Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

3:07 to 3:55... is it worth it?

Corvette
2002 Z06
Can any of you guys who have lowered your gear ratio from 3:07 weigh in with a recommendation (i.e. is it worth it?) I noticed today that Corvette Central has rebuilt Dana 36 's for $1150. (either 3:55 or 3:73) and I'm tempted.

Thanks-

Jeff

I'm not driving a C4 but I changed my '64 from a 3:08 to 3:55 and love it. It's a lot quicker thru the gears, the drawback is highway milage goes down.

Thats the same change I am thinking about.

I have talked to a few late model C4 owners who went from 3:07s to 3:42s and 3:73s

Though I did not drive their cars, they all said go at least 2 gear ratios up. The 3:07 to a 3:42 owner was not a happy camper with the expense vs gain.

Looks like i am going for the 3:07 to 3:73 switch.

3:07 up to 3:54 is what I am considering, also a 125 shot of NOS ;)

Seeing I want to get a 3.07 rear end (from my 2.59)
I'd say go for it and give me your old one :D

G92?

What does Performance Rear Diff actually mean? Any different from a stock 3.07? BTW you'll need to exchange the core for that deal.

I changed the rear ends on both of my corvettes:
C5 to a 3:42
C3 to a 3:08
Both are much much quicker now and I'm very glad I did it ... I just wish I'd gone to a 3:42 on the C3 ..

I'd do it again in a heart beat ...

:w :beer

question..

D&K, is it a job I can do on the driveway? Or am I better off taking it to a shop?

thx/ Jeff

voorthuist said:
D&K, is it a job I can do on the driveway? Or am I better off taking it to a shop?

thx/ Jeff

Jeff, I took both of mine to a shop, I'm "ok" for little jobs, but this to me is not a "little" job.

Good luck ..

:w

voorthuist said:
I noticed today that Corvette Central has rebuilt Dana 36 's for $1150. (either 3:55 or 3:73) and I'm tempted.

If your making 450 ft. lbs. torque or more. Don't waste your time with a D36.

3:73 rear...87 Corvette

[Mine is awsome.
I'd recommend it in a second.
Had a 2:59 in it before.
Best performance Mod for the $.
I dont see any negatives. It screams.

ratorto said:
[Mine is awsome.
I'd recommend it in a second.
Had a 2:59 in it before.
Best performance Mod for the $.
I dont see any negatives. It screams.
My '96 LT1 had 2.59 gears. After a cam change and 3.54 gears, it rips off the line pretty darned good now....but the gas mileage took a nosedive from 29mpg hwy, to 22-23mpg hwy.

Btw, I still have the factory D36 in and so far it is holding up just fine (fingers, legs and eyes crossed for luck).

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom