Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

'67 Corvette Script valve covers..what is correct?

Tripleblack51

Corvette
C7 Z06 /1967 Coupe
Help me out here guys,
On my '67 the scripted valve covers have a dull finish to them.
I have seen several that are polished.

How did they come from GM originally?
Polished or dull?

Thanks,

Pedro

Dull. Evenly dull. And clean.

Google "jerry mcneish" and "z28" and "camaro" and "maryland". You want to find the website of a business in Maryland owned by Jerry McNeish (sp?) that specializes in Z28s in particular and Camaros in general. He repairs aluminum and "reskins" finned aluminum valve covers. His website has pictures.

Pedro

Jerry MacNeish (see link in Tigernuts post) seems to have the consenus for being the best.
here is a link to a thread over at the other forum also asking about valve covers and includes excellent pics from JohnZ (you know he has pictures of EVERYTHING) and vref showing Jerry's work and how good they look after he does his reskinning process.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=1098564&forum_id=4

I'm hoping to send my valve covers, intake manifold and exhaust manifolds to Jerry over the winter.

Thank you all for your replies guys,

Mine have a dull finish (and they're clean too) to them and I had a feeling that that is the way they looked from factory.

I'm gonna leave 'em that way.

Barry, In the near future, I will send my coupe into the body shop for a "make-over".
I want to fix some alignment and paint issues.
My paint & body guy is excellent, but his bread and butter is in insurance work.
He has told me that he would keep my car for about a year.

I'm having a tough time dealing with being without my car for that long
This guy has the habit of giving you a long timeline then delivering ahead of it.
His work is awesome and I trust him. Two big reasons to go to him.
I've sent him a few of my friends and they were thrilled with his work.

Anyhoo, be well.

Pedro:w

Pedro

yeah, it's not easy being without it for so long. Mine will be about 10 months by the time i get her back but at least most of that time was during winter when she would be stored anyway so it didn't hurt as bad - it's only been the last 2 months or so (warm weather) that it's started to make me impatient. you have nice driving weather pretty much year round so it would be even harder on you. Must be nice to be able to enjoy your car year round!
my guy specializes in older Vettes and only rarely takes in other cars so insurance work doesn't interfer, but he is a one-man operation and usually has so many jobs in the shop at once that it just takes him a long time to get jobs completed.
You know that we expect you to take lots of progress pics when you do send your car in :D

They took them out of the mold and boxed or racked them for installation. Nothing was done to change the surface from as cast in any way. They may have trimmed the casting flash from the edges but that's it. I have some new ones and you can see every detail of the mold and even some flow pattern of the aluminum.

I agree that Jerry MacNeish does the best job of making them look original as anyone can other than finding a NOS pair.

Anybody have any suggestions on how to care for them besides soap and water? I'm afraid to use any metal polish.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom