Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! 69 Radio Upgrade

G

GWOTVET

I am almost there with my 69 Stingray Restoration. I do want to upgrade my sound system, but I want to retain the orginal look. Checking to see if there are any suggestions

1. have an original style radio upgraded with new components.
2. get a radio from one of the Corvette vendors that look ok in the c3 dash but are not original.
3. keep the original radio and install a hidden radio system with a remote.

good luck!!

I had my 72 radio upgraded with the electronics. Worked for about 3 months before it died. I have to pull it back out when ever I get a chance. Pretty much threw away $400 so far.

I had my factory radio upgraded by Vintage Auto Radio and have been very happy with it. I have my original factory bezel cut for a modern DIN radio for sale here in the C3 parts section.

PITA.

Been there, done that.
:thumb

Tell me about it. I rarely sub out work on my vettes. Body & paint- yes, engine machine work-yes, radio- yes. Well the engine machine work is suspect now and the radio doesn't work. The radio was out twice already and back but still no good. I listen the exhaust now! I have the 69 stripped to the glass but I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it now. Could be a long term project for my golden years, gas should be about $8 a gallon then!:eyerole

I'd like to find the optional OEM 8 track for my 69.

Years ago I got an extra door for the right rear compartment and stuffed it full of stereo with the stereo facing up through the door. I cut a speaker board that was the shape of the rear wall, it just slid in flat and sat right on top of the hump all the way in the back but about 5" from the back all. I cut holes in the board and put the biggest Mid I could find on it, a couple of tweets, covered the holes with some wire mesh and put black speaker cloth over the whole thing. I pulled the rear compartment light and mounted it on the board and put some long wire on it. It sort of just hung there, I didn't attach it at all. It never moved, the way the back is desiged it sound great so it didn't need a box or insullation. It was just a speaker board. To easy. I upgraded the stereo to a Sony Disk Jockey but once my hearing went to Poo I took it out. No permanent damage (to the car), just the snipped wire for the rear light. That's all back to original now though. The best part was, with the board all the way in the back and the light mounted on it, you couldn't see it and it looked bone stock.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom