Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

6 speed

00fxd

Corvette
'65 Convertable
Who knows what the biggest hurdles are for installing a late 6 speed from a late Corvette or Camaro?

Thanks Jon. The 6 speed in the Corvette/Camaro is the Richmond?

O.K. Thanks John. Does anyone know what kind of issues can I expect installing a Tremec 6 spd in my '65? I imagine it has the larger 31 spline output, some call it the TH400 yoke. Is the Tremec a Borg Warner?

00fxd said:
O.K. Thanks John. Does anyone know what kind of issues can I expect installing a Tremec 6 spd in my '65? I imagine it has the larger 31 spline output, some call it the TH400 yoke. Is the Tremec a Borg Warner?

I think you will have to cut stuff. The 6 spd is longer than the 5 spd and there is not much room under there. It can be done but not without modifications.

Gerry

Thanks Gerry. I'm sure the drive shaft will have to be shortened. Mount moved. I wonder where the shifter will come up. I heard somewhere that these trans can only be made to work with a hydraulic clutch. Input shaft length. Anyone know?

00fxd said:
Thanks Gerry. I'm sure the drive shaft will have to be shortened. Mount moved. I wonder where the shifter will come up. I heard somewhere that these trans can only be made to work with a hydraulic clutch. Input shaft length. Anyone know?

I just did the 5 spd and you must use a different drive shaft. I am mor e concerned about cutting the crossmember and lots more under there. While a 6 spd is nice I spoke to Keisler and they told me the 5 spd is way stonger and a better trans. I really don't see the need for a 6 with all the torque available.

Best regards,
Gerry

00fxd said:

B-W was the original manufacturer of the T-56 6-speed (and other 5-speeds), and sold their manual transmission business to Tremec in 1998. The T-56 is a BIG box, and won't fit in a midyear without surgery to the crossmember and the tunnel.
:beer

I have not been paying too much attetion the this 5spd-6spd stuff. I really love my Muncie/Hurst. Always have. I am kicking and screaming into the realization that I need an overdrive. In my small amount of research I have discovered that the T56 is a double overdrive. I don't need that. The reason for a 6speed was so I could retain my close ratio. The Richmond fills that bill. Is the Keisler overdrive 5spd with the 3.27 low considered a close ratio?

If you go to www.keisler.com you will find all the info you need. I bought the TKO 600 with the .64 overdrive. The 1st gear is 2.87, but I have more than 645 HP. Here is a glimpse.
TKO-500 Ratios: 3.27, 1.98, 1.34, 1.0, 0.68
TKO-600 Ratios: 2.87, 1.89, 1.28, 1.0, 0.64 (0.82 optional
Be prepared for some problems, as I have encountered a few. Some could have been avoided by being forewarned. The engine has to be removed again because there was no free play in the clutch. You have to determine which clutch fork pivot ball you need (short or long). We didn't even know there was two different ones, our bad luck we used the short when we needed the long. Also, you need to be aware of which throwout bearing is proper, again long or short. We used short and it appears to be correct. When this is done and working properly (hopefully tomorrow) I will post all info which should help others. Good luck.

Best regards,
Gerry

Thanks again Gerry, Looks like a guy has to go the retail kit route. Seems that there is no using trans from wrecks. Good luck getting yours going tomorrow.

00fxd said:
Thanks again Gerry, Looks like a guy has to go the retail kit route. Seems that there is no using trans from wrecks. Good luck getting yours going tomorrow.

Not unless you are a masochist.

Gerry

I'm currently installing THREE T56 (Tremec 6-speed) into three mid year vettes. Any questions, just drop me an email... It can be done!:)

I have a Richmond 6 spd in my '63. It has the 3.27 first gear. With 4.11 rears and stout 327 making the power, it stands up in a big darn hurry. The only mod or cutting with the richmond was the that the tranny tunnel needed to be notched. HOWEVER, when the console is installed, you cannot tell that anything was done. Not real crazy about the Long shifter, but I guess that is to be expected after having a broken in Hurst with the 4spd.

magicv8 said:
Groovyjay - nice web site - is the 65 one of the cars getting the 6speed?

Thanks. My 65 will not be getting the 6-speed. The Grand Sport will have one and two other 65 coupes will have the other two.:beer

groovyjay said:
I'm currently installing THREE T56 (Tremec 6-speed) into three mid year vettes. Any questions, just drop me an email... It can be done!:)

Jay;
Are these T56 tremecs from Keisler or some other kit?
Frank.

00fxd said:
Jay;
Are these T56 tremecs from Keisler or some other kit?
Frank.

They are actually from Forte's. They come with an adapter plate that will bolt right up to your old bellhousing and it also has option for the mechanical speedo cable.

Jay
I had not seen at forte's site before. How well does the shifter fit a C2 with a TkO500/600?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom