Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

283 saga

itsa64

Corvette
1964 Riverside Red
I have a 66 Chevy 283 engine in my 64. Last owner added Edelbrock Performance Plus Cam with Duration 278/ 288, Lift .420/ .442. EdelBrock Performer RPM Cylinder heads - Aluminum, 70cc Chamber, 170cc Intake, roller rockers, MSD 6200 ignition control, Edelbrock Performer dual plane intake manifold, and Edelbrock Performer Carb @ 600cfm. I have adjusted the timing several times between 6-10 degrees advance. The thing runs fine but has no torque on the low end. I couldn't smoke the tires unless I used a blow torch!

I figure the static compression is well below 8:1. I want to improve the low end the cheapest way possible short of dropping in a 350. Do I change the heads, the cam or both?

It also has posi and the original M20 4 speed. Any comments on how I get more out of the low end?

T

trs

283 >>> 350

You should probably do a 327 or 350 for the Vette and drop the 283 into a nice '66 Impala or Chevelle, then you'd have 2 sweet rides ; )

Corvette
'67 Marina Blue Convertible
You don't have a breathing problem, you have a compression problem; static compression is not only low, it's WAY too low to make that cam work, and even if it was working, it's too radical to generate much low-end torque, especially with a 283, which is automatically down 13% from a 327's torque capability just in terms of displacement. It'd have more low-end torque with the stock cam than with the one that's in it, but until you have more compression and more displacement, it's hardly worth the effort to change it.

:beer

bradfordsvettes

Corvette
jewel blue 61.cranberry 69 t-top.black rose 92
what is your axle ratio it is important with a 283 and the large cam. what is the compression if tested with a gage and cranked over :confused Steve

bossvette

Gone but not forgotten
Corvette
1968 1997
swap the 283 short block for a 383 that would be the best bet and you can use your existing heads, cam, intake and carb

there is no substitute for cubic inches the 383 is the best small block Chevrolet never built. ;LOL

itsa64

Corvette
1964 Riverside Red
You don't have a breathing problem, you have a compression problem; static compression is not only low, it's WAY too low to make that cam work, and even if it was working, it's too radical to generate much low-end torque, especially with a 283, which is automatically down 13% from a 327's torque capability just in terms of displacement. It'd have more low-end torque with the stock cam than with the one that's in it, but until you have more compression and more displacement, it's hardly worth the effort to change it.

:beer

Ya the guy who put this stuff on didn't seem to have a clue. The thing is fine at 5000RPM but the local guy with the Yugo beats me off the line. :mad
If I slap on some rebuilt 58cc heads (or 305 heads) with 1.94x1.50 valves and a tamer cam do you think that'd do the trick? Or should I just keep saving $$$ for a 350?

Thanks

bossvette

Gone but not forgotten
Corvette
1968 1997
:mad
If I slap on some rebuilt 58cc heads (or 305 heads) with 1.94x1.50 valves and a tamer cam

Thanks
That was actually gonna be my first recommendation, but stick to the 1.72 valves. That will be a stopgap measure you will not have the power you want with a 283

Stan's Customs

Corvette
Project 1961....
Change the cam and heads...for more low end torque...

Beware of some 305 heads, 1.94 valves and no runner volume.....and no compression. Attention to quench (or squish) and higher compression would be very helpful. 305 heads will not accompolish that. Any local machine shop can guide you in that area...

And by the way JohnZ is dead on...

Stan M.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Win Both Corvettes!

Win Both Corvettes and Get Extra Bonus Tickets Now!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Parts/Accessories:

Dead Center Foundation

Vetteskins

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Partners

Top Bottom