Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

70 vette

paltieri

Corvette
1970 coupe
I recently purchased a 1970 L46. ID 194370S400307.
The engine ID is stamped on the oil filter housing which seems to be rare from people I have talked to. Does anyone know why and how many were done this way?
Is ther someone I can contact to answer these questions?

I agree the stamping near the oil filter is out of the ordinary, but stranger things have happened. As you probably know, '69 production ran long because of the strike while 1970 production was "late" getting started. Your car (#307) is one of the very early 70s and may be atypical of later 1970 production.

You might try the NCRS Judging Manual for the 70 models to see if the NCRS has documented other instances of the stamping near the oil filter.

Have you checked the pad at the front of the right head?

:)

From the 70-72 NCRS Technical Manual...."In the first three to five days of production for1970 an alternate location for the stamped information was used. The number is above the oil filter on the side of the cylinder case just in front of the bell housing". You have a nice low production number.
Regards,
Alan

Some of those early ones had '69 engines as well.......nice find!

From the 70-72 NCRS Technical Manual...."In the first three to five days of production for1970 an alternate location for the stamped information was used. The number is above the oil filter on the side of the cylinder case just in front of the bell housing". You have a nice low production number.
Regards,
Alan

Bingo. #307 would have been second or third day of production, possibly a little later. First week of production for sure.

Bingo. #307 would have been second or third day of production, possibly a little later. First week of production for sure.

It says A06 on my interior plate. I believe that January6th. Do you think there is any record of the total of engines stamped in this matter?

Regards,
Alan
Thanks, is there any record showing how many were made like this?

...It says A06 on the interior plate. I believe that January 6th...

Yep. Tuesday, January 6, 1970. If they worked on Friday, January 2, then your car got her trim tag on the third day of production. If they were off on Friday, then she's a second day car.

All of the GM records for production are stored next to the Ark of the Covennant in a vast wharehouse somewhere in the mountains of Colorado. No one knows where it is. You can get some production numbers on a number of Vette websites but if you want to know how many cars of a particular combination were built you can forget it. You can find out how many had AC, or PW but no records exist as to how many AC PW cars were built. There is no sense getting carried away trying to find that info as it will not add value to the car, as a matter fact it wil be a PIA when you want to sell the car. You will have to prove this to every buyer and many will not believe you because everyone has read where to check for matching numbers.

Thanks, is there any record showing how many were made like this?

Apparently this position for the stamp only lasted about a week. You might be able to find weekly ending serial numbers somewhere, but otherwise you can only make an educated guess. They averaged about 120 cars a day with two shifts when things were flowing smoothly. 120 a day for five working days gives you about 600 cars.

Questimate only.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom