Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

'66 427 original sticker

J

Jonesy32

I am trying to find out how I can trace a VIN number down on a '66 427 Vette to the original sticker. This is all I can find out so far from the VIN number:
1=chevrolet
9=Corvette
4=V8
67= 2 door convertible
6=1966
S=made in St. Louis, MO
114947= sequential production number (14946th made)

The problem I am having is that the car has tri-power carbs on it and from what I have been told, those were not available until '67. But from all the research the restoration guys did the numbers on the manifold matched the block. Is it possible this car had the tri-power option prior to the full '67 production run? Again, the only way to find out, I guess, would be to trace back to the original sticker on this sucker!! I would appreciate any feedback from you guys.
Thanks!!

There should be a partial vin on the block unless it has been decked. This number should match your sequence number. It should be located on the passenger side of the block, in the front, on the pad just below the head.

Ah, the classic question. This is both the mystique and the bain of Corvette ownership.

You can't tell anything from the VIN. Chevrolet "claims" (conspiracy theorists, please chime in...) that there is no paperwork that links a VIN with the options the car was built with. Later, in 1967, Corvettes had a tank sticker that listed the build-out but those have been lost, torn destroyed and faked. Besides that won't help you on your '66.

As for the tri-power question, no. Check to see if there is a date code on the manifold. Odds are that it is a 67-up date. Better odds it's a shorter, lower profile 68-69 tri-power manifold as those are more common.

There are ways to tell if the car was an original big-block, even if the original engine is long gone. The existance of a rear sway bar is an easy first-glance way. The method that the rear half-shafts were connected to the side yokes of the diffy were different small-block to big-block. The list goes on.

My best suggestion to you is to read up on these great cars. NCRS is a treasure chest full of information. Get a Judging Guide for your '66, even if you're not planning on judging the car. An dstay tuned to this forum. The guys and gals here are very friendly and have been-there, done-that.

Best of luck! and welcome!

Midyrcoupe said:
Ah, the classic question. This is both the mystique and the bain of Corvette ownership.

You can't tell anything from the VIN. Chevrolet "claims" (conspiracy theorists, please chime in...) that there is no paperwork that links a VIN with the options the car was built with. Later, in 1967, Corvettes had a tank sticker that listed the build-out but those have been lost, torn destroyed and faked. Besides that won't help you on your '66.

As for the tri-power question, no. Check to see if there is a date code on the manifold. Odds are that it is a 67-up date. Better odds it's a shorter, lower profile 68-69 tri-power manifold as those are more common.

There are ways to tell if the car was an original big-block, even if the original engine is long gone. The existance of a rear sway bar is an easy first-glance way. The method that the rear half-shafts were connected to the side yokes of the diffy were different small-block to big-block. The list goes on.

My best suggestion to you is to read up on these great cars. NCRS is a treasure chest full of information. Get a Judging Guide for your '66, even if you're not planning on judging the car. An dstay tuned to this forum. The guys and gals here are very friendly and have been-there, done-that.

Best of luck! and welcome!
Couldn't have said it better myself. :beer

No such animal as a '66 tri-power; the date codes on the carburetors will end the question - they're stamped on the front surface of the upper air horns, just below the List number. They're only original production carburetors if the date codes are three digits (four digits are service replacements), and the first two digits will tell the story. Post the List numbers and date codes from all three carbs and we can decode them.

:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom