Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Restore or Replace Radiator

S

SRReality

I've developed a leak on the upper passenger side rear of my radiator. It's a stock Harrison and I don't know it's history, other than it's 48 years old. My engine is a low mileage GM crate 350, so not original. Cooling has "always" been an issue since I've owned it (7 years now), but this summer seems to be worse. I've checked all the usual suspects: coolant, radiator cap, timing, thermostat, hoses, shroud, etc. It doesn't have a fan clutch installed, but it does have an electric auxiliary fan on the front of the radiator, with a switch under the dash. I've turned it on in a couple of parades, but otherwise don't use it.

Question is: send it to a radiator shop and have it rebuilt or buy a new Dewitt's or Wizard to replace it. Since my power train isn't original, I don't think the value is going to be affected by installing a good, after market aluminum radiator.

What say, Corvette gurus? :upthumbs

Since it's "just" a nice ride, I wouldn't bother restoring and old radiator. All the radiator shop does is solder your tanks to a new core if you can actually find a real radiator shop anywhere. EPA has drove most out. Just be shure it is matched to the car considering engine and A/C if added.

Since it's "just" a nice ride, I wouldn't bother restoring and old radiator. All the radiator shop does is solder your tanks to a new core if you can actually find a real radiator shop anywhere. EPA has drove most out. Just be shure it is matched to the car considering engine and A/C if added.

I haven't had a radiator "rebuilt" in about 30 years, but my instincts told me it was either a dying art or the EPA had killed them. It appears that Wizard, DeWitt and Griffin all have replacement radiators to fit. I bought a Wizard for a TR3 project I'm doing and it fit perfectly and is beautifully made.

Since it's a 62, it should have the Harrison aluminum stacked plate design. I would not consider a repair, it's just too deteriorated by now to take a chance on. Check with Dewitt's, they have the Direct fit:

DeWitts - Product Detail

and also the correct restoration radiator:

DeWitts - Product Detail

either one should keep your 350 cool.

If it's the original Harrison aluminum radiator, it can't be repaired; you'll need to replace it. Tom DeWitt can take care of you. :)

If it's the original Harrison aluminum radiator, it can't be repaired; you'll need to replace it. Tom DeWitt can take care of you. :)

What makes the DeWitt worth $75 more than a Wizard? :confused

I'll back-up what "John Z" says. You can't repair those old Harrison aluminum radiators. You're going to have to get a replacement.

As for what to replace it with, I have a Griffin in my 71 coupe. It's been in the car for a number of years and has worked quite well. DeWitts, also, makes a good product which is popular in the hobby because the company specializes in Corvette radiators.

What makes the DeWitt worth $75 more than a Wizard? :confused

The worth of the radiator is something each purchaser would have to decide for her/himself. If you want a radiator that looks like and works as well as an original Harrison, then DeWitt is the only game in town.

Jim

The Dewitt has cast aluminum necks, whilst the Wizard has formed/welded necks. That would be one reason for higher price, plus, as has been said, Dewitt specializes in Corvette radiators, so the fit will probably not be a problem. I'll go with the D.

Thanks for the input here. I'm getting this car ready to sell, so I'm trying not to spend any more than I have to, but it needs a radiator before it's ready to go.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom