Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Leake Auction Co. to Offer Rare 1967 L89 Corvette at no Reserve

Rob

Site Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Corvette
1990 Corvette ZR-1
Last month, Leake Auction Co. had secured the Tom Falbo Collection of more than 100 cars which will be offered at no reserve at its sale February 20, 2016 in Oklahoma City. Included in those 100 cars are 40 classic Corvette which Leake hired Roy Sinor, a well known National Judge Chairman for the National Corvette Restoration Society (NCRS) to examine. Sinor determined that one of those Corvettes, a 1967 convertible in Marlboro Maroon with a white stinger hood and interior, is one of only sixteen L89 Corvettes built that year.

This particular one, VIN 194677S121397, has a 427 cid, 435-horsepower big-block V8 with only 110 miles showing on the odometer!

Along with that powerful V8, this Corvette also comes equipped with power steering and brakes, an original GM-issued trim tag dated June 21, 1967, has a St. Louis-built convertible body number S8917, trim code 988AA, engine assembly code T0512IU, which designated an L89 engine, and the engine was built May 12, 1967.

Signor was so surprised to discover one of these special Corvettes that he decided to call in two other experts to examine the car and confirm his discovery.

From the Leake Auction Co. listing, below are options and highlights of this extraordinary Corvette:

• 427 CI / 435 HP aluminum head L89 V-8 engine
  • Manual 4-speed transmission
  • Original GM issued trim tag with Jun 21, 1967 date, St Louis
  • Convertible body S8917
  • Trim code of 455BE indicating white/black interior, no headrests, no power windows and soft top only
  • Paint code of 988AA indicating Marlboro Maroon
  • Engine Assembly code of T0512IU on the engine pad indicating a L89 engine assembled May 12th 1967
  • VIN derivative on the engine pad is 71213973904351
  • 4 bolt main engine block was cast March 31 1967
  • A 1967 Corvette convertible with a motor cast in March, machined and assembled in May, placed in a Corvette built in June.
  • 1 of 16 L89'S as with the majority of these collector cars there is no GM documentation.
  • Roy Sinor, the most recent retired NCRS National Judging Chairman, having served in that capacity for seventeen years and one of eight NCRS members to receive the lifetime achievement award in the 40 plus year history of the organization, inspected the vehicle and has confirmed all of the visible body tags, casting dates and casting numbers appear correct.
  • Part of the Falbo collection selling without reserve on Saturday

Attachments

• 155227_okc16501.jpg
    155227_okc16501.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 168
  • 155233_okc16501b.jpg
    155233_okc16501b.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 170
  • 155239_okc16501c.jpg
    155239_okc16501c.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 170
  • 155244_okc16501d.jpg
    155244_okc16501d.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 170
  • 155256_okc16501f.jpg
    155256_okc16501f.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 173
  • 155268_okc16501h.jpg
    155268_okc16501h.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 180
  • 155262_okc16501g.jpg
    155262_okc16501g.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 174
  • 155274_okc16501i.jpg
    155274_okc16501i.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 174
I've heard that of the original 16 built, less than 200 are still on the road. :chuckle

Mac

Maybe I'll get to drive it!

Our club has been asked to help move all these cars from the warehouse to the auction site next month. Maybe I'll get a chance to drive one of the Vettes in the auction and something else.

I believe 3,754 427-435s were produced and only 16 with the aluminum heads. Quite a rare find.

Tuna,
A picture of you sitting it would be nice!

Tuna,
A picture of you sitting it would be nice!
I'll make sure I have a camera. If they let me, I'll sit in it have someone take a picture.

Last edited:
Judging by today's various auctions; I doubt today's buyers give a hoot about all numbers match. I've probably seen more Chevelle SS LS5 or 6s, Hemi this or that etc sold at auction than were made back in the day. Rarely, the announcers say all numbers matching which leads me to believe the others were a plain Jane car made into a rare car.

All the buyers want is to drive a "cool" car; the car, the one they wanted long ago. Whatever floats their boat.

The advertisement does confirm that the numbers do indeed match on this car. That does not mean necessarily that the component in question (the engine) is the original.

The phrase 'matching numbers' is pretty much meaningless today.

The advertisement does confirm that the numbers do indeed match on this car. That does not mean necessarily that the component in question (the engine) is the original.

The phrase 'matching numbers' is pretty much meaningless today.

I noticed the ad.

I enjoy watching the auctions on TV. I've also noticed it is rare moment when the talking heads say all numbers matching. So that out to tell us something. True, it's worse than pretty meaningless today.

It's all opinion; however, I find it pretty sad when a resto-mod sells for more at auction than a real original.

It's all opinion; however, I find it pretty sad when a resto-mod sells for more at auction than a real original.
This might not be a popular opinion but to someone who wants modern ride, performance and reliability, a resto-mod is worth more than an all original.
For those who want to play the NCRS game, enjoy! I have no interest in doing so. I'm glad the NCRS are there since that helped to create and sustain the parts market. I would rather own a well done resto-mod than an all original.

While the rare beasties like this L89 deserve to be exceptional, the average Corvette is still a mass-produced car. The rare beastie should not be driving up the prices of the non-exceptional vehicles. The $$$ spoils the hobby.

Mac

The auction cars were moved today. Besides Corvettes there were lots of land yacht, a Porsche, 2 Vipers, muscle cars, Yenko Camaro, and more.
I got to drive several out of the warehouse for staging in the parking lot. When it came to the 427/435 Vette, one of my club members got to it before I did but I did get his picture.
Leake5.jpg
Only he didn't get to drive it after this shot as it wouldn't start again.

Many of the cars needed a boost to get started and the auction people warned us to make sure the brakes worked before driving them to the auction site.

The previous owner didn't drive them after buying them, so many were difficult to get going.

Here's the first line up of 20 Vettes

Leake2.jpg

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom