Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

65/66 Nose Emblem

Tom Bryant

Administrator
Corvette
1959 black 270hp (9/2/69) 1981 Beige L81(10/20/80)
While digging for something else I found this NOS nose emblem. My old '72 parts book says 65/66. I looked in several aftermarket catalogs and some show one number as 65/66 and others have seperate numbers for '65 and '66 but the picture looks the same. So what's the difference if any? Did GM change something for 1966 and make it the service part for 1965?

On the back it is cast 3872929-66 and below it is cast PT. 3859046-65. The first number is the part number but is the second the '65 part number that it replaced?

I'd like to ID it and know the difference, if any, before I advertise it for sale.

Tom

Tom Bryant said:
While digging for something else I found this NOS nose emblem. My old '72 parts book says 65/66. I looked in several aftermarket catalogs and some show one number as 65/66 and others have seperate numbers for '65 and '66 but the picture looks the same. So what's the difference if any? Did GM change something for 1966 and make it the service part for 1965?

On the back it is cast 3872929-66 and below it is cast PT. 3859046-65. The first number is the part number but is the second the '65 part number that it replaced?

I'd like to ID it and know the difference, if any, before I advertise it for sale.

Tom

Hi Tom,
That kind of rings a bell for me.... a very foggy bell. I thought I read somewhere a long time ago that there was a year where an emblem had the black & white checkers on the flag reversed. But I may just be halucinating. :)

Another member told me that the red was more orange in '65 too. I remember something about the flag checkers being reversed on an emblem but can't remember what year that was.

Tom

Tom, I have a 66 coupe that was built in February 1966 and it has the exact emblem that you have pictured. My gas lid also has a white square in the upper left corner of the flag. I believe some of the 66's have a black square in the upper left corner of the flag on the gas lid. This change in color on the upper left corner of the flag on the gas lid was unique to the 66 year and depends on when the vehicle was built. Steve

Thanks Steve. That pretty well clears it up. Now if I just had a car to put it on.

Actually..........

From the pictures I've seen, you do have the vehicles to put it on, you just don't have them on the road;)

:L

I just happen to be all out of midyears at the moment. I do have a pair of NOS '65 Fuel Injection emblems that I am saving for the day I can buy a '65 Fuelie. That's my dream midyear. I've wanted a triple black 2 top convert with leather, knock offs and side pipes since they were new.:drool:

Tom

Tom Bryant said:
:L

I've wanted a triple black 2 top convert with leather, knock offs and side pipes since they were new.:drool:

Tom

You have to admire a man that knows what he wants!:L

Hi! Tom

I tried to look up the part numbers in my Chevrolet Corvette parts book but could only find the 66 part number: 3872929. I looked in the Paragon catalog and they offered two different emblems for 65 and the same late 65 emblem for 66.

I believe the black vs. white in the flag was for the hub cap centers for the 65 vs. 66. When I was restoring my caps for the 65 I almost purchased a set of 66 cap centers before I found out there was a difference.

Ray

That could be. I found a couple different references to the red color being lighter in '65. That must be it.

This part was just sold to a CAC member. Thanks for everyone's input. I have one piece of NOS ignition shielding to identify next. I'll start a new thread for that one.

Tom

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom