Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

400ci home build project

Peer81

Corvette
'81 Black
Hello everybody,

As I already have alot going on in my '81 "resto" topic I decided to take the 400ci build part out of it and put it in this seperate topic. That way it wouldn't be one big mess and easier for me to update.

So first the info I took out of my topic:

For some time I was thinking to get another engine. Not just to buy a compleetly new engine but to calculate everything myself, buy all the parts and assemble it myself. I'm not in a hurry but it should be in my car within 4 years (as the body off took almost 10 years I think this is doable) :)

First I was thinking to build a 383. As a friend had a nice 350 roller engine for sale with a 1 piece RMS I bought that one. (previous picture) But as I was searching ebay for some head studs I came across a nice Dart SHP 400ci engine. I already knew that the Dart engine really was THE engine for me but as they aren't that cheap (I have to get it to this side of the atlantic) I never gave it much thought. But this engine had less then a hour time on it as it was checked for leaks and then boxes away. As they order was cancelled they parted out the engine and put everything on ebay. Lucky for me I was the highest bidder and also for some other stuff he was selling. After some good and quick emails back and forward I transferred the money and the enige was packed for the harbor. And now (I think a month later) I have it in my garage :upthumbs

Yes it was a nice day when the truckdriver called me that he had arrived. As I was working my father unloaded the package and I wend looking that same evening.
Well the engine really looks great, you can still see the cross markings in the cilinderwalls and it even has the white cam grease on the cam bearings, like new but with all the engine work already done!

IIMG_2563.jpg

IIMG_2564.jpg

Here the ARP head studs I was looking for in the first place and at the back a surprise from Michael (the seller) a Cloyes timing set! :D

IIMG_2565.jpg

And a ATI super damper. No more problems with the original rubber line in between the damper. It also accepts a blowergear in front of it but I'll just use it like this.

IIMG_2566.jpg

And the list goes on! A flywheel also almost brand new. Don't know how many teeth but as I also need a high torque starter that isn't a problem.

IIMG_2567.jpg

Also included a set with hellfire piston rings, they were in the engine when i ran but they are all nicely labeled with the correct cilinder number. So if I may say so, his is a damn good start! :happyanim:

And still not all. Last week I found a nice Milodon 31506 oil pan on ebay (still in plastic) but as I was the only one bidding I got it for $150 :rotfl The seller also included a Milodon 18465 pickup with 3/4 inlet. These parts are at this moment in a warehouse in Paramount waiting on my other parts.

I was looking for a good oil pump. Don't want no high volume or high pressure and with the 3/4 pickup inlet my choise is the Melling 10554. As I don't know how old the current water pump is I'm also going to order a new one for this engine the Milodon 16215. Those parts will be the next package crossing the ocean. :)

On the engine. I want it to be a torque engine as I'm not really a high rev somebody, but from time to time I still want to be able to hit 6000 rpm. As I see it now static compression will be around 9.75:1 (with iron heads and regular gas) and dynamic at 8.2:1 (thats about max I can give it when I build it myself.
The crankshaft will be a Callies Compstar, pushrods and pistons I don't know but forged steel and forged alu.
Cam and lifters Compcams (OEM roller) or something better (any suggestions?)
Heads, at this moment I have Dart Iron Eagles 180cc with 72cc combustion laying around but maybe a alu CNC head will be better for this engine. Still need to lookup the flow numbers are low lift.
Intake will be stock L81 (maybe the runners matched to the heads) or something better but I don't think there is much that will fit.
Carb will be the E4ME with some tweaks.
Exhaust already is a 2,5" true dual with x-pipe and original short tube headers. I think I'm going to change the headers in to long tubes for Stainless works. I have the time so at this moment ebay's automatic search is my friend.

What TQ and HP numbers am I looking for? Don't really care the only thing that I need is an engine so my 81 will leave my friends 86 vette far far behind! :D

Greetings Peter

Last edited:
This summer the ebay parts came in.

The new Milodon oil pan with 6qt volume

IMG_5425.JPG

IMG_5426.JPG

Then of course I found a nice E4ME q-jet that I bought. I already rebuild it with new plugs (with epoxy) etc etc. :)

IMG_5427.JPG

The spider with retainerplates, Melling 10554 oil pump (standard flow and volume) and the Milodon oil pickup.

IMG_5428.JPG

And a stock fuel pump with a high flow waterpump from Milodon.

More info on the engine:

Heads. Aluminium Dart SHP heads, 72cc with 180cc intake runners (ported the will flow the same as the 200c ones).
icon2_smile.gif

Intake. Weiand Street Warrior (still fits below the stock hood)
Lifters. I wanted the Morel 5315 but that is really overkill as the Chevy LS6 lifters also fit and are as good below 7000rpm. So LS6 lifters it is!
Timing Chain. JP Performance
Rods. Callies Compstar 6.00 H-beams
Crankshaft. Callies Compstar int. ballanced with 3.75 stroke 2 piece RMS.
Bearings. Clevite 77H
Headgasket. Fel Pro Permatorque MLS 0.041"
Pistons.... Custom Race Tec 10x!
- As 4.127" isn't a normal size for the cilinders and I don't like to even go bigger with the cilinders I began looking at custom pistons. Maybe a little more money but then I have pistons that fit! I don't know the deckheight the engine has but if it's stock 9.025" then I also want the pistons to be 0.025" higher so I don't have to zero deck the engine. That way I can still get the correct quench and use a good headgasket. As they are custom I got the advise to let them make 2 extra so if something goes wrong I still have two spear ones.
Piston rings. Total seal
Camshaft I still don't know but the duration will be something around 264 of more so the engine will still accept regular gas.
icon2_smile.gif

With a 8cc dish in the pistons and the 264 duration camshaft the static compression will be 10.23 and dynamic 8.23 so that is just perfect I think.

The Dyno2003 estimate:

420 hp (crankshaft) @ 5000 rpm
500 lb ft torque @ 3500 rpm

More then enough for me! :D

Greetings Peter

As a friend is going to the States within the months I'm ordering some heavy parts that he wants to take home with him. :)
I also read that Dart is going to up the price on the SHP heads by 15% from 1-1-'14 so ordering now is the best thing to so.
I'm going to order the heads bare so I can follow up on the valvesprings as the cammanufactorer will suggest.
So the order will be:
2x Dart SHP heads with 180cc runners and 72cc chambers.
Manley street flow 2.02 intake valves and 1.60 exhaust valves.
Manley 7/16 rocker arm studs
Dart adjustable guide rockers
and the Weiand street warrior manifold.

This way I begin on the heads be cc'ing the combustion chambers and maybe doing some port work.
Well that's if for now :)

Greetings Peter

Christmas came early!! :)

Mac

good luck Peter!!!!!:cool!:
looks like fun!!!!!!!:thumb:thumb

Check out Comp Cams. They produce killer street cams for small block Chevys. Even Lingenfelter uses them. I used their street cams back in the 80s and 90s with great results - good power at reasonable rpms. Worth a look.

Last edited:
Thanks everybody :)

As for the camshaft. I'm pretty sure it's going to be a hydraulic roller cam from Mike Jones :)

Greetings Peter

It's going to be a great engine. Building it yourself is a very satisfying experience.

Tom

You probably already know this already but the last picture shown in post 1 is not a flywheel, but a ring gear for an automatic transmission. If you have a manual transmission, this will not work.

Great job on epoxying the well plugs on the carb, this is a commonly overlooked procedure on DIY rebuilds. Good luck on the project, looks to be a strong engine. :)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom