Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

3 Groove Pulleys - Stumped

chevyaddict

Corvette
1990 Convertible
Hi all;
I'm a bit stumped. I'm looking in the eckler's catalog and on ebay and no one sells any 3-groove crank pulleys for my 68. Now, I had it off yesterday (I put in a new harmonic balancer because mine was shot). It "appears" that it is a 2-groove with a single groove on top of it because you could get the single groove to shift a bit but I couldn't get it to separate. Same deal on the water pump pulley. I have a 2-groove with a single groove that is separate that goes on top of it. Like a dork I didn't take it off and when I was taking the harmonic balancer off it caught the bottom of the water pump pulleys and bent them. AND my crank pulley is still out of round so I need to replace them all. What is stumping me is this 3-groove thing because nowhere can I find it obviously mentioning this configuration. The car is a PS and AC car, that is why there are three pulleys. Can anyone help?

WAIT!

Ok, I finally did find a PS pump crank pulley - single groove... but again I couldn't get mine to separate... can someone just confirm for me that there is indeed two separate crank pulleys in my case - a 2-groove and then an additional single-groove????
THANKS!

That is correct. They tend to be difficult to find. I do believe the chevy dealer in town had it, but was VERY pricey.

That is correct. They tend to be difficult to find. I do believe the chevy dealer in town had it, but was VERY pricey.

Tell me about it! I did find one on ebay used... but I don't want to buy a used pulley. UGH. I did look more closely in Ecklers and it appears there is the single groove pulley - its gonna cost me over $200 to replace these! OUCH!!!!!!!
thank you!!!!!!!

Ok, I finally did find a PS pump crank pulley - single groove... but again I couldn't get mine to separate... can someone just confirm for me that there is indeed two separate crank pulleys in my case - a 2-groove and then an additional single-groove????
THANKS!

They do come apart... it just takes a little "umph" sometimes.

Good luck!

chevyaddict said:
Tell me about it! I did find one on ebay used... but I don't want to buy a used pulley. UGH. I did look more closely in Ecklers and it appears there is the single groove pulley - its gonna cost me over $200 to replace these! OUCH!!!!!!!
thank you!!!!!!!

Used pulleys aren't bad unless they are warped or otherwise trashed.

Is the crank's powers steering pulley the same as water pump's smog pulley?- I don't know. If so, I have one that I just took off and I'd let it go for half what you quoted above. I took it off because I don't need it with my TPI system.

SOB!!!! I can't believe $200!!!!

I had installed new chrome pullies on my car last year. I either gave away the old pullies to someone building a dragstrip car, or threw them out. Had I known, I owuld have put them on EBay! :eyerole

If you're not in a hurry I may be able to find some in my pile of stuff. Just get me a measurement of each grooves outside diameter and overall depth. If I have them they are yours for the cost of shipping.

OK, I'm in the right thread now. . .I have a 3 groove crank set, a single inside of two, 7-3/4" diameter, OVERALL, not calipered at the bottom of the groove, with pn 458530CA - and a 2 groove crank pulley, 6-3/4" diameter, no pn that I can find. The 2 groove pulleys seem to have the same projection as the 3 groove set, as they are the same as the two outermost. If you can use either of these, let me know. I see now you need water pump pulleys, I didn't look at them!!!

Craig

OK, I'm in the right thread now. . .I have a 3 groove crank set, a single inside of two, 7-3/4" diameter, OVERALL, not calipered at the bottom of the groove, with pn 458530CA - and a 2 groove crank pulley, 6-3/4" diameter, no pn that I can find. The 2 groove pulleys seem to have the same projection as the 3 groove set, as they are the same as the two outermost. If you can use either of these, let me know. I see now you need water pump pulleys, I didn't look at them!!!

Craig

I'll be home later this evening and will measure them. :) THANKS!

Dawn, I have the ones that came off my 77 L48. (crankshaft) I think they might be the same. If so and you are interested I would part with them for $50.00 + shipping from N. Tx. I've already bead blasted them and painted them gloss black. I went with an underdrive aluminum one from Summit. I also have the water pump pulley cause I went with an electric water pump. My car has a/c and p/s. E-mail me at ajett@coiltubingservices.com if you're interested. :beer Art

Dawn, I have the ones that came off my 77 L48. (crankshaft) I think they might be the same. If so and you are interested I would part with them for $50.00 + shipping from N. Tx. I've already bead blasted them and painted them gloss black. I went with an underdrive aluminum one from Summit. I also have the water pump pulley cause I went with an electric water pump. My car has a/c and p/s. E-mail me at ajett@coiltubingservices.com if you're interested. :beer Art
Hi Art - thanks but those are different - they won't work unfortunately. :(

Craig

Well, I've assessed things and the ones I have aren't too too bad..... so I think I'm gonna run with them for awhile. I'm hinky about putting used parts back on a car if I can buy new, so I think I'll just save up and buy new ones. Thanks SO MUCH for taking time to look for me though!!! :) :beer

Have you considered seeing if March has a suitable underdrive pulley set? Check here for a start...

Craig
What engine, year, model is this 458530ca pulley off of? I'm from team chevelle and this my first post here. :w
Thanks in advance. Ron.

Ron, I have no idea where they came from. I took a bunch of engines apart and saved some stuff and got rid of others. Probably 60's something, I had a 67 El Camino engine in my 57, and I had a 69 327 I took apart - could be from either one of those. It seems like I had a couple other cars I bought for parts, but don't think they had engines in them. Sorry I can't be of more help!

Craig

Pulley

Thanks craig. I thought it was small block from the small center opening.

:JWell it's a non issue now that i'm sending them back to the previous owner.:D

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom