Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

4 speed and starting the car

Red73BB

Corvette
1969 dark red convert
Question - I was told that on a 4 speed you can only start the car if the car in Neutral. My '69 will start sometimes in reverse and sometimes not. Does the lockout interlock need adjusting?

:w

I have owned a number of 4-Speed C3's and presently have a 1981 4-Speed. Too the best of my memory they all only started if the Clutch was engaged. It didn't matter if the transmission was in Neutral, First, Fourth or Reverse ;shrug

Now I have only owned One Automatic C4 and now a C5 and they would/will start in either Neutral or Park ;)

Bud

Sorry, I should of wrote with the clutch engaged. Still sometimes with the clutch engaged and in reverse the car will not start, is this because of the interlock not properly adjusted?
Gary

If the systems are working properly.

On 69-81 with manuals, if the clutch interlock switch and circuitry is operating properly, the car will start in any gear as long as you have the clutch on the floor.

But, to lock the ign and remove the key, you need to shift into reverse.

Up behind the clutch pedal under the dash there is a safety switch. There are purple wires going to it. The clutch pedal has to be pressed down to make the switch and allow the circuit to close. If the switch is broken or missing then it will start in gear. This started in 69 I believe. As hib said the anti-thief device on the 69-81 4 speeds was to lock it in reverse and remove the key.I guess this stopped the thiefs from 1969, well not really.

My earlier post is incorrect as far as the model years.

69-77 may have required the transmission to be in reverse before the key could be removed.

I was advised by PM that for 78-82, the car could be left in any gear or no gear. To lock the ignition and remove the key and it is required only that the driver move an ignition lock lever to remove the key and

Sorry for any confusion the bad info has caused.

Photo below is a '69 Camaro pedal support, but the parts are similar across all Chevrolet car lines; the purple wire from the "Start" terminal on the ignition switch goes through the switch to the "S" terminal on the starter. The normally-open switch closes when the clutch pedal is depressed (disengaged) and the starter will then operate; doesn't matter what gear a 4-speed is in. This is covered in your owner's manual. :)

ClutchSafetySwitch800.jpg

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom