Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: 53-62 Flaming River steering column

Stemmer

Corvette
Because of my problems with the turn signal switch in my Corvette, I'm contemplating purchasing a Flaming River or Ididit steering column...

According to the Ididit site some modifications are required to your existing steering column to accomodate the Ididit unit....

http://www.ididitinc.com/retrofit_columns/53_68_chevy_tilt_column_fs58_62_corvette_oh.html
53-62 Corvette
Due to lack of space in front of the dash this column is only available in a straight version. The original under-dash mount will be used and you will be required to fabricate your own floor mount. There is a solid shaft that extends from inside the gearbox to the steering wheel. This shaft will need to be cut and modified to fit a coupler. Your original wheel or an aftermarket wheel can be used. Although, a new adapter will be required.

I could not find any similar info at the Flaming River site, so I sent them an e-mail asking....

This is the reply I got back....

Dear Ken,
The column is a direct bolt in column with the exception of the
wiring,however, we also offer the female side of the column's wiring
plug,that will allow you to transfer the stock wiring over to this
adapter, and then plug into the column.

Best Regards,
Tech Dept.
Flaming River Ind.
800-648-8022

Has any regulars installed a FR column with the stock 53-62 front suspension?

Cheers

Ken

The Flaming River tech response is hogwash - their column requires exactly the same rework/fabrication as the Ididit column does; maybe they didn't understand that you were asking about a C1.

:beer

I have an Ididit column in my '60 but also a Meyers IFS to a rack and pinion. So my connections on the far end are different than yours, but the column went into the stock hole and was mounted up with stock Corvette parts. It sticks through the firewall about 4 inches give or take.

You use double D 3/4" bars to go between the universal joints. The question you need to ask, how do you mate up to the stock steering gears? Once you know how to do that, the rest should be easy since the existing steering column goes from the firewall to the steering gear box already.

Here is my set up....

IMG_2223Small-vi.jpg

IMG_2175Small-vi.jpg

I would suggest going with the SS u-joints and the double D bars, yes it costs more, but they don't rust. I started with the non-SS versions and this is what I had after 5 months....
IMG_2167Small-vi.jpg

IMG_2271Small-vi.jpg

good luck, Herb

WOW that would be a allot of work to fix a blinker problem,

But I do have to say I have had what seams like a minor problem become so frustrating that you would bewilling to do anything to eliminate it.

If your only trying to fix the blinking problem I would first see if the steering wheel is indexed to the steering shaft. then I would invest in a new switch with the harness Lectric limeted has a switch for only 21.00 so it might be worth the effort to replace the switch again. I would also check with paragon for the canceling cam

if you go with the steering colom its allot of work as you have to actually cut your excisting column then adapt to it. depend on what your plans are for the car. the only benifit I would see from the idit column is the ability to add flashers and the saftey of making it a colapsable column instead of a spear from a front end collision

Best of luck

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom