Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

59 Windshield Installation

Chevyman for life

I found a thread on windshield installation but still have a few questions. I tried installing the frame last Saturday with my friend but never got it together. I followed the shop manual but when trying to mount the top frame (with stainless trim) the gasket just kept pulling off.

Now I did use a little non-hardening sealer, and soaped the rubber before trying to get the frame on. The sealer was a mistake even though the shop manual says to use it. I think it made the gasket too slippery and what a mess by the time we gave up. Goo everywhere. The gasket got cut so I've ordered another one and will try to install it dry to the glass, then soap the outside.

One other internet article says you have to take the top stainless off the frame before putting it all together and then just snap the stainless on.

Number one, I don't think I can get the stainless off the frame without damaging it. I'd actually like to get it off as there are some dings I could work out but I've pried pretty hard with putty knives without it coming loose. Any easy way with doing more damage?

Second, does it really need to come apart to get everything assembled?

Any help would be appreciated.

Gerry :confused

First and foremost welcome to the forum, allot of great folks available here to share information with out the normal attitude found in most forums,

This is a link to a post on this topic. My uncle just purchased a 57 so I am glad I found this as this is the information I used to install mine and will use to re-install his

Again Welcome
Larry

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65322

Thanks Larry,

That thread is how I found the forum (unfortunately after we tried getting the windshield together). I'm sure without the sealant the weatherstrip won't try to slide off as easily. Still, we never were able to get it together enough to let go of the top frame.

Also, as I mentioned, if the stainless came off without damaging it I might do that as there are several dings in this one which of course I can't take out without getting my tools behind it. Any experience with taking the top stainless off?

Also started a thread earlier today about putting sun visors on a header which wasn't made for them.

Again thanks for the welcome and your other thread.

Gerry:)

Thanks Larry,

That thread is how I found the forum (unfortunately after we tried getting the windshield together). I'm sure without the sealant the weatherstrip won't try to slide off as easily. Still, we never were able to get it together enough to let go of the top frame.

Also, as I mentioned, if the stainless came off without damaging it I might do that as there are several dings in this one which of course I can't take out without getting my tools behind it. Any experience with taking the top stainless off?

Also started a thread earlier today about putting sun visors on a header which wasn't made for them.

Again thanks for the welcome and your other thread.

Gerry:)

I have to re-read the entire post to refresh my memory. I am not understanding what you cant get off. I asume you have removed the srews holding it post to it?

then I thought the top stainless was just pushed around the rubber

I am going to PM John Mcgraw he is one of the guys who always has all of the answers

The windsheild is off of the car right?

Yes, the windshield is off the car, the posts have been chromed and tabs repaired and I buffed the stainless.

Their were two issues. One was if the stainless had to be separated from the upper frame (as one article said) in order to assemble everything and then it is "just popped on". From your thread it sounds like that doesn't need to be done.

The other was how you would get the stainless off the top trim. It is crimped on but I know there has to be a way to get it off. If I could, I would straighten some of the dings in the stainless.

Thanks,
Gerry

'59 Windshield top frame and stainless

Larry,
The assembly manual isn't too much help as they show it as an assembly. Here's a couple of photos of the two pieces. They are crimped together. One view is from the bottom, the other from top.

Thanks,
Gerry

Gerry,

It is not necessary to remove the stainless from the top channel. The windshield will go together without it being removed.The only time I remove the stainless is to repair and polish them. They come apart, but it takes some work.
Just follow my post from the link, and you will be OK. It si kind of a finesse thing getting all 4 pieces on at the same time, but it will go together with a big rubber hammer!

The first one is always the hardest! :L

Regards, John McGraw

Thanks John,

I think I have the process down now.

However, when you do separate the two top header pieces how do you do it without bending the stainless? I may pick up another one which has just one dent, but right in the center so I'd have to take it apart.

Thanks again,
Gerry

You just pry the molding off. It is kind of tough, as the header is curved, but you just spread the molding with a couple of screwdrivers and it will pull off. Don't worry about bending the moulding, as it is very thick and very tough!
It is easier to put back on than to remove!

Regards, John McGraw

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom