Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

53 Corvette #29 (x2?)

I guess I'm going to have to dig it out - my initial feelings is that this would have been an Engineering WO and that it probably would not have received a Styling Shop Order until it got there, but....

On another topic, your listing of 1953 motor stampings somewhere above has an entry for, apparently, VIN #20 - is that accurate or am I misreading the listing? I have asked over the years if anyone knew where #20 was because I have some ownership information about the car and an Engineering WO concerning the car. Educate me.

Loren, any luck on any Corvair Fastback data yet? Work Orders, etc.? I've never seen or heard anything on the origins of that car. Vin number, how many cars were actually made? To my knowledge, there is no proof in writing that there was more than one car, although I suspect that there may have been a Canada Motorama car in addition to the US car.
Thanks

You mean top tell me that there is someone that would know more about these Corvair's than OLE Roger?? Tell me it ain't so.;LOL;LOL

What paper work did #29 have anyway???

Given that the Fla car has 30+ years of title history, and the "other" 029 car has only a few months of history, I would think that this should be a no-brainer for the DMV people!

If you guys are waiting for the owner of the "other" 029 car to step forward and clear this all up, I hope your are not holding your breath waiting for this to happen.:boogie
It is probably in his best interest to keep his head down and wait for this all to go away. Anything he would say now would probably just dig that hole he is in even deeper!

Regards, John McGraw

I wonder how the title of #29 in Indiana came about? Did the owner have a vaild title to present when he titled the car? I know in Kentucky, as previously noted in another post, you have to apply for a title and have the vehicle inspected (they DO run the number through the NCIC, BTW) before getting a title. The inspection is completed and mailed with the title application to Frankfort for a new state title. The key thing is this...you have to have a title for the car from another state (or Kentucky) before applying for a new title in Kentucky, a bill of sale will not work. It's not strenuous like other states, but it is detailed and more investigative that other states.

I just wonder how the owner of #29 aplied for a title. He had to have SOMETHING in the form of a title tranfered to his name with the #29 on it in order to even apply for a title in Indiana. You just can't pick a number down and write it on a piece of paper and apply for a title. There are some states that will title an older car (pre-1975) with a bill of sale only, but Indiana is not one of those states, Alabama coming to mind. I just wonder what he had showing ownership in his name before getting the Indiana title.

To say that this car had no history before now makes it a fake is an overstatement. The appearance of the other #29 now does cast some light on it....and the photo of the VIN is great evidence. Ultimately, only one will be "the real mccoy" and the other will disappear real quick. Just to say that it has "no history" does not automatically make it fake. Recently other 53's have come out of the woodwork. There are other 1953's out there that are owned and not mentioned in any registries, two come to my mind, one in Alabama and one in Connecticut that I know about (I am trying diligently to buy one of them....but no luck yet). Only a handful of people know of these two cars and they are legitimate and real! And there are others that were know of in the recent past (20 years or so),but were never documented in detail that have seemed to have disappeared, but may reappear as prices go up.

I just have to wonder what paperwork existed showing a title and title history of the #29 in Indiana? Was a real title from some state used, or was a title "created" in a bill of sale state like Alabama or Tennessee then used to create paperwork and then used in Indiana.....this paper trail history would shed a lot more light on this subject.

vettecityman53

Welcome to the CAC.

I believe that the Florida title is too old to be in any computer data base. That's probably why no conflict showed up at the time the Indiana title was applied for. I don't know what the computer does here in Ohio but we get titles instantly when applied for, printed at the title office (which is separate from the BMV). It take about 10 minutes to get a title transferred and go out the door new title in hand. I suspect there is a search on the national database and if no conflict is found out pops the title.

Tom

When it is determined which car is the real #29, what could possibly happen to the "fake #29 " , would it be impounded and sold at auction and be registered as a "kit car " if it is impossible to determine what the real vin is ? :confused

Gary

When it is determined which car is the real #29, what could possibly happen to the "fake #29 " , would it be impounded and sold at auction and be registered as a "kit car " if it is impossible to determine what the real vin is ? :confused

Gary

Once the owner cannot get a title as vin 29 his only option would be the kit car route with a state issued vin tag.

Tyler

Actually in the state of Florida it only has to be notary who inspects the vin and verfies it appears to be valid. Thats how I did it with my prototype when I had it registered in FL with a GA title since I did not want to drive it to the DMV.

Tyler

Geez, Tyler; I'm a notary! (And on those tires I wouldn'tve driven it either!)

As to the "kit" car route - I'll betcha dolla there's a serial number stamped on that IN #029 frame; just got a "4" where there should be a "3"

Geez, Tyler; I'm a notary! (And on those tires I wouldn'tve driven it either!)

As to the "kit" car route - I'll betcha dolla there's a serial number stamped on that IN #029 frame; just got a "4" where there should be a "3"

But you do not make 70 mile house calls. (The tires only have 3800 miles on them).

I actually do not think there is a whole car. I think he just screwed the vin to an incomplete 54 body/frame and showed it to the person who looked at it. It is my understanding he never had a car built/restored just made claims that he had the car. He is not capable of doing the work needed to restore any car.

Tyler

If I read the 1953 registry correctly, a Roger Roberts of Indianapolis, IN also owns #98. Is this the same guy?

After initially putting off getting my 1954 Corvette inspected, I finally got around to it yesterday.
Another reason in the delay was the Inspectors stipulation that the car had to be in running condition and I had a fuel problem that was keeping me from being able to drive it any distance.
I made the call yesterday morning to the Inspection Division in my North Carolina county. He was able to come yesterday afternoon.
He looked at my registration, temporary title and shipping paperwork from out of state.
He took pictures of my vin tag, engine block number and a few overall pictures of the interior and exterior.
He told me that if everything was in order, I would receive my title in 3 to 4 weeks. If things were not in order he would call me today. Yes, they would impound the car.
Well, the good news is that I did not get a call from him today.
They have quite a busy schedule. He said he averages 40 thousand miles a year inspecting cars in this area.

Tim Ames in Brooksville FL is doing the restoration on the car. With help from many behind the scenes he was able to determine this car is very original in the frame and body areas. Ken Kaiser will have an article with pictures in a vette magazine on the newsstands in December. Tim has approched the owner and she agreed to have the car displayed at the Winter Regional and attend as a guest.

In view of the above events I leave the complete telling of the story to a latter date however Florida has issued the title to her and it is a clear title for a 1953 corvette vin # E53S001029 in her name.

Again thanks to Rob for letting this story play through. I must admit I started it. I knew of the IN #29 from the Corvette Forum postings. About 2 months ago Bill told me that Ken Kaiser was looking at a 53 in Florida that promised to be a real car. When I asked about the vin and he said 29 I was floored. I told him when Ken had determined it was real to get a pict of the vin and post a Whats this on CF. Little did I know it get him banned but then he always was a rable rouser.

This story has raised some questions that still have not been answered concerning titles and how long they are kept active in state databases. I hope to get the answer from Florida but I recomment those of you with cars that have not been registered but you have titles call your DMV to be informed just what the rules are.

Tyler

Good job Tyler, and all who brought this mess to somewhat of a close. A friend of mine checked with the IN Statehouse DMV today. The IN title has been forfeited and no longer exists. I can't wait to read Ken's article in December and see the REAL #029 in January.

Also, a huge thanks to Rob and Tom for allowing this issue to be discussed in an open forum. :thumb

So, one down and two to go? :D

Rob - perhaps it's time to "edit" the 53 Registry...

I'll be watching for this article to come out. It should be a good read. Will the car be completed at the Fla Regional or be an in progress display?

Tom

I'll be watching for this article to come out. It should be a good read. Will the car be completed at the Fla Regional or be an in progress display?

Tom

I believe it will be "in-progress" (and not very far if I'm correct) in order to allow a thorough inspection.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom