with porch and deck paint, and it held up pretty well and looked much better than the rust spots that were there before.
But a Vette? I think it deserves a real paint job with real automotive paint for a good finish.

While the paint is CALLED Rustoleum... it is not just a RUST product. What many of the guys how are doing found out is the chemical makeup of the paint. Here in Canada we have a similar paint .. called Tremclad. It is a similar paint formula. I have painted 2 vehicles with it (rattle can version) and you could not tell that is was not a factory paint job.

I did a suburban in a two-tone. Red/Grey. The Red was in Tremclad, the Grey in normal automotive paint. After about 5 years... the red paint still looked good. The Grey paint was fading and flaking.

What this guy did was not a "Porch Paint" job.

Here is a corvair painted with a roller: http://www.rickwrench.com/

Here is the paintjob after a year...
3Dcorvair3.jpg

While it is unconventional... you have to admit that the results are unexpected.

I voted I would do it since I have started a paint job like that, just havent finished it because of too many projects. Hot Rod did an article on it a couple months back. And If Im not mistaken, the charger that was done on the mopar site still looked like that (good) 6 years later. Plan on doing this on my old bronco.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom