Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

65 battery gauge replacement

brumbach

Corvette
1965 convertible
What are the procedures to replace the battery gauge on a 65 vette? Is it possible to restrict the work at the gauge or do I have to pull the entire cluster? Thanks -- Bill

Bill, the battery gauge is attached to a stamped "pod", along with the fuel gauge; the "pod" is attached to the back of the cluster with three screws (see right side of photo below), and the "pod" has to come off the back of the cluster in order to remove the gauges. Some guys say if you have tiny hands you can remove the screws and work the "pod" out with the cluster in place without damaging the gauges in the withdrawal process, but I've never been able to do it. Maybe others will comment, but I'd pull the cluster to avoid damaging the gauges. :)

Well I dont know how you could get at the screws.

BUT

If you do have to pull the cluster its not too bad,

if you decide to pull the cluster I am sure every one will be able to chime in with some addtional information on how to remove the cluster.

Good Luck

Bill
The ammeter is the one guage that i was able to replace
with out removing the cluster assembly.This was done on
my previous car a 66.As i recall,removing the headlight switch
and hood release cable allowed the nessessary room to
navigate,then release the pod retainer and slip the meter out.
Plenty of patience and care is required for this task.
435er

Think about it

From personal experience, although it might be physically possible to get the pod out, by removing some of the items at the lower dash area, it will be much more difficult to re-install the pod without damaging the gauges, when it becomes time to put it all back in place.

Like everything else we dis-assemble, it's usually much easier to get things apart, then to get them back together correctly. :ugh

Good luck with your choices

Stepinwolf

From personal experience, although it might be physically possible to get the pod out, by removing some of the items at the lower dash area, it will be much more difficult to re-install the pod without damaging the gauges, when it becomes time to put it all back in place.

Like everything else we dis-assemble, it's usually much easier to get things apart, then to get them back together correctly. :ugh

Good luck with your choices

Stepinwolf

Just how difficult is it to remove the entire cluster? I'd rather take the shortcut but in my case, I usually wind up spending more time or as you mentioned causing avoidable damages. Thanks

Before I tear into replacing the ammeter, I suppose I better make sure it's dead first. The neetle sets all the way to the left. I have it unplugged from the rear but when I plug it up, the neetle jumps slightly when I start the car and then rests to the left. Sound dead to you?

The battery gauge has two connections - one to the battery cable stud on the starter solenoid, and one to a screw connection on the horn relay; it measures the voltage difference between those two points. With the connector removed from the gauge, you should read battery voltage at both terminals in the connector. If not, there's an open circuit in one of the sense wires, most likely inside the inboard multiple connector on the engine side of the fuse block. Check that before you do anything else.

:beer

Bill
Just a quick reminder,be very careful releasing
the tabs on the multiple connector.They may
have hardened over the years and snap
when manipulated.
435er

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom