Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! 69 Overheating - Big Block

When you got the seal kit, did you get the big rubber seal that goes across the top of the radiator support? It seals the the top of the support against the hood. When I redid the seals on my '69 BB, that particular seal wasn't part of the kit and was sold separately.

**Off topic** Kpic, not sure what happened with your response to the "Aero" thread but just received an email notification with 15 pages of hexadecimal garbage...weird stuff..

Although this is way off topic for this thread. Otter, you poised an honest question which deserves and honest answer. Or if what happened bothered you enough to ask; IMO. you're a good guy, therefore, you deserve an answer..
Essentially, what happened beats me. Mac commented when he used the site's link button what happened didn't happen unless he copied and pasted the link only as I did..

Lessons learned are important and I learned a lesson.. Simply said to prevent such manure from happening in the future; use the site's insert link. In the past, it was so much simpler simply to copy and paste..
;)

Although this is way off topic for this thread. Otter, you poised an honest question which deserves and honest answer. Or if what happened bothered you enough to ask; IMO. you're a good guy, therefore, you deserve an answer..
Essentially, what happened beats me. Mac commented when he used the site's link button what happened didn't happen unless he copied and pasted the link only as I did..

Lessons learned are important and I learned a lesson.. Simply said to prevent such manure from happening in the future; use the site's insert link. In the past, it was so much simpler simply to copy and paste..
;)

:L Your response is much appreciated.

Same problem for years

I had the exact thing happening on my 72 big block. Tried everything like you did. At the time I was running a Mallory dual point distributor with mechanical advance. Awesome distributor BTW. I decided to start going in the NCRS direction 5 years ago and replaced the Mallory with the original single point , vac advance distributor with correct tags etc. The car doesn't over heat EVER not even on 100 degree days in the summer. The problem was the Mallory starts out at 8 degrees retarded so when the mechanical advance kicks in the spark is the proper degrees advance. So at idle it is so far retarded it over heats the engine. Increase the rpm's like when driving and the spark goes back to proper degrees advance and the engine goes back to normal temps. I now have the original distributor adjusted to work just as good if not better than the Mallory and never worry about over heating again.

Hi CAC team

need your help. 69 is overheating at idle and low speeds.....ok on highway.

radiator had leak repaired and flow checked, both ok.

new 160 thermostat installed. Fresh antifreeze.

has electric fan in front of radiator.

overflow tank has sufficient coolant in it

dont know where to go next to get it resolved. Please help!

Ernie
I realise this is an anecdotal 'survey of one' - search/see my old post - Tufoil
I caught on to it, talking to Ron Fellows (near the beginning of his career) who was sponsored by a 'comparable product. He was winning, against a more experienced driver in the Players sealed engine, spec series. At this sponsor signing, he said that the (other) product - reduced friction, ran cooler, idled slower, etc.
Used it, ever since in my DD and 4cycle outboard!

I had the exact thing happening on my 72 big block. Tried everything like you did. At the time I was running a Mallory dual point distributor with mechanical advance. Awesome distributor BTW. I decided to start going in the NCRS direction 5 years ago and replaced the Mallory with the original single point , vac advance distributor with correct tags etc. The car doesn't over heat EVER not even on 100 degree days in the summer. The problem was the Mallory starts out at 8 degrees retarded so when the mechanical advance kicks in the spark is the proper degrees advance. So at idle it is so far retarded it over heats the engine. Increase the rpm's like when driving and the spark goes back to proper degrees advance and the engine goes back to normal temps. I now have the original distributor adjusted to work just as good if not better than the Mallory and never worry about over heating again.

X2!
In addition to everything else mentioned; check the distributor advance and timing..

Plus, even if everything looks stock; it may not be a vacuum advance. Back in the day, stock distributors were converted to mechanical and the springs were swapped. All it took was a Sun Distributor machine and someone who knew how to use it. The vacuum hose was plugged with BBs.
:D

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom