Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

5 yrs and still on stock batt

B

BoeingMan

I have an 02 roadster and I am still running on the original stock battery.

I have heard horror stories of the stock battery's performance. Leaks, shorts, corrosion, short battery life are just some of them.

Again, I am still running the original stock unit. I do boost it with my external charger every two to three weeks if I am not driving it. It takes about 20 minutes to come up to full charge and doesn't draw an unusually high charge.

Other than the batt drawing down after long storage periods, I haven't experienced any of the aforementioned problems. And by the way, I think the batt draws down due to the cars electonics sucking up the stored juice and not that it's a defective battery.... I say my batt is still good for the forseable future.

How many here are running longer then 5 yrs on their original battery?

Do I hear 6? Is there a seven year guy somewhere?

I have a late build 2001. I'm on my third battery, however I don't drive it in the winter, and my previous storage situation didn't always allow me to get a charger on it every week during the winter.

I'm certain that the batteries would have lasted longer had the car been driven daily, however since I didn't want to take any chances on being stranded, I opted to replace the battery, just for insurance.

03 built in Jan 03 -45,000 miles -org battery.Please keep in mind my car is perfect and I wash and wax my battery daily.

My car was built in November or December 2000 and as far as I can tell, the battery is stock. I know that it has not been changed since June '03, but it's possible that it was prior to that. I'm fairly confident it's the original.

It is on a trickle charger when in storage. I took advantage of the weather the other night and took mine out for spin, it started up like clockwork, even after over 4 months parked. Oh yes, Corvette season is almost here. Unfortunately, I woke up to snow this morning. :(

And for the record, while I was out on Tuesday night, I :w to 2 C4's and 1 C6, none of them waved back. The woman driving the first C4, which I think was a 40th, looked at me like I was an idiot. ;shrug

...Please keep in mind my car is perfect and I wash and wax my battery daily.

:L
Alright then, we all want to see pic of you clay-barring your battery, just to serve as inspiration to us.

:w
-Patrick

Clay and wax your battery? What a smashing idea! :D

Here's a pic of my batt. Doesn't need it just yet.:upthumbs

attachment.php

03 built in Jan 03 -45,000 miles -org battery.Please keep in mind my car is perfect and I wash and wax my battery daily.

Well mine was built 10/04/97, 30,980 miles, original battery. I push start it out of the garage every day. I also have 3 sets of seat covers per seat and drive with surgical booties on the tires.

;LOL

Mine is a 99 and had the original battery until 2 weeks ago. 32,000 miles. The only warning was the HUD wouldn't stay at it's brightest level. Everything was fine, we went to dinner, when we came out, it wouldn't start. It was so dead, we couldn't jump start it.

Mine is a 99 and had the original battery until 2 weeks ago. 32,000 miles. The only warning was the HUD wouldn't stay at it's brightest level. Everything was fine, we went to dinner, when we came out, it wouldn't start. It was so dead, we couldn't jump start it.

We have a winner.

Some people just like "living on the edge"??? :L When I had my '02 convertible, it went through two Delco AGM batteries within its first 3,000 miles (second was a warranty replacement for the first - GM recognoized they had a problem with the AGM batteries; even Delco acknowledged there was a problem). Neither would hold a charge longer than two days with the car just sitting. Swapped out to an Optima Red Top and problems disappeared. :upthumbs

So are you saying that the headlights not popping up when turned on are a warning? It's only happened twice in the last month.

Guess I'll have the battery checked tomorrow before I head to San Francisco for the day. With my luck I'd be stuck in a parking garage in the middle of the night - and my cell phone would probably be dead too.

So are you saying that the headlights not popping up when turned on are a warning? It's only happened twice in the last month.

Guess I'll have the battery checked tomorrow before I head to San Francisco for the day. With my luck I'd be stuck in a parking garage in the middle of the night - and my cell phone would probably be dead too.

Going into your 10th year with the original battery, I wouldn't take any chances. Dude, these C5s will never be worth a lot of money...they just built way too many of them. Get a new battery!!!!!

LOL not 5 or 6 but am running on my 04 battery still and never had it hooked up to a charger....yet.:eek:hnoes

10 yrs on the original batt...even for me that's hard to believe .

Some people just like "living on the edge"??? :L When I had my '02 convertible, it went through two Delco AGM batteries within its first 3,000 miles (second was a warranty replacement for the first - GM recognoized they had a problem with the AGM batteries; even Delco acknowledged there was a problem). Neither would hold a charge longer than two days with the car just sitting. Swapped out to an Optima Red Top and problems disappeared. :upthumbs

Mine is a 2002 roadster. I don't see AGM marked anywhere on the batt. I don't think it's an AGM. What does AGM stand for anyway?

>

Im on 7yrs, my2000 vert A-4 still has the Original. But I'm Replacing it this week, I went to start it on Tuesday and it was a no go tried to jump it, and it was just DEAD,dead I tell ya. It reminded me of that F.O.R.D story I hear so much. I don't want to be that guy Boosting his Corvette Not COOL

My 02 still has the same battery and it is a AGM.I use a battery tender on it.:D

Mine is a 2002 roadster. I don't see AGM marked anywhere on the batt. I don't think it's an AGM. What does AGM stand for anyway?

>
Your battery is a AGM if you look at the lower tag in the middle at the top of the tag.:)

I was courious about battery acid leaking out of my like 3 yr old then 97 C-5. lifted it out and the entire battery tray was H2SO4, but it went no further and I flushed it out with baking soda. Replaced with Yellow top Optima and have never given it a thought again.
Oh I love the story about the wave. Here in Arkansas Corvette's are like Honda's and really I'am guilty of not recognizing 06 until there past me. Most return wave I think. Here you keep your EYE on the road or else.
Thanks Mike
New to Arkansas from Arizona

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom