Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

2x4 Air Cleaner for C1

Bwmurph

Corvette
'59 Blk/Red, '12 Crystal Red GS
Hi All,

I have been waiting for over a year now for a '61-'62 2x4 air cleaner from one of the major aftermarket suppliers for my '59. I want the later model because it is unsealed, unlike the one I have which is the sealed type. I was told by the customer service guy that they have no idea when the new ones will be available and to "look on ebay for a used one". I've looked and, if you can find them, they look pretty bad.
So, I'm wondering can I actually cut mine open at the point where the upper body meets the lower lip and, essentially, turn it into an unsealed type. I would take it to a machine shop to have this done as I don't trust my old shaky hands to do it with a dremel.
Let me know what you think,
Bernie O

I have thought about that too. You would need to cut away just enough of the lip that's folded under the base to allow the base to be removed and without distorting the lip that is visible from the outside. I think I would want a 2 piece one in my hand to see how it was shaped. Even a single 4 bbl one from someone else's car that you could photograph would be a big help.

I have thought about that too. You would need to cut away just enough of the lip that's folded under the base to allow the base to be removed and without distorting the lip that is visible from the outside. I think I would want a 2 piece one in my hand to see how it was shaped. Even a single 4 bbl one from someone else's car that you could photograph would be a big help.
Thanks for your reply Tom. Yeah, that would be a good idea to actually look at one. Just need to find one now.
On another note: How do you go about cleaning the sealed one ? Just soak it in gas or some kind of solvent and let dry ?
Thanks,
Bernie O

That's what I have done. When I first got mine, someone had painted it with aluminum paint. I submerged it in lacquer thinner in my oil drain pan for a few days and it looked clean inside and out. We used to wash out the old oil bath air cleaners in gasoline back in the day. Let it dry thoroughly.

Tom

Did you ever get your air cleaner?

Tom

Tom,
Yes ! Finally found one about 2 weeks ago. Got from Vette Products in MI. I told them I’d been looking for one for about 1.5 years. He told me “Yeah, we’re the only ones that make them and we’re way behind. This is the only one we have.”
I said “Ship it !”. I got it 4 days later.
But it was a little different than the sealed one: I thought it would just slip on there with no problem, but the hold down studs in the middle of the carb had to be lengthened about 1-1/8”. I was a little afraid they would contact the hood, but it was OK.
Bernie O

That's good news. Nothing like going to the source.

Tom

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom