Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

68 heater core replacement

brumbach

Corvette
1965 convertible
Is it possible to remove and replace the 68 non a/c heater core from the engine compartment side?

Is it possible to remove and replace the 68 non a/c heater core from the engine compartment side?
If I Remember correctly,(been about 20yr's on a 68)you have to do it from the Inside!!I believe all C3's come out that way!!:upthumbs

I did my 76 5 years ago, it brings to mind the old saying that the heater core is the first part installed on a C-3 and the car is built around it ;LOL

I don't think it can be removed from the firewall side

Don't forget the 68 Corvette was the worst Corvette ever built. Everything was fallin apart during their testing. Besides remember first year cars are usually lemons. 68 was the first car of the C-3.

Don't forget the 68 Corvette was the worst Corvette ever built. Everything was fallin apart during their testing. Besides remember first year cars are usually lemons.

I believe thats a matter of opinion, not a fact and has nothing to do with the replacement of the heater core.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. :D

Hi

I replaced the core last winter on my early 68.
Must be removed from the inside.
Not realy difficult on a non AC car.
Be ready to rework the heater box, specially the seal on the cold air flapper as it becomes very brittle after 40 years and falls into dust.

@ abc

Don't forget that the 68 is the real shark, original.
All later models are only copies.

Thats my opinion. A car that survived near to 40 years couldn't have fallen apart , could it ?

This bad name is just been adopted from a stupid car tester in 68 and that was just his opinion. Sorry, but even today, I often have to laugh about this car tester's stupid comments.

Today , 68th are beautifull strong cars and belong to the real muscle power area.

Have fun. Günther

The 68 model run was the initial C3 style build. There were supposed to be some quality issues with regard to fit and finish according to some sources but I would certainly think that they were dealt with under warranty at that time. If they were not dealt with under warranty I would certainly think that someone would have corrected them in the last 38 years.

With that aside the early sharks 68,69, and 70 were the purest form of performance sharks. Little or no polution controls, high compression ratios, real performance engines and made to run on real leaded high test. And most of all chrome bumpers. That was how the c3's were designed to look, chrome bumpers front and rear.

Not that I would be prejudiced.

Besides remember first year cars are usually lemons. 68 was the first car of the C-3.

Yea the old first year car myth, you better get rid of that 05 before it falls prey to the "First year" syndrome

I happen to like both of my "first year" models ;)

Thanks to you all who came to the rescue of the 68 reputation. The car belongs to my son. I own a 65. He loves the car...it's his pride and joy. He spends every free moment tinkering with it, as do I on my 65. I didn't let him read the negative comment for fear he might lose interest in his treasure.

I remember during my early teens, we used to ridicule the nash (and its owner). Someone made a hit song about the nash didn't they! I'll bet a fully restored nash on B&J will bring a pretty penny today...and even if it won't someone out there had one and has fond memories of it and would love to own one today........ What's the old saying "one man's trash is another's treasure".

Don't forget the 68 Corvette was the worst Corvette ever built. Everything was fallin apart during their testing. Besides remember first year cars are usually lemons. 68 was the first car of the C-3.
68 427 Roadster is my Shark of choice!!! They were just a little different is all,I don't know they were any less Reliable!! But maybe I'm just partial because that was my First Vette!!I really wish I had it back!!:upthumbs
attachment.php

Well I must say that the 68 is also unique in other ways such as the only year of C-3 with ignition in dash, flat passenger dash no map pockets, door panels were unique to that year, steering wheel was larger, the wheels were smaller than 69, There was no emblem above gills, push button handles, 4 tailights that all 4 light up, and reverse lights were under bumper. Also first year of the 3 spd. auto Turbo 400 trans on Corvette , no column lock, used 327 sm. blk instead of 350.
I do agree that after all of this time since 68 alot of the problems were fixed or dealt with.

Well I must say that the 68 is also unique in other ways such as the only year of C-3 with ignition in dash, flat passenger dash no map pockets, door panels were unique to that year, steering wheel was larger, the wheels were smaller than 69, There was no emblem above gills, push button handles, 4 tailights that all 4 light up, and reverse lights were under bumper. Also first year of the 3 spd. auto Turbo 400 trans on Corvette , no column lock, used 327 sm. blk instead of 350.
I do agree that after all of this time since 68 alot of the problems were fixed or dealt with.

I'm surprised you did so much research on a car you think is junk... :eyerole

You have to remember for the moment in time these cars were built they represented the best technology Detroit was rolling of the line. Don't forget the styling genius.

The issues with 68 had more to do with fit and finish. The assembly line had to learn how to assemble the new cars. I've compared these cars side by side with later year bumper cars and it's really quite fascinating how GM pulled it all together. Do a frame off on one of these old sharks some time and you may change your opinion.

junk,
You best go hunt you a buzzard cuz if my youngun don't get this so called worst built piece of "junk" I'm gonna be laid to rest in it! ;LOL

Along with my Colt Python they are gonna have to pry my dead, cold fingers off it!

Later.....

Obviously you don't own a '68...and they certainly ARE NOT the worst Corvettes ever built and are not lemons.

I'm keeping mine.
:)

I remember during my early teens, we used to ridicule the nash (and its owner). Someone made a hit song about the nash didn't they!
Beep beep, beep beep, it's horn went beep beep beep!

On a related note - the 'worst Corvette' SURELY wasn't built in St. Louis!!!!!
Just my opinoin (although a popular one this time)
Craig

That's because my in-laws have one:ugh :eyerole :r :r

:cry I feel terrible that your in-laws were taken advantage of and stuck with such a lemon!

We have laws against that here in Texas. Please go back and tell them about the hard work you've done to make things right and that you've convinced us of their horrible plight. In order to make things right I'd be happy to take their car back and refund 100% of the 1968 sticker price. It's the least that can be done.

:)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom