Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

427 motor question

sjdeetz

Hello,

I am wondering if anyone can tell me two things regarding the L-88 motors. I am trying to identify the motor in my car, it has been decked.

Did all L-88's come with alluminum heads?

Could a block with casting 3963512 and date code J11 9, be a block from an L-88?

Thanks in advance, Steve

Yes, the 512 block was used for the L88 engine, but it was also used for just about every other big block engine type, both 427 and 454.

A casting date of J (October) 11th 1969 makes it pretty late to get into a 69 model year Corvette, the last year of factory installed L88 production.

Aside from the aluminum heads, what clues do you have that it might be an L88?

Thanks for the reply,

I wish I had more knowledge on this, but my only clue comes from an article.

this motor is now in a 1967 camaro, that I own. It was in an August 1979 issue of CarCraft magazine, and in that article it was listed as an L-88 block.

My reason for checking into this, is I have been kicking around the thought of selling this as a running motor if it would be better suited back in a Vette, and doing a crate in mine.

if you have any clues that would be helpful, please let me know.

Thank you for your time.

There very few 'real' L88s built, but probably hundreds of deliberate clones/conversions/hot rods powered by over the counter crate L88s have since been created

If your engine could be demonstrated to actually be an L88, and came out of a certain Corvette, it would be well worthwhile reuniting it with the original car.

Other than that, it belongs in your Camaro as much as any other vehicle! :beer

may also help

Hi Steve, i looked at my 2007 corvette black book information and i will quote from that for you. block no, 3963512 is a 1969 427 390hp 400hp 430hp 435 hp , and also is listed for 454ci in 390hp for 1970 .but it does say, some early 1970 models may have 1969 engine codes. 1967 blocks start from 386 and 390 and391.1968 blocks start from 391 and 393. 1969 blocks start from 393 to 396. in 1967 20 L88 built, 1968, 80 built, 1969 116, built. and in 1969 two special L88 with aluminuim blocks built code ZL1. regards wayne.

I looked at passenger side by the head, and it looks as if it has been decked because there is nothing there.

is there another area to look at?

Some big blocks got a stamp above the oil pan rail. May not be there on your block.

:)

That's the location of the raised casting date on most big-blocks, just forward of the starter, near the freeze plug; nothing stamped there. If it's been decked, the clues are gone.

:beer

Hi

If it was a 321 block, I would be interested, even decked, 2 or 4 bolt main.

The 512 blocks are less rare and being decked , OK only to clone a car, be it a L36, L71, L89 or L88.

Günther

...A casting date of J (October) 11th 1969 makes it pretty late to get into a 69 model year Corvette, the last year of factory installed L88 production...

'69 production continued through December 19, 1969. An October casting date could have made production. The L-88 gurus will have to determine whether any '69 L-88 cars were produced between October 11 and December 19. I've read accounts which stated L-88 cars were hard to get your hands on and waiting times were long.

I think there is a group which collects/restores/documents L-88s and ZL-1s. I believe they have a website, but I can't find a link for them.

:)

I have a 72 corvette stock engine, do all corvette engines have 4 main caps or just earlier years? Bob

Welcome to the :CAC

Generally, the high horsepower engines got the 4-bolt; lower horsepower got 2-bolt mains.

This is not an absolute, but applies to most of at least the C2 and C3 cars. I have no idea on later years.

:w

Some have 4 bolts, many more are 2 bolts. Which specific engine do you have?

For normal street use, 2 is more than adequate. 4 bolts are really only needed for continuous high HP, high RPM usage.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom