Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

6-Shooter - Clay Bar - Oh My!

Remo

Gone but not forgotten
Corvette
2001 Quicksilver Lingenfelter Convertible
In June at the CAC CruiseFest, my good friend Dwayne, (aka 6-Shooter) suggested that I try clay barring my car. Being the pompous ass that I am, I filed it under "nonsense". Another good friend, Guy Wright, (aka Guy), called me and said he just clayed his C5 and I better get with the program.

Today Guy and I clayed and rewaxed my car. Dwayne, all I can say is, "oh my!!". The car looks unbelievable. The paint is so clean it looks wet. So I take my hat off to Dwayne and thank him for his recommendation. I'm headed to Carlisle in the morning and the car is so slick I bet my gas milage improves.

So if there are other clay bar skeptics out there - let me suggest the you try it. A little work for sure, but well worth it.

Remo:cool

So, Remo, just what is involved in this "claying" of which you speak? I've seen the clay bars at the auto parts store but don't know how you are supposed to use them. My car's finish is pretty nice but it has a few rub/scrape marks (previous owner did it, I swear!) that I'd like to not see...

...what is involved in this "claying" of which you speak?
Pinky - Give this link a look: All about Auto Detailing Clay Bars...

Detailing clay bars are sweeping the car care industry! Formerly reserved for professional detailers and car dealers, clay bars have made their way into the garages of hobbyists and do-it-yourselfers thanks to its ease of use and fantastic results. Detailing Clay is a car care revolution!​

bc12rxdq.gif

Remo

Welcome to the world of the enlightened! I claybarred my Corvette for the first time prior to CruiseFest last Spring and was immediately sold on the process! It made the paint as smooth as glass and I've received numerous compliments and comments of surprise that my paint is original - on an 8 year old Vette.

Have fun at Carlisle!
:w Jane Ann

Here's a question-
When you folks do a clay bar treatment, do you also, before the claying, wash the car with Dawn dish soap? Or use a mixture of water and Dawn that you spray on the car during the claying procedure? I've always heard folks say that Dawn works very well in helping to strip off layers of wax and polish.

-Patrick

Here's a question-
When you folks do a clay bar treatment, do you also, before the claying, wash the car with Dawn dish soap? Or use a mixture of water and Dawn that you spray on the car during the claying procedure? I've always heard folks say that Dawn works very well in helping to strip off layers of wax and polish.

-Patrick

Patrick,

The idea of washing first with Dawn is to strip the car of all wax before using the clay bar. The bar will take off wax, but that's making the bar (and you) work harder. I would not use Dawn during the claybar process.

If you want to use a lubricant other than a "quick detailer", use a mix of 1 tea spoon of CAR wash with 20oz of water. With the quick detailer, you don't have to wash the car a second time to remove any soap residue.

:w
Guy

Things to do this winter

1. Claybar Vette
2. Soundproof Vette
3. Find permanent fix for passenger mirror on Vette...

Hmmm...Mr. Pinky is going to be SO GLAD I joined this forum!

;-)

I'm with Guy, I used Dawn to wash my car initially, stripping off the old wax. But when I used the claybar, I made up a solution of water and Zaino carwash soap to use as a lubricant. And using lots of lubricant makes the process smoother and easier as you go.

After I finished with the claybar, I washed the car again and rinsed to remove all the soap residue.

:w Jane Ann

...But when I used the claybar, I made up a solution of water and Zaino carwash soap to use as a lubricant. And using lots of lubricant makes the process smoother and easier as you go.

Now that's brilliant, Jane Anne! :upthumbs I will start using the Zaino wash/water mixture.

-Patrick

Things to do this winter

1. Claybar Vette
2. Soundproof Vette
3. Find permanent fix for passenger mirror on Vette...

Hmmm...Mr. Pinky is going to be SO GLAD I joined this forum!

;-)

Pinky,
The best thing about winter is all the projects you'll get to start... er... and complete :gap
Mr. Pinky might think you're a little touched in the head with all the vette projects (if he's not a vette guy), but at least it will keep him out of your hair for a while ;)

I have been using clay bar for years in my other cars. It removes all the grime that gets embedded in the paint and you can not see. This embedded grime prevents your paint from breathing and the wax from bringing out the maximum shine. The best part is that it does not strip paint off.

Heh - Mr. Pinky BOUGHT me the Vette! (he picked it out and signed the papers anyway, I make the payments)

I think I'll keep them both.

I have been using clay bars for years. Check out my signature!

87,000 miles and still looks like it did when I picked it up off the showroom floor! Well, actually, it looks BETTER!

For years, only the oldest and the best body men would use a clay bar. The secret's out! ;)

SAVE THE :w

Remo,
glad you finally joined the crowd. I can telll you it looks good on a 24 year old car (with a 14-15 year old paint on it) as well.. ;)

I have only done that once, 2 years ago with Zaino, and while it was a long weekend, it still looks great and the rain just sits on it as a bubble.

:w
-Stefan

.... I made up a solution of water and Zaino carwash soap.....

Jane Ann, I keep a misting bottle full of a water/Zaino mix in the garage and take it on the road. Squirt it on the front end when you stop and it will make the bugs much much easier to get off. Bug guts actually contain an acid that can eat into the clear paint coat, I have been told, and the moisture/soap prevents it until you can wash the car. The Zaino carwash won't hurt your wax job.

I started using a clay bar while I was stationed in CA. The water was so hard there you had to cut it with a knife. I used the Meguiars bar and it removed the water spots really well from my dark blue Silverado. I also used it on my wifes black ION. I now use it on all of my vehicles. It works so much better than buffing. I usually use the spray the bar comes with but I also use Meguiars detailing spray which I have had pretty good success with. I also use it to clean between washes, for light dust. Also if you have swirl marks or faded paint there is a great product from a company called The Wax Shop that is called Safe Cut. It works relly good on faded plastic windows or lenses too. Have fun cleaning!!!! Hey I can't clean mine I have to take my wife's word that it is clean.
Steve

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom