Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

300,000+ miles on my original CFI. Now replacement time. Convertion to TPI?

ironmoo

Corvette
1982 white/red interior
Here’s the issue and I feel like I’m walking through a mine field on this new post. lol

I have a stock ’82 with 300,000 + miles on the original manifold and now has a hair line crack(s) and needs replacement. With vacuum leaks and small amounts of radiator fluid leaking into the pocket areas (from the front left manifold bolt) are hard not to notice. She runs somewhat rough at lower speeds but still wants to go!
Purchases 2 complete setups off Ebay and considering rebuilding one back to stock since mine ran great for the past 24 years running across the U.S. as my daily driver (I’m the 2nd owner from ’86.) I did have the engine rebuilt when the lower end gave out other than that, I consider myself fortunate considering the negative history of the CFI.

This is a California car from the get-go and thankfully here in Calaveras County, the smog check is only needed on title transfer. I don’t plan ever to sell her so I have some wiggle room for mods …but will keep all the stock parts if ever needed to put back on in case the laws ever change.

Now I’m considering of switching to a complete TPI setup/ECM/Harness as there are currently good-priced setups on Ebay.

- Is there a year to avoid or a preferred set of years to get? Does the year matter at all?

- Any mods to consider with hood clearance?

- Anything I really need to consider on the negative side?

AND Does it need to be a Corvette TPI or will a 350 Camaro/Firebird TPI version work as well?

Last night I went though ALL the posts of the infamous now-defunct Renegade thread and took notes. Purchasing the Renegade also is an option to consider…however before spending $$, would like some real data regarding the performance of the Renegade product & follow up services.

If anyone had done the swamp from CFI to TBI, your insight and hind-site would be valuable.

And…If someone from DCS wishes to contact me via private email that would be welcomed.

Although I have budgeted funds for this day to come, I had the luck of a bank error of a former employer on my favor (sounds like monopoly!) now find myself with extra funds from a towards this project.

Thanks in advance!

-MoO!

Attachments

• P1011941.jpg
    P1011941.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 123
  • vette1.jpg
    vette1.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 128
tpi conversion

I just converted my 84 from crossfire to tpi injection, i used vortec heads and eldebrock intake and runners, with a accel gen 7 ecm setup,
and it wasnt a cheap conversion,i probably spent at least $6000 doing mine,had to modify everything to fit,it did take some time to do but it runs great and just over 350 hp at the wheels. but saying that i wouldnt do it again, i should have just redone the crossfire injection,i would have been cheaper, and probably just as much power to

Thanks for the info!
Sounds like you have a great set-up...and well-earned with the $$ and time put into it. Have any photos of your work?

I changed my 84 from cfi to single tbi, was not hard to do as the sensor connections are the same as 87-89 350 truck tbi. I used a new holley tbi their projection intake. It had a throttle bracket & other pieces of hardware included w/ the manifold. I did have to use a Eldelbrock egr adapter to clear the tbi slightly. I think the 82s have more air cleaner clearence then 84s, mine was tight. I'm running a different manifold now, but I may change back.

Attachments

• 000_0004.jpg
    000_0004.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 138
  • 000_0003.jpg
    000_0003.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 131
Thanks for the info and sharing the images! I had not thought about that route. ;)
What is your best guess on the performance gain you received overall?

--M0o!

I did this swap before the Renegade intake was out, I didn't like the X-ram concept(too many turns for a wet flow system IMO).
I don't know what kind of power it puts out, & I don't want to be badgered for saying X amount of power. All I can say is that I drove he car atleast 5-6 yrs before I swapped it out, so I know there is an improvement. Here's some more pics of the intake/egr/adapter, I passed Wi. emissions test w/ that intake. That holley intake also angles the t-body slightly down for hood clearence, the red intake(SY-1 w/ custom top) is level. If you really like the cfi, you might think of porting it or check out the Renegade #s when somebody tests one out on the track?dyno.

Attachments

• 100_0082.jpg
    100_0082.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 128
  • 100_0083.jpg
    100_0083.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 135
  • 100_0084.jpg
    100_0084.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 132
  • 100_0085.jpg
    100_0085.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 127
I have the wire harness to go from crossfire to TPI if you are interested? It comes with the manual and all the sensors and parts are labeled.
IMG_3258.jpg

I want to cry listening to all of you talking about replacing your CFI...

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom