Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: 68 Front End Cracking

Gary68

Corvette
1968 Coupe
I had this on general but am looking for additional suggestions or help. I am restoring my 68 and of course if you have owned one, you know they are infamous for front end stress around the area behind the headlights at and around both sides of the hood. In 69 they tried/fixed ? to resolve that with a reinforcement outside the hood around both corners. I know when I look at some/most 69's you can still see the rivets they used on the reinforcement. Maybe something you can't get away from. Does anyone know of a kit or procedure to reinforce that area in a 68 so the cracking of the paint does not re occur? Before I get it painted I need to address that. I had one suggestion of a bracket to install on each side. I would appreciate any help from anyone who has restored a 68 and had the same problem and what did you do?

Thanks,

Add the '69 and later reinforcements. I installed a pair on my '68. Stiffens things up consderably and do not show after they're installed.

Brackets.jpg

yb.gif

Catalogue page is from Corvette Central.

:)

Add the '69 and later reinforcements. I installed a pair on my '68. Stiffens things up consderably and do not show after they're installed.

Brackets.jpg

yb.gif

Catalogue page is from Corvette Central.

:)
Yepers,That will help considerably!! Been there done that!!:upthumbs

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom