Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

4 cams or 2?

• Thread starter Thread starter Brett
  • Start date Start date
B

Brett

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, but since I don't have a ZR-1 to dissect, this is something I have always wondered and have never been able to set right.

On the LT-5 engine, it says "4 Cam". But the engine is listed as a DOHC.

So then what does the "4 Cam" on the engine mean? Four camshafts seems awfully strange...

Brett

Brett said:
I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, but since I don't have a ZR-1 to dissect, this is something I have always wondered and have never been able to set right.

On the LT-5 engine, it says "4 Cam". But the engine is listed as a DOHC.

So then what does the "4 Cam" on the engine mean? Four camshafts seems awfully strange...

Brett

Brett, it has 4 cams:

http://corvetteactioncenter.com/specs/c4/zr1/index.html

The engine blow-up clearly shows the four chamshafts. Thank you!

So why is it always listed and often referred to as a DOHC engine?

Brett

Re: Re: 4 cams or 2?

I’m not sure ..unless they think of it as DOHC on each bank:D

Re: Re: Re: 4 cams or 2?

Wegone said:
I’m not sure ..unless they think of it as DOHC on each bank:D

Actually, that's probably how they are looking at it. It's kind of a misnomer. "Quad-Cam" would be more accurate I guess. :D

Well... they use the term DOHC in the same way they use OHV... you don't really need to know exactly how many, just the basics... knowing you have a DOHC V-8 gives you everything you need to tell the basic makeup of the engine

Jeffvette said:
DOHC, double overhead cam

You have two heads, so you get 4 cams.

Correct-o-mundo (Say in Samuel L. Jackson Voice)

The LT5 is a DOHC is a 4 cam motor, one for the intake valves one for the exhaust valves. My 99 GT is a SOHC 2 cams, one per head.

Ok, a follow up question: What does it mean when a car says Twin Cam? Is that just a misleading, "cooler" way to make an SOHC engine sound like a 4 cam engine to a layperson?

Brett

You have to know what type of engine it is (in-line or Vee) to be able to apply the "nicknames" (OHV,SOHC,DOHC) to give you "how many camshafts?"As stated above, it depends on how many heads.

OHV anything=1 cam
SOHC=1 cam per head(1 cam on in-lines, 2 cams on Vees)
DOHC=2 cams per head(2 cams on in-lines, 4 cams on Vees)

In referance to "Twin Cam"(as in Saturns or old Cosworth Vegas?)
I think they mean per head also, and as these are in-lines their correct on both counts, 2 per head & 2 total ei. "Twin".

This should hold true unless some guy sticks one of those Saturn badges on a late model Mustang V8 ;LOL

Just kidding:crazy

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom