Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

383 Quasi Crossfire headed for the strip

elkabong

Corvette
1984 Red Coupe.
Hi all,

It has been a while so I decided to provide an update with my 84 383 Quasi Crossfire.

The motor is running well and I have been a tuning fool - as much as possible. I have over 500 miles on the motor and she runs real strong. I also put on some new Kumho 712's and so far I am pleased. I switched over from Dunlop SP 8000's.

I have a bit of a heat problem and I should have my DeWitt's radiator in a day or two. Hopefully I can get it installed before I head to Firebird Intl Raceway for the Friday night drags. Helmet shopping has been a chore because everyone wants to sell me a motorcycle helmet but that won't cut the mustard at a NHRA track. I found a local Simpson dealer and I am headed there this afternoon.

I am also going to borrow my neighbors video camera so hopefully I will have some good burnouts and some runs to share.

elkabong said:
Helmet shopping has been a chore because everyone wants to sell me a motorcycle helmet but that won't cut the mustard at a NHRA track.

I bought my helmet at a motorcycle place, and it is OK at my local NHRA strip. All they care about is whether it is Snell 90 or better. Mine is Snell 2000, so it should be fine for a few years yet.

My son lives in Chandler...

I bought a Simpson SA2000 rated so I am good at any track in the U.S. The tech folks at Firebird have been cracking down. So it is not worth the chance.

Where abouts does your son live? I am @ Queen Creek and Alma School.

elkabong said:
I have a bit of a heat problem and I should have my DeWitt's radiator in a day or two.
Thanks for the update.

You might try a Rob't Shaw thermostat first. After my HD aftermarket radiator and sooper-dooper water pump, my 406 still ran hot. The new 'stat fixed it, allowing more flow.

Now, I wonder if the Z-51 rad I had and the stock pump would've been okay. Nice fix for six bucks.
:w

elkabong said:
I bought a Simpson SA2000 rated so I am good at any track in the U.S. The tech folks at Firebird have been cracking down. So it is not worth the chance.

Where abouts does your son live? I am @ Queen Creek and Alma School.

I forget that there is a Firebird in Phoenix and a Firebird in Boise. I was referring to the Boise Firebird.

I am not sure of his current address. He just moved. I have never been to Phoenix, so I don't know the area at all. I have been reluctant to visit, as any town that is hotter than a hairdryer is too hot for me!

elkabong said:
Hi all,

I have a bit of a heat problem and I should have my DeWitt's radiator in a day or two. Hopefully I can get it installed before I head to Firebird Intl Raceway for the Friday night drags. Helmet shopping has been a chore because everyone wants to sell me a motorcycle helmet but that won't cut the mustard at a NHRA track. I found a local Simpson dealer and I am headed there this afternoon.

I sarted with a high flow pump and a Robert Shaw 180 stat in my 383, she ran too hot for my liking. Added a DeWitts (very nice piece) and a Big Mouth air dam. No change, hope you have better results :eyerole

Have fun at the strip :beer Hotlapping my car has cost me up to 4/10's on many occasions and she don't cool down quick if it's over about 70 F.

I have a Mr. Gasket 180 tstat in there now with a large 3 tube all metal radiator from extremeradiator.com. The extremeradiator.com version was good with the stock 350. I also added a aux fan from a 88. My DeWitts was delivered yesterday, I hope to install it on Friday before I go to the track.

DRTH VTR - I prefer to think of it as a blast furnace but I get the point. Please not jokes about "well at least it is a dry heat".

I would love to see pics of your quasi crossfire. I have an article from some magazine of a guy that had built a 400HP Cross Fire Vette. I have the site bookmarked also of a guy who modifys the intakes and throttle bodies for more flow. I knew the Cross Fire had potential.

:bar

MoeJr said:
I have the site bookmarked also of a guy who modifys the intakes and throttle bodies for more flow.
Is it a secret? :L
I have modded TBIs in the garage, but a stock manifold. :w

I call it Quasi Crossfire because of the XRam manifold. The TBs have been bored out to 2 inches and I have some 2.13s waiting in the wings. With the 2 inchers I can only get to a map reading of 90kpa. Rarely see 100 so that means there is more air flow available and more hp. I am running with the 2 inchers for now and I will do a comparison between the 2 inchers and the 2.13 inchers.

This is what the motor looks like with the XRam and 2 inch TBs.

engdriver.jpg

Moe - Thanks.... My son calls it the "Tire Shredder". Can you guess what he has been doing? That was before I put on the Kuhmo's. Shredding those is reserved for *me* on Friday.

Lionsden (Dan) did the boring on my TBs - both sets. He does excellent work.

Moon – I did not realize that you were still having over heating problems.
Let me up on my soapbox again; WATERLESS COOLING.[font=&quot]
With a stock radiator and water pump it takes Thunder 15 min to get into closed-loop on a 100º humid day and I have never seen it reach 200º even in stop and go traffic in [/font][font=&quot]Madrid[/font][font=&quot] on a 102º day[/font].:w

I cannot wait to hear the results of your first time to the tarck with this car. The look on guys faces will be priceless when they see they been beat by a Cross-Fire Vette. Makes me wanna go out and hug my car.:grouphug:

SPANISHVETTS said:
Moon – I did not realize that you were still having over heating problems.
Let me up on my soapbox again; WATERLESS COOLING.[font=&quot]
With a stock radiator and water pump it takes Thunder 15 min to get into closed-loop on a 100º humid day and I have never seen it reach 200º even in stop and go traffic in [/font][font=&quot]Madrid[/font][font=&quot] on a 102º day[/font].:w

SPANISH, thanks for the link. Lot's of reading there, but this particularly stood out as I perused.

"A common misconception that EVANS “Waterless” Cooling System will operate hotter than water-based cooling systems. With a properly installed system, using the recommended pump and radiator with nothing else changed, the system will operate at the same temperature or often at a slightly lower temperature compared with a system operated on water-based coolant. However, if a major change is made to the fuel mixture or to increase compression, horsepower, or turbo boost, the system will operate hotter due to the higher output of the engine."

Do you have info as to what your temps were prior to Evans? My temps will generally run under 200 cruising, but over about 70 F in traffic I'm in the 210 - 225 range. While this isn't overly hot, it's hotter than I'd like.

I'm figuring the switch'll cost another c note +. After the 7 or so bills I've already spent chasing cooler temps without results it's a small %, but I'd hate to end up spending the $'s without results, again.

My 160 F runs have been the quickest, when I get up to 190 + she slows down quite a bit.

Not tryin' to hijack your thread el, so I hope you find this info helpful in your quest for :cool :beer

Moe.... I hope the memories will be priceless. I am borrowing a neighbors video camera. I hope to hear "And here is Jim with a 84 Corvette and he has a 383 Crossfire under the hood.... what the ffffff!" on the video. :D :L

SpanishVettes - Thanks.... I just wish the tranny was done. But that is for in a month or two. I am still running the stock tranny with a shift kit needless to say the torque converter is a lot to be desired. I have a 2600 stall and rebuild kit waiting to be installed. :cool

Moonunit - No worries. Does not bother me in the least. ;)

hehehe that "what the ffffff" will be coming out of the guy next to you when he realizes the Cross Fire Vette that supposedly was not a contender just blew his doors off. I'd pay money to see that video.

:beer

George Lucas here we come.... "You must unlearn what you have learned young padowan learner." ;LOL

We first used waterless coolant about 10 years ago trying to keep GoldWings cool at low speed (during parades); it worked so good that I tried it in the SBC powered TLC rock-climber and the first 350 that was built for Thunder. The stuff works so good for us that I have now put it in every vehicle that we own.

The radiators and water pumps are new products for Evans. When we started using the product they only made the coolant. Their website had instructions for installing a bleed plug in the stock water pump and thermostat housing and their customer help line went straight to the boss. I suppose that the growth of their line of cooling products is a testament to the feasibility of the product.

Thunder has a stock radiator and the water pump is from GMPP. The 383 has never had anything other than Evans as coolant so I can not give you a comparison however I have never had any overheating problems. The coolant slooooowly rises to the opening temp of the thermostat and stays there under most conditions. If I am on the open road the temp will oscillate around the open/close point, in town in stop & go traffic on the hottest day it never reaches 200º.
:lou:w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom