Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

'59 fraud on eBay??

CHEV66JB

Corvette
'59 Corvette #5366
I was doing my regular hunt for 1959 Corvettes for sale on eBay this morning, and came across this auction. Only thing is, the VIN# begins with J58S, not J59S, which indicates that the car is a '58 Corvette, not a '59.. I have sent the seller these details but we'll see if I hear back- Just wanted to send a heads up!

Regards,

Jim

It may be suspicious, but remember, mistakes are made. When I first registered my '58 here in Washington (it was a California car), my new title came back saying it was a '59! Needless to say, I got that fixed right away.

Re:

The seller just replied and told me it was a typo- Just wanted to make sure my peeps knew I had their back.. :D

Jim

Has anyone seen the 59 on ebay with a price of 7999 in US dollars? I don't know what is going on with this listing. Have sent email notes with no replies.

BE CAREFUL! Some of these too good to be true prices can be scams to get you to send a deposit and then you never hear from them again. Not saying this is the case here but just to proceed with caution.

Jack Martin said:
Has anyone seen the 59 on ebay with a price of 7999 in US dollars? I don't know what is going on with this listing. Have sent email notes with no replies.
I saw that too. Here is the ad:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2481585881&category=6168

Note the seller is out of Canada, with no Ebay feedback history. However, the same car is for sale on the traderonline.com website for $69K, by someone out of Texas:

http://adcache.collectorcartraderonline.com/10/0/2/62836802.htm

Has anyone notified Ebay? It's obviously a scam based on highjacked photos.

Tom

Re:

Interesting... I just tried clicking on the link above for the Canada auction, and it says the item is no longer valid- Let's hope someone at eBay realized what was going on and took it down. In the meantime, I've added the TX info link to the '59 Registry.

Regards,

Jim

I just went through a hassle in Delaware over my VIN#. The New jersey title to my car was given to me by the dealer I purchased it from, fully executed. I ran the car through the insoection lane and the VIN was recorded from the VIN plate on the car. I never looked at what they recorded and elected to take the car home rather than park it in the lot and leave it unattended. When I returned to the clerk's window, after waiting and hour and a half, she told me there was a problem, that the 5th digit was an S according to the inspection but that the title showed a 5 in the 5th position. "Do you have the car with you now?" NOOOOOOOOO........ Well you'll have to bring it back. So I went home, saw that the inspection lane had it right and that the S was correct. My New Jersey titile was wrong! Damn! So I got out all of my Corvette books and found one with the begining and ending serial numbers for each month of '60 production. I found another that verified that all '60 Corvettes had an S as the fifth digit. Took the car back with the books and wonder of wonders, they actually accepted the fact that New Jersey made a mistake and gave me a Delaware titile. I thought for sure they'd tell me I would have to go to NJ and get the title corrected there first. Every once in a while reasonableness reigns. :Steer It almost made the fact that it took me 3 trips to the MV department and about 7 hours of total time palatable.:mad

I reported the item to Ebay, and to their credit, they were quick to pull it. This appears to be the same scam someone from Portugal was pulling, "wire me a $3000 deposit and I'll ship the car to you from Europe." I emailed the guy in the ad from yesterday, asking how I could bid on the process, and here is the reply I got:

Hi,
The car is in perfect conditions without any scratches or other mechanical problems.
I will pay the shipping cost and you will pay the money transfer comision.I live in Greece.The car it has a Clear Title wich you will receive it with the car.It can be registerd into your name.You will get all the papers and recipts that you need for the registration.I will ship the car via Lufthansa Airplane Cargo.I sell it so cheap because i can't find a buyer in my country.I want to sell it in US because the car is titled there and it can be easy register in any state from United States.I hope you understand this situation.
So if you really want it please give me an email as soon as possible.Buy it now price is 7999 US DOLLARS .
Thank you!

loren59 said:
I reported the item to Ebay, and to their credit, they were quick to pull it. This appears to be the same scam someone from Portugal was pulling, "wire me a $3000 deposit and I'll ship the car to you from Europe." I emailed the guy in the ad from yesterday, asking how I could bid on the process, and here is the reply I got:

Hi,
The car is in perfect conditions without any scratches or other mechanical problems.
I will pay the shipping cost and you will pay the money transfer comision.I live in Greece.The car it has a Clear Title wich you will receive it with the car.It can be registerd into your name.You will get all the papers and recipts that you need for the registration.I will ship the car via Lufthansa Airplane Cargo.I sell it so cheap because i can't find a buyer in my country.I want to sell it in US because the car is titled there and it can be easy register in any state from United States.I hope you understand this situation.
So if you really want it please give me an email as soon as possible.Buy it now price is 7999 US DOLLARS .
Thank you!
I'm don't think I's ship any moneys to these guy. Something sound a leetel fisheys to mine.

loren59 said:

Hi,
Thank you!
;LOL What an :booty . What's even worse is that there were people actually bidding on this car as if they couldn't smell a rat. I was originally thinking that thankfully this crook posted a price that knowbody would believe but evidentally some people did. :eyerole I wonder if the real owner saw his car on Ebay?

Tom

Re:

Ron,

I am STILL laughing at your post... That was its very funny it waz.

Vette66: Ah, the memories of DE motor vehicle.. Glad I moved over the line into Maryland.. They LOVE old car people :D

Regards,

Jim

Just a thought, my dad used to say ,you can only be taken advantage of through your own greed.

CHEV66JB said:
Ron,

I am STILL laughing at your post... That was its very funny it waz.

Vette66: Ah, the memories of DE motor vehicle.. Glad I moved over the line into Maryland.. They LOVE old car people :D

Regards,

Jim
Didn't want to hijack your post, but thought I'd inject a little humor (very little, some would say). Thanks for keeping us updated on potential scams, it's efforts like yours that will serve to eliminate these folks! :beer

I received the same note from seller. I sent the guy an e mail telling him I would bring the cash and pick the car up knowing full well this had to be scam. I assumed the car was in Canada. He replied with the note.

ro.co2 said:
Just a thought, my dad used to say ,you can only be taken advantage of through your own greed.
I was recently reading on another forum I visit (not car related) how some one was taken on one of these scams.Aparently its obvious to us but not so obvious to others, and they think they are getting the deal of a century.

Reminds me of a '65 Scout I bought in the Colorado Springs area from a private party back in '75. I drove it back home (Seattle) and dutifully went to license it with the State. When the State Patrol were performing their "inspection" they noticed the VIN on the rig didn't match the title! But rather than threaten to confiscate it, they were nice enough to do some research and came to the conclusion that at some previous time it had been on a used car lot with another '65 Scout and when sold, they pulled the wrong title. Don't know how long that went undiscovered, but was VERY glad it was resolved without any major hassles.

This is the group now affectionately known as "Portugal Pete", "Italian Sam", "Romanian Reggie", and many others - same scam, same M.O.; can't believe anyone familiar with eBay doesn't know about them by now.:eyerole

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom