Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

'65 coupe - estate sale

That's good news about the steering wheel. My '65 had the teakwood wheel. Very nice option.

As for starting it, after you have all of the service work done I would take the plugs out and also check inside the air cleaner for any signs of mice nests. Squirt some Marvel Mystery Oil in each cylinder and turn the engine over by hand a couple revolutions to make sure it is free and isn't trying to compress anything solid, like a mouse nest. Then either pull the distributor and use one of those pre-oilers on your drill to bring up oil pressure or crank it with the coil wire off til you get oil pressure. Make sure you have fresh gas to the carb, plug in the coil wire and light her off. Have a fire estinguisher close by just in case and watch for stuck floats ect.

Good luck,
Tom

First and foremost, I would take the Holley apart and replace the metering bolck and float bowl gaskets. They are bound to be shrunk. If they are, they will pour gas everywhere. Matter of fact, I think the stains on the manifold are actually gas stains from prior leaking.

carefree said:
transmission numbers--
I found a tag bolted on the side that reads 385758-- is this the serial number or where would the casting/ id numbers be--
3857580 was the 4-speed transmission assembly number for the 250hp and 300hp engines, 3857573 was used with the L-76 365hp engine, and 3857579 was used with the L-79 350hp engine; you'll also find the last six digits of the car's VIN stamped on the driver's side, vertically, on the rib at the rear of the main case. The original transmission had the following casting numbers:

Main Case - 3851325
Extension - 3846429 (through 2/65), 3857584 after 2/65
Side Cover - 3831707
:beer

that 3857580 tranny is your first non-L76 part . . . . or at least the tag is . . . .

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom