Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

4 spd Muncie yoke question

lone73

Corvette
'73 4spd coupe, '04 6 speed coupe
I need to know the spec'd minimum diameter of the yoke, where it rides on the tail housing bushing. Anyone have that documented somewhere or know where I can get it. I'm considering replacing mine as part of the trans rebuild.

I have looked into sleeving locally, no one has ever heard of such a thing.

thanks

Why not buy a new one this yoke my interchange with a Camaro
or other G.M model
Alan

Alan76 said:
Why not buy a new one this yoke my interchange with a Camaro
or other G.M model
Alan

The Corvette front yoke is unique, as it has U-bolts retaining the U-joint trunnions (instead of just pressed into the shaft ears) so you can remove the prop shaft.
:beer

Those are going for over $100 in some places.I'm not sure if they are being reproduced or not.

The yoke for the TH400 and St-10 are same and also up there in prce and hard to get.

If you have an electric motor repair shop in your area they used to spray weld the shafts and trun them to the original size. I had thsi done on a 69 yoke 25 years ago and it still has the same OD. Of course trying to find someonw who still does this might be harder then finding a new yoke!

I believe you can find all the info (and parts) you want for the Muncie at AutoGear.com . the have all kind of info including exploded views of the individual parts, etc.
They're in New York...Auto Gear Equipment
good luck, jim

Any good repair type machine shop should be able to spray weld repair your yoke where the seal has worn a groove in it. There are several types of spray metal, they should be able to recommend the proper one. Another fix may be a Speedie-Sleeve, which is a thin metal stainless steel sleeve that is pressed over the damaged area, check local bearing supply houses for one. I'm not sure if the yoke is a standard size. Good Luck. Bill

The spindle-sleeve is about $35 at our local bearing shop.

Ol Blue

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom