Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

67 427/400Hp Air Coupe

Hi Dave, Tom here, just another CAC member that would like to offer my best wishes & my prayers to you and your family. Bum deal about your brother-in-law! Anyway good luck and I hope things work out. Sorry to interrupt the business part of your thread but I just wanted to send my sentiments to a fellow member. I don't read much in the C1-C2 4 sale section. I can't afford to pay attention in this neighborhood, good luck with the sale!

Best wishes, Tom

Elusive 67 said:
Jim:

I just received my NCRS Judging Guide yesterday so now I can determine how the car rates against their standard. I will be at the NCRS Winter Regional at Old Town in mid January either in the For Sale corral or having the car Flight Judged to set a bench mark for those who care about those things.

The $85K price was based upon the wheels being original K-H bolt-ons. I have removed them and they are the Western Wheel K-H reproductions.

The car is still for sale. Make me an offer so I can get my garage back. My wife would appreciate it.
I have a good friend here in LA that had a maroon 400 AC car in collage......and he wants it back. He likes the looks of your car. I am trying to get him to book a reservation to Florida in January. It is hard to get Southern California people to travel to Florida ( or anywhere) in January. Phoenix is all they think about for a winter vacation and with Barrett-Jackson being the following weekend, it usually get's the nod. Too many choices.

Could you send your phone to me via private e-mail? I would like to discuss this with you over the phone. Thanks, and Happy Holidays to you and your family. I wish all great health for '05.
Jim

tomtom72 said:
Hi Dave, Tom here, just another CAC member that would like to offer my best wishes & my prayers to you and your family. Bum deal about your brother-in-law! Anyway good luck and I hope things work out. Sorry to interrupt the business part of your thread but I just wanted to send my sentiments to a fellow member. I don't read much in the C1-C2 4 sale section. I can't afford to pay attention in this neighborhood, good luck with the sale!

Best wishes, Tom
Tom:
Your note was very kind. I thank you for taking the time to mention my brother-in-law. His name is Tom also and I will pass on the good thoughts to my sister, Ginny. She can use them during this time of year.

If Ginny decides to come down to Florida during the Old Town NCRS Regional, I will introduced her to those I've been conversing with. She's a very special person. Once again, thank you for all your thoughts.

vettefinderjim said:
I have a good friend here in LA that had a maroon 400 AC car in collage......and he wants it back. He likes the looks of your car. I am trying to get him to book a reservation to Florida in January. It is hard to get Southern California people to travel to Florida ( or anywhere) in January. Phoenix is all they think about for a winter vacation and with Barrett-Jackson being the following weekend, it usually get's the nod. Too many choices.

Could you send your phone to me via private e-mail? I would like to discuss this with you over the phone. Thanks, and Happy Holidays to you and your family. I wish all great health for '05.
Jim
Jim, you have mail.

If your friend cannot get down here to Florida, I would be happy to arrange a meeting with someone you know well enough and trust to look the car over that lives in the area. Otherwise let me know what information you need.

By the way, so you all know, I just found out this morning while looking up some Corvette books on Amazon, that the guy who restored this car 12 years ago is fairly well known in the Corvette industry. His name is Richard (Richie) Prince and he has published a few Corvette Buyer's guides for the various models. I spoke with Richie just a few weeks ago about the engine and how they found it. He sold his restoration business years ago and he writes articles for various magazines and is a well-known photographer.

I have not totalled the receipts yet for the restoration but it appears to be over $50K invested to rebuild this car over 3 years

16 days and counting.How are you holding up.

Just to let you know it takes some folks years to prepare a car for flight judging (Especially me I have used almost every excuse in the book)

We lost our house sitter and baby sitter for the event (we were going to go with the entire family) I might just fly out with my son for the end of the week.

How am I holding up? Not well. My wife has me painting the inside of our house this past week. I have a 16' tall family room left to paint this upcoming weekend which will make the grand total applied to about 15 gallons of Sherwin-Williams Superpaint for one very tired homeowner. Anyone out there want to help?

Oh yeah, the car. You were asking me about the car! I found it very difficult to find someone I trust enough to work on this car who truly understands Corvettes. I 'interviewed' several mechanics with questions to test their knowledge and truthfullness. All crashed and burned except for the one who I found through alot of 'word and mouth'.

I have worked on cars and restored many boats in my youth so I'm fairly mechanically inclined. I just don't have the garage set up many of you do (timing guns, A/C gauges, floor jacks, stands, etc) to perform some basic tasks without investing more money. It is more cost efficient to pay a mechanic than to spend it on tools for a one-time use.

The mechanic I did (eventually) find has no sign on his garage which is set back about 800' off a small country road. He does not advertise, yet his shop is full of Corvettes-some from out of state. The only problem is that he is performing work on several cars going to the same NCRS Winter Regional show I am attending in Old Town. I have found my mechanic but he cannot get to my car in time for the show.

As far as me judging the car on my own with the NCRS manuals, I have determined that the car is a strong Second Flight candidate. I am very critical and possibly the harshest judge of the car. From my prior posts you already know what needs to be changed in order to have a chance at Top Flight. I have decided that I will leave the car 'as is' to allow the new owner the thrill of working on his quest to join the Top Flight catagory on a more relaxed timeline than a few weeks.

I will place the car in the For Sale Corral at Old Town this week after contacting Tyler. There is no point in Flight Judging it when I may miss a sales opportunity in the corral.

I just wanted to thank all of you on this board for the technical support and kind words. I have read quite a bit of valuable information contained here and your combined knowledge has been extremely useful. It's quite amazing how much information is available online. In reviewing the mountain of paperwork for the restoration, I see many hand-written notes by my Brother-in-Law 15 years ago requesting information from sources across the nation about this car. The return letters were also hand-written from people who were just plain 'ol fokes who really enjoyed Corvettes. Not all of them were correct in their information but it really emphasizes how far the car restoration/collecting hobby has come in just the last decade. The internet is a really powerful tool.

IH2LOSE:

Very off topic but I needed to tell you that your recent 62 yellow paint job is beautiful. The black interior will set if off nicely. Thanks for the support and I look forward to reading about YOUR car in the spring '05.

Yes, I will be lurking and learning-possibly posting when I have something to contribute.

I've grown quite fond of the 67 in the garage and I believe I'm getting the bug back. I may look to the future to build a mid-year, resto-mod but it needs to have rear exhausts. My wife doesn't like the smell of 100 octane CAM-2 coming out of the side exhausts on this car.

I had forgotten how much fun an old car is to drive. Maybe I've suppressed the memories but it reminds me of my high school days back in the early 1980s on Long Island, NY. My friends and I had a fleet of cars that would fill an evening at Barrett-Jackson. Here's what some of us had:

(3) 1970 Chevelle SS396, one with a Turbo 400 tranny
(1) 1970 Chevelle SS454 Convertible with 4-speed and A/C in triple black (man, how much would that be worth today!)
(1) 1970 Monte Carlo SS454 and Turbo 400. This car could do mid-13s from the factory. We called it mom's car because it was such a sleeper. It was your everyday dark green with a white landau roof but would kill you off the line.
(1) 1969 Camaro 396, 4-speed, convertible
(1) 1969 Camaro 302 and 4 speed

These were the cars I grew up with! We used to go down to 'the avenue' AKA Route 231 in Deer Park, NY. We parked at the Pathmark 24-hour grocery so the cops couldn't throw us out. Late night on weekends there were a few hundred cars cruising up and down 231. When the players showed up, the talk would turn to money and/or pink slips. We usually raced at around 2-3 a.m. on some predetermined destination and saw some wild battles. The Avenue was featured in several magazines back then and the law enforcement became too much. Great times, though.

I eventually bought my first car in 1982: a 1979 Camaro Berlinetta with a 305 and 4-speed. That car went with me to college in Florida which explains why I never bought that '69 396 Camaro I pined for. I upgraded the suspension, tires and rims, and added a true dual exhaust to the Camaro. My main goal was to create a car that could handle corners very well and I succeeded.

Unfortunately, that Camaro gave itself up in an accident and saved my life in a T-bone with a red light runner. I eventually bought my brother's car, a 1976 Datsun 280Z with a wonderful 170Hp straight six. That car was light and fun to drive in SCCA Solo-2 competitions. I sold that car when I received my engineering degree and bought--you guessed it--a 1989 IROC camaro with a 350V8. You know what IROC stands for: Idiot Right Outta College. I raced in local autocrosses with that car but it ate me up with insurance bills when I moved back to NY. I needed to pay $5,200 per year if I kept it! Needless to say, I moved to a placid japanese car and have been an automotive Eunuch since until the Corvette arrived. I drive BMWs now because I still like a daily driver car that handles well.

Anyway, that's my little boring automotive story. So, you will see me from time to time posting but I will mostly be lurking.

Elusive 67 said:
Yes, I will be lurking and learning-possibly posting when I have something to contribute.

I've grown quite fond of the 67 in the garage and I believe I'm getting the bug back. I may look to the future to build a mid-year, resto-mod but it needs to have rear exhausts. My wife doesn't like the smell of 100 octane CAM-2 coming out of the side exhausts on this car.

I had forgotten how much fun an old car is to drive. Maybe I've suppressed the memories but it reminds me of my high school days back in the early 1980s on Long Island, NY. My friends and I had a fleet of cars that would fill an evening at Barrett-Jackson. Here's what some of us had:

(3) 1970 Chevelle SS396, one with a Turbo 400 tranny
(1) 1970 Chevelle SS454 Convertible with 4-speed and A/C in triple black (man, how much would that be worth today!)
(1) 1970 Monte Carlo SS454 and Turbo 400. This car could do mid-13s from the factory. We called it mom's car because it was such a sleeper. It was your everyday dark green with a white landau roof but would kill you off the line.
(1) 1969 Camaro 396, 4-speed, convertible
(1) 1969 Camaro 302 and 4 speed

These were the cars I grew up with! We used to go down to 'the avenue' AKA Route 231 in Deer Park, NY. We parked at the Pathmark 24-hour grocery so the cops couldn't throw us out. Late night on weekends there were a few hundred cars cruising up and down 231. When the players showed up, the talk would turn to money and/or pink slips. We usually raced at around 2-3 a.m. on some predetermined destination and saw some wild battles. The Avenue was featured in several magazines back then and the law enforcement became too much. Great times, though.

I eventually bought my first car in 1982: a 1979 Camaro Berlinetta with a 305 and 4-speed. That car went with me to college in Florida which explains why I never bought that '69 396 Camaro I pined for. I upgraded the suspension, tires and rims, and added a true dual exhaust to the Camaro. My main goal was to create a car that could handle corners very well and I succeeded.

Unfortunately, that Camaro gave itself up in an accident and saved my life in a T-bone with a red light runner. I eventually bought my brother's car, a 1976 Datsun 280Z with a wonderful 170Hp straight six. That car was light and fun to drive in SCCA Solo-2 competitions. I sold that car when I received my engineering degree and bought--you guessed it--a 1989 IROC camaro with a 350V8. You know what IROC stands for: Idiot Right Outta College. I raced in local autocrosses with that car but it ate me up with insurance bills when I moved back to NY. I needed to pay $5,200 per year if I kept it! Needless to say, I moved to a placid japanese car and have been an automotive Eunuch since until the Corvette arrived. I drive BMWs now because I still like a daily driver car that handles well.

Anyway, that's my little boring automotive story. So, you will see me from time to time posting but I will mostly be lurking.
Again best of luck with the sale.

Ps I have to come to florida on buisness from the 13th till the 18th and maybee exstending till the NCRS show. I be in between clearwater and orlando depending on the my work schedule.

Larry:

If you're in Orlando give me a call (407) 493-8090 and we can get together for a beer. I'll take you over to Roger's Corvettes and maybe he'll show us his collection. I stopped over there when I first got the car before Thanksgiving. I didn't even think to look in his showroom for the collection. I'll take you there in the 67.

If not, maybe I'll see you at the NCRS show (just mention your IH2Lose handle and I'll know exactly who you are). There's going to be alot of the CAC guys there from the coversations I've read.
-Dave

Elusive 67

stick around, I'm sure may of us have simular tales. I was 30 years between Vettes. the summer of 99 I was looking for another car and was tired of buying what my wife liked and I bought my 76 it was somewhat of a basket case, but I had it up and running in a week.
I was supprised at how much fun it was to drive again. Last August I added a C-5 and have been driving the wheels off that
;LOL

I have family in town visiting Friday through Monday Any chance you can reverse your schedule? I could get together Friday afternoon before they get here if your available.

SOLD!

Car sold on first day of NCRS WinterRegionals to a fine gentleman who Jim Gessner (Vettefinder Jim) spoke with on my behalf. Jim is as gracious a person I have ever spoken with. He is a treasure to the hobby. I had over 35 people scheduled to meet me at this show later this weekend. It sold in 4 hours.

I must say I did get attached to the car the more I worked on it, no matter how hard I tried to stay neutral about it. I was truly sad after the handshake and the deal was done. I just rolled up the windows, started the car , turned on the radio and sat there for a few minutes, taking it all in. Amazing feelings generated by this car.

My sister, Ginny and I would like to thank all of you on this, and the Corvette Forum for all your help.

A special thank you also to John Hinkley (JohnZ) for his guidance.

Thank you to Tyler Townsley for helping me with the NCRS show arrangements.

Thanks also to the folks at NCRS who allowed me to register under my Brother-in-Law's old number: 15085

I'll keep an eye out on the boards and post when I can help out. In the mean time, my golf game needs work...by the way I saw this beautiful 64 Convertible I was wondering about....!

Best Regards to all
Dave Hanington
Orlando, FL

This is great news,Congradulations to you and your sister,No good dead goes un-noticed.it was a great thing you did!

Sorry I could not hook up with you I had an insane week in florida last week I was at the orlando convention center (in sea world I think) and never had a minute of free time. Again I hope you stop in to say hello from time to time.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom