Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

66 air filter / holly carb fit problem

Ronald

Corvette
66 Coupe
I just bought a nice shiny new stock air filter canister for my 66 small block. Much to my dismay, it does not fit on my Holly 650 double pumper. The bottom portion of the canister will not seat because of the bulk of the carb. Anyone else experience such a problem? Not wanting to change my carb, does anyone have a suggestion for a similar looking 14" canister that will fit on my carb? I want it to look as stock as possible. Thanks.

Also, still looking for a photo of the underside of a 66 hood. I want to see how it looks where the "Stingray" emblem is placed.

My guess is that you may be able to get the air filter base to fit if you spend some time determining exactly where/how it interferes, and/or you could try a big block 66-72 air cleaner. Depending on the size and location of the interference, it may be possible to weld in an indentation that doesn't affect the mount surface of the element, or it may be possible to rotate the base a bit and add a second pilot/locator notch in the right position to seat it in the rotated position. I had a 750cfi Holley double-pumper on a 350 engine some years ago that I was able to fit a Corvette air cleaner to without a lot of modification. Unfortunately the car is long gone and I'm not positive which Corvette air cleaner I used (small block or big block).

Thanks Wayne. I looked at some after market canisters today and I think I will have the same problem with going to a 14" filter with any of them. Maybe I will cobble this one a bit to make it fit. At least it will look stock from the top.

Yeah, I guess that's another fear. I cobble the $350 canister and then the hood does not close! Well, one thing for sure I will not be adding a BB hood.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom