Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

63 dipstick smoking

wjhpc

Corvette
1963 split window 340 hp and 62 300hp
My 63 340HP has a newly rebuilt engine and some crankcase vapor/smoke comes out the dipstick hole. Anyone had any experience on this? any reason to be concerned or is it just normal oil vapor smoke finding an outlet around the dipstick due to no positive crankcase ventilation feature?? thanks,

My 63 340HP has a newly rebuilt engine and some crankcase vapor/smoke comes out the dipstick hole. Anyone had any experience on this? any reason to be concerned or is it just normal oil vapor smoke finding an outlet around the dipstick due to no positive crankcase ventilation feature?? thanks,

My concern would be why is there no PCV setup? I'm not an expert, but I think there's supposed to be one. If there's no road draft tube and no PCV valve and the oil filler tube is sealed with a cap, where did you expect the cylinder blow-by pressure to go?

63 dipstick

My concern would be why is there no PCV setup? I'm not an expert, but I think there's supposed to be one. If there's no road draft tube and no PCV valve and the oil filler tube is sealed with a cap, where did you expect the cylinder blow-by pressure to go?
you are right - I had mistakenly assumed that 63 was too early for a pcv and when I did not see a vent tube to the valve cover, I thought it did not have such a set-up. on closer look, I see the pcv line going into the carb base. thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Check that the PCV is not sticking or gummed up. Your engine should make enough vacuum to draw those crankcase vapors through the carb to burn them in the engine. If it can't keep up you may have blowby past the piston rings. A leakdown test would tell you if your rings are holding within specs.

Welcome to the CAC,
Tom

'63 had a one-year-only PCV arrangement. The "intake" side had a hose from a nipple on the bottom front of the air cleaner base to the oil fill tube, and an adapter and small-OD pipe, then a hose, from the breather hole in the back of the block to the PCV valve on a brass tee at the rear of the carb base as the "exhaust" side.

:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom