Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

" 4.10 rear gear up grade "

sxyvet

Corvette
1991 ZO7 coupe, 6 speed,red on red w/most options!
hi there guys,
i have a 1991 zo7 vette with 6 speed and 3.45 rear ratio!
i run mostly just cruising around trafic light to trafic light racing/mucking around and the vette is not a daily drive,mere just a toy!!!
im thinking of up grading and buying a set of 4.10 rear gears!
has any one had good results/power from this mod please?
any thoughts/advice or great experiences?
thanks
glen
Australia

can any one help or not?

doesnt any one on this site have a 4.10 rear and can tell me how it is ???? :ugh
glen

Do it if you answer yes to the following.
1. You want better performance.
2. You don't mind shifting a little more often.
3. You want to use 5th gear more.

It will be less than 400 RPM higher at 70MPH.
You will not regret it. I promise.

Al

hi there guys,
i run mostly just cruising around trafic light to trafic light racing/mucking around and the vette is not a daily drive,mere just a toy!!!
thanks
glen
Australia

Glenn,

4.xx gears are a popular mod with the LTX engined cars,(LT1, LT4, and LT5) however, I haven't seen/heard of that many TPI cars with 4.10s. I'd bet it's due to the shorter power band. Have you modded your engine for some higher revs?

Mike

Glenn,

4.xx gears are a popular mod with the LTX engined cars,(LT1, LT4, and LT5) however, I haven't seen/heard of that many TPI cars with 4.10s. I'd bet it's due to the shorter power band. Have you modded your engine for some higher revs?

Mike

My experience with the L98 is that it runs out of breath at around 4,500rpm.

4.10 might be too much gear for it. Although the 6 speed might make a difference.

Maybe 3.73's would be a better choice.

I know 4.10's are a popular mod on M6 LS1cars, but then again, they have 2k rpm longer operating range than a L98.

With the engine mods that you have and your stated use of the car the 4:10 gears will be fine.

hi there guys,
thanks
glen
Australia

With your mods I would not get the 4.10 gear. A super ram is not the ideal setup for those gears...even with a 6 speed.

Now if you had a single plane or miniram manifold and more cam i'de go for it.

:beer

With your mods I would not get the 4.10 gear. A super ram is not the ideal setup for those gears...even with a 6 speed.

Now if you had a single plane or miniram manifold and more cam i'de go for it.

:beer
With the ported super ram and that cam it should pull hard to 5500 or better but no matter what the rev limit is if stop light drags is what you do the 4:10 gear with the 6 speed will beat the 3:45 gear every time.

Only down side will be less top end speed and less MPG while cruising on the open road.

I'm not a big fan of low gears but for what he has said he wants to do with this car the 4:10 gears will wake it up no matter what rpm it quites pulling.
When it peaks just shift to a higher gear

Lower gears will accelerate harder regardless of rpm.

Will a car with a engine that makes max power at a higher rpm outrun this car if both had 4:10 gears??ABSOLUTELY but that don't change the fact that this car will accelerate faster with the lower gear.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom